Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 6th June

Comments (450)

• Sam says:

Staying at Kimpton fitzroy 3 nights as spire on credit card reward nights. Friendly reception but no room upgrade from superior double. Secret password granted 1000 bonus points. 4 x postcard promotion gained 2 small sets of sweets for the kids ( not really what was implied on the Kimpton website in terms of the postcard promotion possible granting room upgrades of freebies at the restaurant). All in all my first Kimpton stay and so far, nothing out of the ordinary.

• EwanG says:

You did better than me for last night at Kington Charlotte Sq, also using a free credit card night and Spire Ambassador. Spire recognition with drink voucher (at my request endorsed to confirm 2x drinks) but no recognition for Ambassador or social password. Didn’t try the postcard, expect that would have been a waste of time.

• Anna says:

We must have fallen lucky, we got a cocktail and a bar snack from our scratch cards last weekend! We’d taken our raid the bar credit voucher into the bar as well so the final bill was £0.

• Rob says:

What about the nightly free wine reception?

• Tim Rogers says:

Wasn’t running at the Glasgow outpost when I was there 2 weekends ago!

• Clubx says:

Stayed in Clocktower and Fritzroy. No drinks. Will report tomorrow for Glasgow.

• TGLoyalty says:

Anna mentioned she got them in her room in Edinburgh

Did you ask about it and told it wasn’t happening?

• Anna says:

Yes, delivered to the room in Edinburgh and served at Burr & Co in London last weekend. We were given scratch cards in Fitz’s bar, I assumed they were the same sort of thing as the OP got.

• Anna says:

Trying to cancel an avios booking via Twitter. They are saying that I will be charged £15 pp on top of the £35 pp change fee. I have challenged this as surely I shouldn’t have to pay another £30 because BA continues to disable their online refund facility?!

• meta says:

I challenged this via Amex dispute a few times as BA refused. Worked every time as BA never responded.

• Louise K says:

I cancelled one via Twitter a couple of weeks ago and was charges £35 pp.

• MilesOnPoint says:

BA duty of care question:

Family member due to fly from Dublin to London City (our local airport, 15mins away).

BA have cancelled Dublin flights into/out of City and moved both flights in to/out of Heathrow.

Heathrow is 1h15/1h30 from where we live, is there a way to claim for a taxi/minicab from Heathrow to London City (or our address nearby) due to the cancellation?

• tony says:

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but good luck with this. And right now. BA will cite COVID as being the reason why you can go whistle. A couple of years back they cancelled my SZG-LHR and would only offer a refund or a move to SZG-LGW with no additional transport to get to my car which was – as they knew having sold me the outbound – parked at LHR. After much lobbying from my side they eventually relented and offered us 5 tickets on the national express bus. I just booked a taxi and swallowed the cost myself.

• Lady London says:

5 of you? rack rate for taxi is not too far from that.

I’d have looked at doing them for lateness because the time is measured back to your originally booked airport. Plus I’d have been pi$$ed *ff tbat them saving a few quid landed me with excess parking charges. Think I’d have told them to book me back to LHR on Austrian, Lot, or LH etc instead.

You still could claim your taxi it’s not unreasonable esp if your own circs added to the need. I’d add in lateness compo for the h*ll of it

• kitten says:

yes they have to get passenger back to originally booked airport.

beware their idea is underground and trains not taxis. however there is no way BA is getting me onto multiple of those with changes, stairs, lifts, escalators etc esp at unsocial hours or weekends when lots of maintenance closures/works and restricted services. I’d get email,screenshot or recordi
      ng obtaining their agreement to pay upfront otherwise hold off accepting

• tony says:

“yes they have to get passenger back to originally booked airport.”

Whilst that is the rational person’s reading of EU261, it has never been BA’s interpretation even in normal times. Under CV19 they are waiving all sorts of responsibilities so you’re in for a really drawn out battle here and expect BA to dig in and simply offer a refund.

It makes no sense to them to be paying 3x the cost of the ticket to get you from LHR to LCY when they can just refund instead.

• Lady London says:

who cares about BA’s interpretation? who cares about BA’s t’s and c’s or preferences? Who cares about BA’s agents that are not trained by BA to provide your legal rights? Who even cares that BA’s systems have functions disabled in ways that avoid providing you your rights?

EU261 is still in UK law. It’s a statute, which overrides BA’s all of the above. BA has no choice. They have to give you your rights. If they don’t and you MCOL a nice judge will tell them to. If they want to go that far, if you’ve done your claim right it can cost them more and waste their lawyers’ time with cases they know they’re going to lose.

