Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 6th June

Comments (448)

• Yuff says:

Mrs yuff has just come though Border control at east mids, 10 mins, 30 passengers 4 officials straight through with our daughter. Very efficient.
    PMI -> EMA

• Rich says:

My return to MAN yesterday was similarly efficent. Almost no queue, and they had my PLR loaded on screen. A couple of questions, done in 30-45 seconds.

• s879 says:

Was at LHR – T2 on Wednesday from USA. Took about 30 minutes.

• s879 says:

Also, PLR needed to be shown on the phone and he read everything from my phone. Amber and Green in same queue.

• Marie says:

Thinking about holidays in July. Is there anything to stop us flying to Gibraltar, crossing into Spain by land, having a Spanish holiday and flying home from Gibraltar? I would be trying to avoid self isolation if at all possible. I cannot see that the guys in Heathrow would know where we had been .

• TGLoyalty says:

Apart from all the moral reasons why this would be a terrible idea

I’ve Never been but Don’t you cross a border into Spain? As a non EU citizen you’d have your passport stamped if you did.

• David says:

You run the risk of having your passport wet stamped when you cross the border from Gibraltar to Spain. They are not always doing this bar are doing so far more than previously. (As they should be if you are third country nationals from a EU perspective.)

The exception to this is if:
      – you are Gibraltar resident, and have your Gibraltar ID card to show. passports (regardless of nationality) are not being stamped if you are Gibraltar resident – as part of transitional/interim measures while Schengen negotiations are under way.

– if you are an EU citizen, you could cross the border and enter Spain on an EU passport/ID card without it being stamped.

– if you have residency in Spain, etc.

• David says:

bar = but.

They are not always doing this, but are doing it far more in recent weeks with the UK rules lifting.

• Tracey says:

At one point they shut the border for people that weren’t Gib residents or EU citizens (it may even have been Spanish residency also required), precisely to stop this happening!

• David says:

That’s no longer the case, as the Spanish covid restrictions have now relaxed. Indeed, the border never closed or changed at all. It was just that you need to be in compliance with the covid rules in application on which ever side of the border you were on.
        So someone who lived outside the immediate area would, upon crossing into Spain, not be in compliance with the covid rules in spain at that time (which was against all but essential travel), etc.

• Rich says:

You’re supposed to tell them. It relies on honesty and decency.

I believe it’s a £10k fine for lying on your PLR. They might notice the stamp in your passport too.

• meta says:

They can track if you enter on one passport and exist on another and vice versa. Remember the former CEO of Etihad was fined for doing that when flying to UAE through Switzerland. It wasn’t immediately spotted by border officials and he was let into UK normally, but they did later when they went through records and he was issued a fine. I would not risk it. The records are definitely checked and compared between countries.

• Yuff says:

That’s not true he was caught because of a whistleblower, there is no tracking recorded.
          He was trying to avoid a hotel quarantine from a red list country.

• TGLoyalty says:

They don’t track the passport you used to leave. If they did they’d have a much better idea on over stayers etc

• John says:

They do track passports on leaving and they know who has overstayed, but knowing someone’s passport number doesn’t tell you where they are now. If you leave via Ireland it won’t be tracked. If you try to enter the UK again having overstayed you may get into trouble. You may be refused visas or citizenship if you don’t have a good reason. In the past overstays up to 28 days were disregarded for most purposes.

• ChrisC says:

Quick Q re requesting a BA Hols voucher

I requested a voucher and this comes up on the screen

“We confirm that we have received your form and will begin processing it.”

Does this mean I’m safe to make a new booking and then be able to apply this voucher – even though I’ve not received it yet – to a new booking or would that point apply from when I actually receive it?

• Matt says:

No, you’ll need the voucher to apply it-I don’t know if you call up they might be able to sort it?

• Anna says:

You cab apply it after you’ve made the booking, I’ve done this a couple of times. You need to reply to the email you’ll eventually get with your new booking number – you can’t use it to pay for a deposit, only towards an outstanding balance.

• James VICKERS says:

I’ve done rebookings on live chat a couple of times, very easy. You can book the new holiday as soon as you have requested the voucher then get them to apply it once received

• r* says:

Are more complex routings still available in the exEU BA sale?

ChrisC posted yesterday about CDG-SFO-JFK-SFO-CDG routings but I dont seem to be able to get anything that isnt point to point to price up below like £3000 plus anything thats east-west coast seems to only be available in economy?

Am I missing something? 🙂

• ChrisC says:

Are you using the BA hols custom trip?

