Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 14th May

Comments (355)

• Secret Squirrel says:

Datapoint:
    I’ve had Amex Plat 1 x month, called up to cancel & given 50k MR points to stay.

• Reney says:

Did you want to cancel? Would you move your points out first before calling?

• TGLoyalty says:

You can always approach the conversation as you aren’t getting much use. Travel is still extremely restricted even if it is now “legal” and can they offer anything

You sometimes have to say what if I was to cancel and if they say nothing available you just say ok I’ll decide where I was transfer out my points then call back to cancel

• Secret Squirrel says:

Yes, I’m not prepared to pay the fee for what I personally get out of it.
        I was hoping maybe 30k retention but when offered 50k I had to stop myself saying yass sir!
        I approached it with quantifying value for the fee with the lack of travel this year.

• Craig says:

A slightly disappointing 35k points, but I have just had 48k from referrals and was one of the few that got the £100 credit last year across six cards! Can’t complain too much.

• Simon says:

just got 35k, must be a year since i got 50k. they did thank me for being a cardholder for 18 years. that was nice of them

• meta says:

@Craig I got £100 across three supps plus main last year, but didn’t get the Harrods £100 offer. Got 40k last year in May. So overall we are more or less receiving the same amount!

Points already in the account.

• Craig says:

I was 50/50 on keeping the card but it’s paid off. Points in my account already also.

• meta says:

As a data point, I just had 50k rentention bonus on my Amex Plat. It’s been a year since last bonus.

• meta says:

@Secret Squirrel haha we both did at the same time!

• Ste Cox says:

did you feign cancelling or just ask for a retention deal?

• meta says:

Kind of feigned, but not said explicitly I want to cancel. Just mentioned lack of benefits and substantial offers (Waitrose offer was in Feb!).

• Ste Cox says:

thanks, might give them a call later.

• Ste Cox says:

🙁 no luck for me, they said they can only do one bonus a year and it hasnt been that long for me yet. oh well. worth a try.

• meta says:

Yes, my last bonus was in early May last year.

• Sandgrounder says:

You’re obviously both worth 15k more to them than me 🙂 I didn’t push too hard though tbh, and I’ve just had 48k in referrals in the last 2 weeks. That 83k via the Avios/Nectar route is the card for free for the next year and a bit.

• Aston100 says:

If you’ve got an ARCC as well as a Plat, you don’t need to worry about transferring any points out before cancelling the Plat right?
      It is all pooled from both cards?

• Sandgrounder says:

If you have combined your MR accounts (same balance for both cards) then yes you can cancel one card without worrying about losing your points.

• Aston100 says:

Thanks Sandgrounder.
          Looks like Player 1 has a Separate MR pool, whereas Player 2 doesn’t.
          Player 1 has managed over 90k MR in referrals between 2 MR generating cards. I wonder if they’ll notice this when we try to cancel one of those cards.

• Rob says:

As long as you’ve tested it and you are sure both flow into the same MR account, yes.

• Chas says:

I currently hold the Plat and am about to cancel as wife has the Business Plat. Stupid question of the day – presumably she can refer me for the ARCC card first so that she gets the referral bonus for that, then I can cancel and keep the points alive?

• Polly says:

Make sure both MR accounts are combined before you cancel your plat tho.

• Chas says:

Thanks Polly – presumably they are combined if I can see the same MR balance on both?

• Andy says:

Posting this here rather than emailing Rob in case it’s been happening to other people. The daily chat post hasn’t been showing up in my RSS reader for the past couple of days, but the other three posts have been showing as normal.

I do click through to read anyway since the comments have value, but I can’t work out why one post wouldn’t be getting added to the reader, unless perhaps it has it’s own feed.

• Rhys says:

We’ve removed it from RSS to prevent it being displayed on Google News etc.

• Andy says:

Ahhhh, that makes sense. No hassle to click through from another article to find it each morning.

• the_real_a says:

I thought i was the only one still using RSS!

• mutley says:

Re Plat offers, What chance of another Waitrose offer in the next 2 months?

• Ste Cox says:

If the phone call I just had with amex is anything to go by, I doubt it. The current offer runs until July (even though I am guessing we all used it straight away) so it will be after that before another offer goes on I think

• mutley says:

Sorry I meant 12 months, but I get what your saying!

• Ste Cox says:

They did seem to hint there would be something coming once the current one expires.

• TGLoyalty says:

Nope unless there is another lockdown

• Matthew says:

Has anyone managed to get it manually added despite taking the Plat card out in the last 30 days or so? Thanks

• Keely says:

Morning all , I’ve seen something on here a couple of weeks ago about the NHS app and the GP releasing the records but can’t find it, so sorry for repetition. The staff at my practice flatly deny this is anything to do with them despite the app stating that it is …has anybody had any luck getting their practice to ‘release’ their records and if so how did you do it ?

