Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 2nd June

Comments (331)

• Andy D says:

Does Amex Travel (plat) access the same additional IHg Luxury TA benefits (eg upgrade and breakfast) that Emyr does?

• Harry T says:

It’s not exactly the same set of benefits.

• Andy D says:

Ah ok – has anyone done an appraisal cheat sheet so that I don’t need to?

• Rob says:

FHR vs Emyr – FHR has guaranteed 4pm check-out which Emyr can’t do. Emyr CAN usually match online pricing though, whilst FHR uses its own mysterious pricing which is often higher than the hotel charges online.

• Chris Heyes says:

Just got back from a Hilton Hampton Blackburn stay, 3 nights point/stay chase x3
    Plus 1 night Rockermiles stay 5.500 Heathrow Points (thanks Rob) so offer on HFP (4 Nights total)
    Was visiting Family plus tying up loose ends on a property I own.
    Now this was my FIRST visit to a Hampton
    The good points it was new built last year, it was very clean, rooms seemed adequately sized I had a double room, large seating area along one side presume changes into a single bed (never checked)
    Very large mirror, workstation with chair, adequate enough sockets, large TV
    Bathroom smallish same shower
    Reception very large, doubles up as Breakfast/dinning 3 large TVs sound very low but with sub-titles
    Bright and light well thought out space
    Breakfast Hmmm Bacon sausage beans scrambled egg small roasty potatoes
    cereal ect
    Edible but nothing special
    No Lounge was disappointing, I ALWAYS book Hiltons with Lounge access
    Oposite the Hilton is a KFC, Subway, Spar plus more
    a short walk also a Mcy Ds
    Would I stay here again if on a points grab possibly ?
    But there are a few country properties very much better I normally stay at the Dunkunhough ?
    I didn’t mention the evening meals don’t bother certainly no Chef here lol

• BJ says:

Hampton are decent, especially the newer ones. I prefer them over HIX but at that end of the scale rates and location trump personal preferences for me so I’ll stay either one.

• Harry T says:

I recently spent quite a few nights at a fairly new Hampton (work stays). I was actually pretty impressed with the quality of the hard product for £40-50 a night. I would certainly choose a newish Hampton over a Moxy. The last HIX I stayed at was the new one in Melbourne and that was actually very nice.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Nice summary thanks. All low/mid end chain hotel restaurants are there for two markets; 1) breakfast. 2) people who arrive late or tired and will eat any old overpriced shite.
      Any independent pub or restaurant that doesn’t have such a captive audience and survives on quality of offering will be 100x better.

• Will says:

Very funny to read a hotel review where the breakfast was only edible but you then only mention junk food restaurants nearby. Surely if you didn’t like Hamptons breakfast then you wouldn’t want mcd or kfc for other meals. No proper local restaurants or pubs in Blackburn?

• TJones says:

There is also a Greggs opposite if you fancy spending your points on a sausage roll.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Haha nicely done. There’s always a points angle!

• Anna says:

Glad you had a decent stay, Chris, it sounds much better value than the Dunkenhalgh tbh. We’ve been down south for a few days or we could have cooked you an evening meal!

• Chris Heyes says:

Anna OOOooo A missed opportunity an evening meal lol
        maybe next time ?
        The Dunkenhalgh only costs around £60 a night plus £15 evening meal
        although i get it for £10 a night so not much more

• Dave says:

Thanks for the review. I’m using it as a stopover on my way down south later this month. Do you know if it has a waffle maker? Some of them do, some of them don’t.

• Vin says:

Having read of several people on this forum with bookings to Japan in May / June I wondered what option you took with the flights being cancelled ?
    We are due to fly mid June ’21 to HND on a 2-4-1 booked in Sept ’20 and the flight is cancelled.
    This is a rebooked flight that was cancelled in Sept ’20 (and availed of the 50% avios discount running at the time). Is my only option to FTV it?. The original 2-4-1 voucher has crossed it’s expiry date so requesting a refund means the voucher is lost. Any chance a call to BA CS will result in the same dates being secured for June ’22 ?

• mr_jetlag says:

give it a try and let us know. fwiw I’m in the same boat, HND on 50% avios and 241 bookings in July.

• BJ says:

I rebooted for March/April next year. I was one of the lucky ones who got to pick virtually anything they wanted via MMB. Saturday departures were genuinely fully booked or blocked but go a Friday no problem.

• Jody says:

You’re so lucky! I’ve just tried again for ours, it’s been over a week now since the flights were cancelled, and I was advised on here to give it a week or so. Still no luck. Summoning up the energy to give BA a call!

• Vin says:

@BJ – were you permitted to book beyond a year from when the original booking was made ?

