Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 14th May

Comments (355)

• Dips says:

Possibly an easy one for the regulars:
    I had an Intercontinental O2 stay (using IHG Free Night voucher from IHG CC) and it was cancelled as its being used as a post travel quarantine hotel.
    I also have an Ambassador voucher with a July 2021 date on it.
    I was wondering if there has been any discussion on extending Ambassador vouchers again?
    What other hotels people recommend within IHG for using a free night voucher and\or Ambassador?
    Thanks

• Phil W says:

Glasgow and Edinburgh Kimpton’s would be a good use below July. That’s how I will probably use mine which expires 31-Jul.

• Anna says:

If you contact IHG they will extend your Ambassador membership for 2/6 months, which includes your free night cert. There are conditions though, it depends on how long you’ve been Ambassador and they will only do it once.

• Aston100 says:

Revolut.
    3 days ago, I made a transfer of under £150 to someone.
    I changed the wording “sent from Revolut” to “For Dave” (which is the name of the person’s son – it was their birthday and this was in lieu of a gift they wanted.

Anyway, the payment was left at Pending and I got contacted by Revolut personnel (through the app) asking what this transaction was for and (believe it or not) who Dave is.

Yesterday (day 2) they confirmed they will get their ‘team’ to look at it and it should be fine.
    Today, it is still on Pending with no explanation why it was intercepted in the first place.

The responses from Revolut agents seem to take a few hours, which makes a ‘discussion’ very frustrating.

Again, the amount was under £150. I dread to think what would have happened if it was a far larger amount for money cycling purposes that some people seem to do here.

Other payments (including larger amounts) to people and organisations have since gone through fine – I’ve left the “sent from Revolut” field well alone.

Thought I’d share the experience.

• TGLoyalty says:

Revolut is run by a bunch of cowboys

• Anuj says:

Their support are extremely aggravating. Will stick to their script which is extremely simplistic like their live depends on it. Will not use their own logic or common sense when the script cannot deal with your issue.

• Lady London says:

+1,000,000
        Cant even contact them most of the time and when you do it’s worse than dealing with a robot. They are just too risky to leave any money with.
        Definitely pay more if necessary elsewhere to move any sums you couldn’t afford to have locked up in Revolut for a few months while you’re trying to sort whatever unjustified thing made them grab your money.

• WaynedP says:

To be fair, you can’t blame them for keeping an eye out for Dodgy Dave’s

Parliament’s Treasury committee up to something similar only yesterday.

• mr_jetlag says:

hi folks – does anyone have the VS Gold Line number (*IS* there a VS Gold Line number?)

• happeemonkee says:

No Gold line number that I’m aware of. The wait times have been painful

• mr_jetlag says:

Yes was on hold for an hour, but the refund request itself was straightforward / 5mins

• Alex says:

Bit late now but get an app called WeQ4U. Call up via the app and then carry on with your life. It’ll phone you back when an agent answers the phone.

• Pierre says:

I’ve just transferred some Eurostar points between our 2 accounts, hoping that will reset the expiry date… Does anyone know if this will work? Or whether Eurostar has extended points expiry at all?
    Alternatively, other than Amex points, is there any other way to accumulate a few Eurostar points? The earnings partners options seems pretty meagre…

• Chas says:

Eurostar extended my points expiry from June to Dec, which I only found out about after I transferred some MR to Eurostar to reset the clock…. 😩

• Alex says:

Airtime referrals boosted to £5 till midnight if anyone is interested.

• Steve says:

Seems to be £5 for the referrer, but the person being referred gets only 50p for joining and +£1 for their first spend within 5 days.

• Nick M says:

Thanks, I’ve signed up…

• Rhys says:

Reminder that we don’t allow posting of unsolicited referral codes 🙂

• James says:

This is just a quick courtesy note for anyone expecting their AMEX MR 50/100k bonus point rewards for recently acquired Business Plat / Gold cards. I made my final qualifying spend on Wednesday this week and the points, along with the bonus, have now been duly received this morning.

I know there were some inquiries recently as to when respective bonuses were due to be received after month 3 etc, so hopefully, this might provide some clarity on the issue for some perhaps.

• Rob says:

Glad it worked out. This is how it is meant to work (ie posts immediately) but I think there will be some quirks this time.

• Matt M. says:

Good morning all. I’d appreciate some help please. This morning I nabbed 2 CW seats to Vancouver. I used a 241 voucher and because it is 355 days ahead I booked one way. I’m assuming in about 3 weeks time when the return leg opens up I can amend the booking and add the return on? Can I do this online or do I have to phone BA? Is this a common strategy? I’ve never done it this way before so would appreciate any help / advice. Many thanks.

• Alex says:

Very common to do. If you have the avios available to you then you can book it online for full price, then call BA at a later date to refund the difference and link the 2 segments. Or you can call BA and they’ll do it over the phone. For Vancouver I would personally probably call as they are very sort after seats out&back! Especially if you want exact dates.

Also if you haven’t been, maybe think about Seattle return, open-jaw. It’s only 4hrs on the train and a beautiful city to visit.

• Matt M. says:

That’s really helpful. Thanks Alex.

• Matt M. says:

That’s really helpful. Many thanks Alex.

• Matt says:

You’re better off phoning up (at 1am), because the fees and charges will be much higher if you book the return online then phone up to get the avios refunded for Vancouver or Seattle (I’d second the Seattle suggestion).
        If you’re travelling to Asia it’s often cheaper to book the return separately for full avios, then phone up to get half the avios refunded. You can’t amend your current booking online – it would be making a separate booking.

• mark2 says:

+1 for Seattle

• mark2 says:

but don’t make my mistake: I thought I would be clever and go to Vancouver WA as well – big mistake.

• Tariq says:

+1, I did it by car, Everett and the Boeing factory tour makes a good stop off.

• Matt M. says:

Thanks Tariq – the Boeing factory tour is on our wish list so I feel an itinerary happening!

• Polly says:

On our list for SEA in September, cancelled from March. Hoping we get there. Really looking forward to seeing it and VAN if we are allowed in. By train or boat, either is good.

• AnotherUser says:

Heading for a short Edinburgh stay on IHG points. IC is about 10k points/night more than the Kimpton Charlotte Square. Which would you go for? Both look nice, so I’m inclined to go for the Kimpton. I’ve got Spire status, if that makes a difference

• James says:

On points you’ll get the smaller rooms at the IC, so I might be inclined to go for the Kimpton. Both nice enough, prefer the IC personally though.

• AnotherUser says:

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn’t sure how small an ‘urban double’ at the IC would be

• Si says:

Kimpton even if the Kimpton was the one that was more expensive. Very nice hotel and good enough location.