• DarrenS says:

I downloaded the App earlier this week. All my records are showing.

• Keely says:

But mine aren’t….from 3 weeks ago ….tried deleting app/ logging out and in again etc . Same message – contact your GP service . They aren’t being helpful . But I recall someone on here having a similar problem….

• Anuj says:

It might be worth contacting the app support and they could maybe tell you exactly what needs to be said to your GP. I’ve found them quite helpful in the past.

• Sandgrounder says:

I think you may need to sign a form to say you are happy to share your records with NHS digital. I had to fill one in when I switched recently. Speaking to friends and family who have set the app up, every practice seems to have different procedures.

• James Pleasant says:

Sounds about right. We could sign up for NHS app & I guess this would have allowed us to make appointments. But crucially, immunisations and acute medicines records were missing – for this we had specifically request the surgery to allow us to access these records. They (front & back desk adminstration staff) did it in about 3 days and one of them told me to bear with them & that they were learning it as they went along, ie a bit clueless. It would be a lot simpler to let the central NHS app support guys to allow this access, as they are IT professionals & know what they are doing (they responded knowledgeably to a couple of queries I had about NIVS).

• Keely says:

Thanks for all your comments – I’ve contacted the app support and asked them to confirm exactly what I need to say to the staff . Fingers crossed …..!

• Anuj says:

Your GP might have disabled the access to your medical records within the app. Note that the vaccine passport being rolled out from the 17th is using a workaround to work regardless of GP access and will have its own section in the app.

• JDB says:

I downloaded the app and then had to go through the ID process that took three days. Once I was notified that I had passed the checks, it linked to my records. I later set the app up for my wife (same GP surgery) and she didn’t need to go through the ID process, it all linked right away. I believe you do need to enter the same contact details as the surgery has on your record, name as they have it etc.

• Andrew says:

There was mass hysteria a few years back about the sharing of NHS spine records amongst the various providers. Gruadian and Daily Mail readers were united in their outrage that a paramedic would be able to access your GP records if you were to MI at work etc.

If you opted out of data-sharing at that time, you’ll need to opt back in to get full use of the app.

• Bazza says:

Access to the NHS spine records is highly restricted. Many NHS workers who can access their Trust databases cannot access this.

• @mkcol says:

Yep, dead easy. Practice did it years ago, so I can see them either on the practice’s website or the NHS app.
      Make a complaint to the practice manager & if unsatisfactory response I guess next would be CQC.

• PerkyPat says:

Went to my practice today, was told they arent linking records to the app(though I can get access to my records online if I wish). Just noticed that my first jab(2nd one is in 10 days) has appeared on the app under ‘your covid-19 vaccine record’, which wasnt there a few days ago. It seems this is being done independently of GPs. On the website, it says stuff will be available from 17 May, so maybe it will all appear then. Will be calling 119 for my paper certificate too, just in case.

• Linda says:

I downloaded the NHS app quite some time ago and after having read these posts had a look at it and my vaccination details are now shown. They weren’t there a few days ago. I was pleasantly surprised. I have never contacted my GP about this.

• Yuff says:

I had a problem with this and mentioned it on here.
          Nothing seems to have changed on my medical records bit there is now a separate box with vaccination record showing.

• Ali says:

Dumb question of the day – How long should I let the money sit in Ernie DS account, before I cycle it back and withdraw to my linked bank account? I don’t want to raise any flags and prefer to fly under the radar.

• Grant says:

Depends on how many links you have in your chain, but if its just one then you could try and time it with your statement cycles so you pay in at the start of a billing period and dont withdraw until the balance is due to be paid.

There is a minimum 8 days or similar before the funds are available to withdraw in any event.

• Steve says:

There is no safe length of time. Cycling will eventually get you flagged, you could get lucky, you probably won’t.

Rather than constant ins and outs a better approach is likely lots of ins, one big out. But of you’re not leaving significant balances with Ernie you’ll eventually flag.

• Toppcat says:

I would also be keen to hear views on this. I agree with the ‘lots of investments, few redemptions’ strategy. Not sure if I would fully empty the account each time though.

• Toppcat says:

Not fussed about taking the cash out to fund the CC payment, either, as I am paying off the CC as I go.

• Stuart H says:

Hi all,
    How long does it take for bonus amex points to to hit your account.
    Specifically the 100,000 points for the amex platinum business card offer.

• Ryan says:

For me, they were added the same day that transactions that took my spend over £10k cleared

• Harley says:

For BAPP if i get a significant refund a few weeks after cancelling but the points are already in BA Is there any risk these can be clawed back?

• Steve says:

If the points are already with BA then you’re home and dry