• BJ says:

@Vit Yes, I was very surprised as in the weeks leading up to the dates I wanted there had been increasing reports that was no longer possible online or by phone.

@Jody Wish I could help but I’m clueless how changes were possible for some and not others.

I went via MMB chrome desktop view on android tablet.

• Eugene says:

For me two cancellations of that 50pct Avios deal, first to Seoul then HND sapped my spirit. So rather than arguing endlessly with BA over yet another booking 12 months out or going thru the whole MCOL schlepp for a 3rd iteration , I took an FTV to extend the soon to expire 241 and bought BGI for 10 days over Xmas.. yes its 75 k more Avios, but like many on here I have them coming out my ears. Asia looks problematic till mid 22 so10 days on a Caribbean island looks a better prospect all round. Japan can wait…

• TJ says:

I need to buy a 2&8 day test package but will not be using the day 8 test as I will be flying out again before my self isolation finishes. Does anyone have experience of test providers who will either refund the day 8 test or provide a credit?

• bafan says:

There are Day 2 only tests now right?

• Pete M says:

Yup, Randox do them, for instance.

• Read2goagain says:

But if travelling from an amber country you have to show you have bought day 2 and 8 to get back in…

• John Caribbean says:

Have revolut barred Creation top ups? My payment this morning isn’t going through and it’s not obvious what the issue is

• Secret Squirrel says:

No, all worked fine for me today?

• Jon says:

You may need to call Creation. I had this a few weeks back – turned out one of my top ups had been flagged with the fraud department, so it and all subsequent attempts were blocked (although it wasn’t huge – £1200 as I recall – but larger than my usual). They unblocked it and transfers have worked fine since. They didn’t seem to have any issue with who I was paying, just the amount. I recall someone here mentioning there may be a £700 weekly (?) limit.

• DT says:

The £700 limit on IHG is when using it to pay Amex, I don’t believe the limit applies to Revolut top ups. But of course your mileage may vary.

• DT says:

Topped up £1500 yesterday, it sat on pending until today. Usually goes through straight away but I do notice at times it takes a day or two

• Michael C says:

Forget to mention that we were v well treated at the Hilton Hyde Park last week (a couple of other readers mentioned they were going).
    Moved from a family room/no view to two adjoining queen rooms looking out onto Kensington Gardens (must admit that one queen room would be “snug”).
    No buffet b/f (included in rate), so instead had free range of à la carte in the lovely ground-level French-ish place.
    Great location for long park walks, town and Westfield: as it was the showery w/end, being right on top of Queensway tube was so useful.
    Didn’t affect me personally (having lived for years off the Ramblas with no double glazing…) but you could def. hear traffic all the time.

• PaulC says:

Thanks for the “review” on Hampton Blackburn, its new and probably the closest to me for a points chase. Ive not looked recently at prices so might have a look now and see if its worth chasing any points.

• Chris Heyes says:

PaulC Was around £55/60 a night every night, was busy Army was there volunteers for manning Covid Vac sites round Blackburn
        was £165 for 3 nights Fri/ Monday Hilton Gold, £58 Monday night Rocketmiles 5.500 points Avios or Heathrow Rewards points that offer closed

• Andrew says:

OptionTown/BA. Well, after the intervention of CEDR, I’ve finally had close to full settlement.

All unused were refunded in full. The pair that were used, with an FTV issued in their place due to a cancelled flight, have also been refunded – with a 3.33% variance. The variance may explain why BA repeatedly refused to disclose the value of the FTV – as it was worth marginally less than what I paid for it.

I’ve let the variance pass. I’m just glad that I’ve got the money back.

• mart says:

Just noticed our august LHR-LAS virgin flights are now departing from terminal 3
    fingers crossed

• Sean says:

US going on the red list then?

• Mart says:

I think I read somewhere that red list was only temporary in T3 and was moving to T4 although how longs temporary 😔

• Pete M says:

LHR are keen to move red list arrivals to T4 ASAP – would expect it to be done by July.

• Sean says:

only a little joke – i have 3 vegas flights booked over the next 6 months, 2 virgin upper and 1 ba F via LAX – so hoping can nmake at least 1 of them.

• Travel Strong says:

@ Sean – we have the same bookings! 2 x upper virgin trips to LAS and 1 x BA (but club in to LAX and out of LAS – hire car $1000 cheaper from LA!) Also happy if I make any one of them.

• roberto says:

I think you may be mistaken and its T5 when flying from out of London Heathrow but T3 when LANDING INTO Vegas LAS airport..

• Travel Strong says:

OP said virgin, so T3 at LHR was the usual terminal in and out.
        Can’t actually see any terminals listed in the booking for my virgin flights though!

• Mart says:

Awardwallet notified me with a terminal change
          Very handy app