Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 14th May

Comments (355)

• James Pleasant says:

Plenty of £9.99+ flights Stansted-Faro for next week on Ryanair, currently.

• Craig says:

Could someone please remind me the details for redeeming a Virgin companion voucher in upper without status. Is it economy points for one and UC points for the second and UC taxes for both? Looking at a return for 2 people.

• Njb says:

Just accepted Amex Plat 50000 points not to cancel. How long till I can cancel after points arrive?

• Craig says:

As soon as you’ve transferred the points.

• Njb says:

Gosh – that’s ridiculous! Does it make for an awkward call to cancel or can you cancel online?

• mark2 says:

Write a letter

• Craig says:

Online chat?

• Craig says:

Frankly though I wouldn’t, looking at my spreadsheet I’ve had a lot more than the £575 fee back. I’ll cancel when we flip to Player 2 at the 24 month point.

• Njb says:

Just flipped so was cancelling my husbands.
            Couldn’t refuse the points but need to cancel asap!

• reds says:

Any idea how to make use of 7k American Airlines miles expiring in July 2021 without flying?

• AndyGWP says:

Get the 5 free points for commenting on AwardWallet blog and extend your expiry by 18mths instead?

• James says:

Hello – The CoT special offer page won’t let me add any comments there (age of page?) so I thought I’d try here. I just applied – and got rejected! I’m trying to figure out on what basis (they only did a soft check apparently)?
    Ltd company turnover is far in excess of their minimum of £24K per year; we’ve been in operation since 2013; and my personal credit rating is nearly flawless. Any ideas..?

• Rob says:

Odd. I will get Rhys to drop you a note with details of our contact there – email him and hopefully they can look at it manually.

• aviosnewbie says:

I had the exact same issue – got declined for a card for the first time ever. And my personal experian score is 999

• James says:

Thanks Rob, appreciated.

• @mkcol says:

Interesting developments with Google Pay rolling out.

• James Pleasant says:

I think that now we’re down to 38YOs, then there’s a much better case to be made for essential workers to get vaccinated first. Teachers, supermarket workers, you get the drift.

On the basis that there’s no longer much point in vaccinating vulnerable people in age order – they already got vaccinated if they have any sense – so now let’s vaccinate the spreaders.

• gareth says:

Agree with this. I’m a banker so suits me…

• The cyclist says:

I couldn’t think of a more deserving candidate……not!☹️

• Chris K says:

Well yes, but having got to this stage you also have to consider the benefit of changing the process relatively last minute. We’re 10 weeks away from all adults having had (the opportunity to have) one vaccine already. Age is a ‘clean’ criteria. Proving who you work for, what you do is less so. Changing makes everything less efficient.

I’m glad the initial vaccine regime was done in priority order of risk. I don’t see any advantage in changing at this point.

(And I would probably benefit if it did change as I work in the education sector and am relatively young)

• Tracey says:

I think we are almost at the point where we vaccinate anyone not yet done. Seems stupid to insist on moving down the age bands, when the risks to this age group don’t differ by much and a lot of mass vaccination centres are under utilised.

• TGLoyalty says:

Sort of agree should just be all 30+ and be done with it. Moving down a few years at a time is silly. There really isn’t much difference in terms of risk and there are willing arms and willing thumbs.

• jj says:

It’s not been widely publicised in the media, perhaps to avoid causing resentment amongst our English overlords, but we are well beyond the 38yo group in most of Wales. In my town all of the 20yo kids have been vaccinated already, and they’re now moving on to those in their late teens. I only know one person of any age group who’s yet to be vaccinated – he’s aged 21 and getting the jab tomorrow.

And Mr Drakeford still doesn’t want us to travel!

• MarkH says:

Thank you so much for all the posts re taking BA to MCOL especially Jonathan and Lady London. I’ve managed to follow the process and sent my LBA on Monday.

BA Customer Relations replied yesterday via email, although didn’t specifically mention the LBA. Unsurprisingly they’ve reiterated their refusal to re-route due to requested dates being more than a year after the original ticket was booked and “no agreement” being in place with MH. As I have had a response can I buy the replacement flights and start the MCOL process (i.e. I don’t need to wait for the 14 days to expire)?

Brief summary of my case is LHR-KUL flights booked on 7th Oct for March, which were cancelled by BA. As I got them in the half price Avios sale I don’t want a refund and given the route has been dropped by BA and Malaysia is currently closed to UK nationals, I requested re-routing on MH, the only airline now flying direct, for 27-Nov to 23-Dec under EC261. From what I’ve read it should be a straight forward claim – I certainly hope so.

• Steve says:

Those date changes though. Not sure if that is peak time, not sure BA would be on the hook for “any date”.

• meta says:

They would be on the hook for any date. Proven by many cases over the years. They’ll eventually fold just before hearing…

• Polly says:

We folded and accepted Singapore, as we like it there, but tried several times to get them to put us on QR or MAS. Asked them to include onward flights to KUL but they refused…annoying. Anyway, we may or may not get there, will see how it pans out.
          Good luck with MCOL.

• MarkH says:

I did think about that (wasn’t even offered it which I thought strange) but for the foreseeable I want to minimise the number of covid entry requirements/policies/test I have to deal with and pay for

• Memesweeper says:

I’d book fully flex. before MCOL. Gives you an ‘out’ if you loose, and if challenged on the cost point out Avios bookings are flexible. Also if BA offer an acceptable alternative remedy you can refund the flights. IANAL.