Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 14th May

Comments (355)

• bafan says:

If anyone has a Costa Coffee referral code they want to share go for it :).

• Richard says:

Thanks 🙂
    I5P8R

• Ross says:

Looking to book Jersey for the start of June. In Rob’s article on 10 May he mentions that the wait for the PCR test from the airport is 6-12 hours – is there a source (even if anecdotal) for this?
    I visited Jersey last September and it took almost exactly 24h for me to get the result. Granted I arrived on a flight at 7pm so the test probably wasn’t processed until the next day, but I assume if this would still be the same?

• BJ says:

Amex offers for Shangri-La at the Shard, and Mercer Street Hotel now available.

• Crafty says:

Bottomed last night, sorry for posting again.

Does anyone know, or know where to find, the terms for this “stay by 29 July, get 5,000 points” offer popping up on the IHG website? Clicking the offer takes me to an unrelated page (I find this happens with most of IHG’s digital property…).

• Wollhouse says:

I THINK it’s an option when you book. At checkout, they’re offering 5000 points for a minimal uplift- I did two and it was £6 or so? And I had the same…click on the blurb and it takes you to the other offer;) but I was offered the above at checkout so have assumed that’s the offer:)

• Andrew says:

No that’s the standard bonus points rate – most hotels always offer that for varying levels of extra cash. This offer is a separate one where you get 5k to stay 1 night or more by end of July – but like Crafty, can’t see the terms of it.

• Crafty says:

It’s a pain. I’m staying weekly on points, but would do a cash stay if the delta is minimal and the stay would qualify for the bonus.

• WaynedP says:

Yes, lack of proper link to t&cs is frustrating.

Similar previous offers seem to use minimum $30 spend per night as qualifying criterion and exclude Mr&Mrs from the promotion.

I would just call the booking number to check if a one night cash stay at your hotel qualifies.

I made a UK HI cash booking in the last ten days and the booking CSA confirmed my stay qualified automatically for the offer, no need to register or anything.

• Sandra says:

I’ve taken a screen shot in case it disappears as same, when you click on the banner heading it goes to the 3 x points offer in my app.

• WaynedP says:

@Sandra Always a wise call

• Ant says:

my thinking correct?
    We are flying to Ibiza 5/6 and back 10/6 land at 10pm
    We are flying to Malta on 12/6 depart 10am
    When flying out to Spain are we required to have any tests by the U.K. Govt? Looks to me that we only need to satisfy the Spain authorities.

When we come back from Spain do we just need an antigen test 3 days before. This can be the Qured £39 one. Do we need to book the day 2 & 8 PCR if we are not going to be in the U.K.?

• TGLoyalty says:

Yeah you need to book the tests to enter the U.K.

Consider going from Spain straight to Malta unless you actually need to be in the UK

• Memesweeper says:

… which would require a change at Valencia, Madrid or Barcelona.

• TGLoyalty says:

And May still beat £120x however many people for nothing plus 2 days of isolation.

• Michael C says:

Portugal national lockdown till 30 May: Champions Final should be fun!

• James Vickers says:

The most ridiculous exercise ever, transporting people over in bubbles for a game in another country when both teams are from England. It’s causing unnecessary travel and social contact as people won’t be able to go about things freely. Obviously UEFA don’t care about any of that.

• Ed says:

It’s basically all organised for the benefit of the VIP’s and dignitaries etc. The football is entirely incidental.

• Harrier25 says:

What are UEFA doing? A complete disgrace as always.

• Pete M says:

I wouldn’t call it a lockdown, we’re having a lovely time in Lisbon at the moment… But yes, coupled with their presidency of the EU it may have an impact on Brits being let in.

• Andy says:

UEFA wanted to move it to Wembley but couldn’t get Quarantine exemptions for the “2000 staff, sponsors, VIP and foreign media” so it went to Portugal instead

• Harrier25 says:

Wish I was in the Lisbon sunshine at the moment rather than grey and dull Sutton Coldfield. A beautiful city!

• Tariq says:

Exactly, no wonder the clubs wanted to stick two fingers up at them and the FA.

• Doug M says:

No, UEFA are all about the fans. Look how they highlighted the greed of the ESL. Anyone would think their real concern was who’s snout was in the trough.

• Tony1 says:

Don’t know if this is new, but Lusa News Agency said that Lisbon will welcome UK tourists from 17th May ….

• Steve says:

Reader hive mind, how long after activation do the deluge of Amex offers usually take? What I’ve found is first there’s no offers, then <5 offers appear, before finally a whole batch appear at once, though I've never timed it (til now).

Current experience (on Plat MR card) is:
    – one week of nothing,
    – one week with 4 offers….
    – And still waiting, 2 weeks since activation, for the floodgates to open 🤞

• BuildBackBetter says:

Patience! Try to put a variety of spend on it to increase chances.

• Doug M says:

I agree with DT below. Whatever Amex use to do this seems to have a huge dollop of random in it. It’s all just wait and see.

• YC says:

Anyone got offers on sups in their own name?

• DT says:

There is no rhyme or reason to the offers

Player 2 and I both got new Nectar Amex cards during the Plat & BAPP increased refer bonus offer. We cross referred each other, one of us holds BAPP the other holds Plat.

We applied on the same day for the Nectar card, player 2’s Nectar arrived the day after mine. We activated the cards the day they arrived. Cards have never been used.

I have no offers and player 2 has 12 offers, including the Hilton & Shangri La offers that just recently came out.

Identical cards, card age and card spend

• Aston100 says:

Mine are random across several new cards.
      Though Amex Brighton seem able to add certain offers when asked.

• Steve says:

Chat refuse to add when I ask, normal spiel about marketing being the ones who add it and they don’t have the power. I’ll let it play out a few weeks and then call if things don’t swing.

• TGLoyalty says:

If you have an email offering it as proof they will add

There’s a good chance they all other similar but different offers too so you can “double dip”

• Youllnever says:

Do you know how long they typically take in order to manually add offers onto a card?