And under the law BA can’t choose “just to refund you instead”. You have that choice. They don’t. You dont have to take a refund you can choose to be transported from the airport you booked to the airport you booked. By whatever transport gets you there as reasonably close to your original timings as reasonably available. Including another airline or other transport, at no extra cost to you. etc. As soon as BA bullies you or makes it difficult so you take a refund you lose all these rights. So do they stonewall you and not tell you your rights or deny? H*ll yes.

I’d suggest you stick around on HfP or look back over previous posts.

• tony says:

I think you just have to decide which battles in life are worth fighting. The industry is royally screwed at the moment, and HMG is making matters worse by the day. If you can be the bigger person and see this then good. If you want to be vexatious just for the sake of it and kick a dying dog when it’s on its last legs, then that’s your call to make.

We don’t know the context, but in all likelihood it’s a sub £100 fare, where the OP is expecting BA to pay out something like £500 in taxis. If they roll over at every complaint like that then we might as well all cash in our Avios for Nectar points now, as BA won’t exist by Christmas.

• Chris Heyes says:

Tony “ALL” Battles in life are worth fighting And I do
            If the industry is screwed tough another will spring up that’s how progress works for good and bad

• Blenz101 says:

Agree they will offer underground/train in order to discharge their responsibility. Been on the receiving end of this several times.

CS even in normal times have never accepted taxis as acceptable and have rejected claims I’ve made or capped at the equivalent single train fare.

I’ve never bothered to MCOL as usually such a delay has trigged LH EU261 compensation so I’ve never been out of pocket.

If your family member takes a cab be prepared to have to have to exhaust all BA CS options, MCOL and then defend a cab was reasonable vs. public transport.

• John says:

How much of a faff is it getting to Belfast? Pretty sure those planes are still going to city. Guess it depends if they prefer two hours in a black cab in London or however long the train takes to Belfast.

• Sukes says:

@ MilesonPoint the relevant original pt in law is eu261 Art 8.3 ‘When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.‘
      So yes there is a right to transport but the legislation does not provide a right to specify mode. If flight times are very early you may have ground to argue for taxi as reasonable given limited/lack of.public transport, but I suspect you will end up at a minimum having to pay up & take BA to CEDR (ie alternative dispute resolution which is free & straight forward) to see any reimbursement.

• meta says:

@tony BA have been doing all sorts of nasty things to customers for years. Many airlines have been providing exemplary service and went above and beyond to retain customers during pandemic. BA is not one of them evidenced by the fact that the first thing they did is to turn off the online refunds system on their website! And no they are not yet on their last legs.

• MilesOnPoint says:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think on balance it’s probably best not to keep our hopes up. Minicab probably least worse option anyway even if BA don’t cough up.

• A says:

minicab, get receipt, claim at MCOL.

The relevant piece of EU 261 is set out above. BA doesn’t get to escape liability for it due to Covid, so don’t worry about that. They won’t pay but you will likely win at MCOL – not reasonable to expect you to lug your luggage on and off the tube

• Alex says:

re Dufry Red/Dragon Pass offer from about a year ago – I have few unused expired lounge vouchers showing at my account , I assume they meant to be refunded when unused ? anyone know the procedure to request that ?

Thx

• Richard Heatley says:

I sent an naive sounding email saying, I saw my passes get extended then cancelled, could you reinstate or refund the vouchers please.
      About a week later, got offered a refund plus a year of DragonPass membership

• Tony1 says:

Got 1000 MRPs ( yes less than £5 ) after two phone calls. No offer to downgrade or anything else. Tried again last week – nada

Was told that there would be “good offers” in a few weeks ( but that was Feb 2021 so …. )

Got card in 2018

• KBuffett says:

Busy day on the comments today. Can’t wait for the forums, it really will make this site very very sticky for users. PE love stickiness.

• YC says:

Some Sunday evening speculation but ritz carlton yacht now says on their website:
    “Shortly, we will announce loyalty benefits for members of Marriott Bonvoy. We look forward to recognizing our valued loyalty members and welcoming you aboard your private yachting oasis.”
    Given its all inclusive, I wonder what benefits they could provide?

• iSub says:

They have been teasing this announcement for a long time but it never arrives. I signed us for marketing material 18 months ago that said the same thing! I hope it is announced soon as I’m tempted!