I always put in the individial steps I want rather than just A-B

I get that as well – some flights in economy but when you go into the detailed flight lists all sorts of other options appear rather than their suggested one and you’ll sometimes also see cheaper prices as well.

• r* says:

Ive been trying to use holidays custom trip, but half the time it comes up with an error and the rest it was much higher priced as soon as I add in extra segments.

• ChrisC says:

It can be quite glitchy so just start a fresh search which can be a pain but much easier on your sanity.

Are you using the search on the holiday page (on the right hand side of the screen) or the flight + hotel option on the main ba com landing page? I always use the latter.

• Doug M says:

The problem is likely the JFK-SFO legs if that’s what you’re trying for. The needed I class is very hard to find, easier to do if you can time these for weekend.
      Tried to book one of these earlier and BA agent couldn’t find I class available that I could on both Expert Flyer and Matrix. Will try again later or tomorrow.

• ChrisC says:

The problem I had yesterday was I wanted the first leg to be CDG- JFK on AA and it priced up but the payment failed. When I called BA Hols the agent told me it was the AA CDG-JFK that was the issue.

I changed it to be CDG-LHR- JFK and that went through OK.

Availability on the JFK- SFO leg didn’t appear to be a issue. Those legs are mid week.

• Erico1875 says:

MELIA POINTS.
    Can i book s hotel for duaghter in law and grand children uding MY points from MY Melia Rewards account

• Erico1875 says:

Sorry. Spelling. Fingers too big for keyboard

• Sukes says:

I assume you will not be on the booking or travelling with them. Online this is not possible as the booking will auto fill with your details & you can’t overwrite this. Best to ring Melia.

Easy work aroundis that you can transfer pts to another account, min transfer threshold is I think 2,000pts. So your daughter in law could just open her own account to which you would transfer. I think she would also get an intro bonus of 2000pts for a new account.

• Erico1875 says:

Thanks. I will transfer her the points

• Sukes says:

Also in case relevant…Melia pts expire after 12mths if no pts activity. This expiry date will also apply to pts transferred. However Meliá have postponed points expiry until 30 Sept 2021(whether they will extend this further is unknown). Melia allows you to make pt bookings for stays beyond your expiry date but (according to the t&c anyway) the pts will still retire on the expiry date as if no booking had been made – the pts don’t get extended to the date of the redemption booking. If you run risk of your pts expiring 30 Sept & the hotel stay is later you may wish to purchase 1,000pts for 5eur in order to reset the pts expiry for another 12mths.

• Rob says:

If you explain it in the notes and ring the hotel to explain it should be fine. Only issue is if it is a country with a law saying named guest must check in with ID.

• Craig says:

I booked LHR to MCO a few weeks back. Turns out school holidays are slightly different to what we thought so I can get more time away for fewer days off. Checking over the last couple of weeks it’s been between £75 and £220 more to change my current booking than if I just make a new booking. The difference hadn’t correlated to the difference in price between my current booking and a brand new one at all.

Everything I read tells me it should only cost me the difference between current booking price for new flights and what I originally paid. As of today that’s £16 but changing online it’s charging nearly £100.

This is all flight only cash booking. What am I missing?

• John says:

Take a voucher and rebook

• Craig says:

I couldn’t find anywhere that said how quickly the vouchers processed and the form didn’t make it look like it would be an instant email. With announcements coming any day I didn’t want to be waiting for a voucher while the prices skyrocketed.

Ended up calling them and getting told some nonsense that didn’t explain why there’s a price anomaly. Told me better to change online and pay the extra than do it over the phone where there was a £30pp additional fee.

After some back and forth I managed to get her to cancel and email me the voucher there and then so I could then re-book new flights within 2 mins of cancelling the old.

All a bit naughty of BA.

• Magic Mike says:

I did a ftv a couple of days ago via the form and it came thorough in less than 30 mins.

• trader363 says:

Anyone had retention offers on the Business Platinum? If so, how long did you have it open?

• Olver says:

What is everybody buying with the Dell Credit? I am really struggling to find anything that’s worth it except a couple mouse/keyboard combos

• Mark says:

I went with a new speaker and a backpack, speaker is great quality and with an easy mute button which stops most of the ‘you’re on mute’ comments

• KBuffett says:

Would someone mind summarising what Dell credits are available on which cards?

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

There was talk of an HfP article as the deadline approached (which if I remember correctly, is the end of June?).

• Rob says:

There will be something, it is diarised. Shoud probably do it sooner rather than later given Dell’s terrible availability of most items.

• KBuffett says: