Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 10th June

Comments (393)

• Martha says:

Hi there.

I have a BA flight booked for mid-July for a 5pm flight departing from UK.
    BA have just informed me that my flight is cancelled and they have put me on a 8am flight the same day.
    This really does not suit me.
    Could someone kindly advise me my options in what I must do or say, what rights I have and if there really is no choice am I entitled to any compensation?

• ChrisC says:

No compensation as sufficient notice (more than 14 days) has been given.

Assuming this is a simple cash only booking your options are really a full refund or to be rebooked at a later date at no extra cost to you. Or a voucher but to be honest I’d prefer the cash in my account not theirs!

Your choice.

• A says:

Or alternatively a reroute on another airline same day that works for you – you’ll need to fight them for it

• KK says:

OT: Had booked during the 50% off Avios sale last October using 28500 Avios and £50 for 2 tickets from London – Antalya for 17 Jun.

The flights have been cancelled as expected by BA.

Would appreciate some advice on the below options:
    1. Future Travel Voucher ( How do BA calculate the value? Is it the discounted Avios and cash paid or the equivalent cash value?)
    2. Full refund ( 28000 Avios and £50)

I have a need for a flight booking for KWI in early September which is currently pricing £510 / person . Anyway I can change the above booking for the KWI?

• Sina says:

As I understand it, FTV will be your 28000 Avios + £50 wrapped into one voucher.

And I don’t think you can change the flight to another destination, you can only change the date to another time within 1 year as others have stated.

if you don’t have a plan to fly to Antalya, your best bet is to just get a refund!

• Mark says:

No correct you can use your FTV for any destination with avios availability. Just moved my lanzarote one to Mexico, just paid the additional taxes/charges and avios. The people flying must be the same. But in this case I’d just take a straight refund.

• mr_jetlag says:

Per LL and others here I thought the 1 year rule can be successfully overridden for BA cancels?

• Harry T says:

1) you get a voucher containing exactly what you paid.
      2) this is what will be returned to you if you ask for a refund.
      3) I doubt it.

• Nick M says:

I’ve just found my local Sainsbury is on the Shop Small map?!

• mark2 says:

If you use the filter to show the shops which are taking part in Shop Small it will disappear, probably.
      Otherwise the map shows all Amex merchants.

• Harry T says:

Has anyone who wasn’t favoured by the BA IT gods managed to ring BA and move a cancelled 50% Avios sale flight to beyond the end of ticket validity? If so, how did you manage it?

• Joe says:

Yes. Just rang them and asked for the new dates. They said “sure, no problem”.

Assume I just got lucky!

• Harry T says:

Nice work, Joe! I tried ringing them but can’t get through just now.

• Polly says:

Good luck with that Harry, seems like depends who you get. We weren’t so lucky. Stuck rigidly to the 1 year rule, and the 300 mile alternative city…ie KUL to SIN.

• Sharon says:

• 747_Brat says:

I did actually. I had a LHR-CPT-LHR ticket booked in J during the 50% Avios sale. The original travel date was Easter 2021, I then moved it to May 2021, after cancellations on both occasion from BA’s end.

After the May cancellation, I wanted to move the ticket to Easter 2022, but BA agents wouldn’t budge. I tried HUCA on a number of occasions but got the same BS response really that they can’t move the travel beyond a year from the date of booking.

After some reports here and on FT, I tried to amend the booking myself online and through the app. Online method didn’t work but the app let me change the ticket to Easter 2022 with no problems at all.

I would suggest try the app method. Fingers crossed for you!

• Anna says:

It doesn’t work if you’ve got a domestic leg on the connection 😥

• Anna says:

*Connection on the booking!

• 747_Brat says:

Oh, darn! Since Harry is based up north, he might have a domestic connection.

• Harry T says:

Yeah, I assume that is why it didn’t work for me but thank you! I’m glad you managed to change yours.

• 747_Brat says:

Cheers Harry.
            Is this your Tokyo flight that you are trying to change?

• Jody says:

I don’t have a domestic leg on mine, and I can’t do it online or on the app.

• Anna says:

It’s not the only reason people don’t seem to be able to do it, just that I haven’t seen anyone yet say they’ve been able to move a flight with a domestic leg and I certainly haven’t been able to.

• Martin Short says:

50% avios bookings:
      A few months ago I moved one beyond 12 months using online MMB.

Tried a different booking over the phone last month and was not able to extend it beyond 12 months.

Maybe they have just tightened up their systems.

• Harry T says:

Thanks. My only option in MMB is to request a refund or voucher. For anything else, I need to contact them. Just asked over online chat and they told me I can only move the flights to the end of ticket validity.

• mr_jetlag says:

keep us posted Harry, have a Japan booking in July I need to move beyond 1yr ticket issue as well.

• James Vickers says:

Noticed Gibraltar now needs a negative PCR test within 48hrs if not vaccinated for anyone who might be going, quite a tight timeframe

• Anna says:

Ugh – does that include teenagers? My nephew who’s coming with us had Covid recently, can he show a letter confirming this?

• Anna says:

And the airport test on leaving has now gone up to £50!!

• h2d says:

As far as I can tell this is not the case – we booked two tests at £30 pp today

• Rich says:

Wow. Gib was the last country standing! 48 hours is very tricky. Choose your flight time well.

Looks like you could perfectly easily go UK>Spain without a test, spend 10 days there, then enter Gib for a few days, then fly home? Would you be eligible for TTR on return to the UK 5 days after you exited Spain?

• Rich says:

Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised if UK is blacklisted by the rest of Europe soon based on current growth.

• Anna says:

Probably why they want extra testing. My feeling is that they feel safe because of their high vaccination levels and excluding the numbers of business travellers who seem to pop in and out for a couple of days might be starting to hurt their economy.

• Anna says:

It doesn’t specify 48 hours on the Visit Gibraltar website, where did you see it James?
        Don’t they check passports at the border if you’re from the UK (rather than ID card which the Spanish can use)? Anyway, I’m not tempted enough to risk it, I’ve been to Andalusia plenty of times.

• Rich says:

It does specify 48 hours in the first para of Annex B, although double check yourself – the wording isn’t clear.

I don’t think there’s any problem (as far as Gib authorities are concerned) coming *from* Spain, no matter your nationality, but only if you’ve been there for >10 days. More use for somebody who actually wants to visit Spain, and use Gib as a staging post on the way home.

• Rich says:

I think it can be LAMP or LFD, doesn’t have to be PCR. But does need to be less than 48h before departure, and you also have to have the free LFD on arrival.

Lot of info on there, but scroll down to Annex B

• Anna says:

Thanks, I hadn’t got down that far!
        That’s going to be horrendously inconvenient given that we’ve now arranged to visit London for a couple of days before our departure – my nephew has never been!

• Anna says:

It also says anyone who’s had Covid in the past 90 days is better taking a lateral flow test – can you even get these done by the official providers?

• Anna says:

Mind you, it’s probably easier to get a same day test in London than up here so maybe that will work out for the best.

I don’t know if Rob is double jabbed already or if this will catch him out next week 😬

• Rich says:

If it’s lateral flow, then you don’t have any real timing concerns. The results are pretty much instant. (Mine, I waited an hour or so after uploading a photo of the test result to get my official result.)

• mutley says:

The governments lateral flow reporting system is down AGAIN! if you ring 119 they cant help as they use the same system as the general public. Its a F**king shambles, can this govt get anything right???

• TGLoyalty says:

You can register it any time up to 24 hours later.

I do 1/2 weekly for work and not had an issue since they launched the at home test for all.

• TOBIAS L says:

I have a question for the people here who use voldeportal or any equivalent site, as I have never used it myself.

What stops you from getting cback for 5 items but returning 4 afterwards to the shop because you only needed 1? Does this track on the payment card? How do they monitor this?

I need to buy something which offers cback but will buy 3 diff sizes and only keep 1. Do i keep the full cback?

• SteveJ says:

No, firstly they are tracking with the seller, not your card. The amounts don’t become payable for months, enough time for the actual (after returns) value of the purchase to be known. In many instance you will get to payable on the net (after returns) spend, sometimes you’ll get nothing if you do partial returns.

• Sal says:

Pay point Q: I used the card today for the first time to pay council tax using Amex at a coop. Super friendly and helpful. However they were only able to put through £100 at a time although they said the till had an option for £200. So we did 2 separate transactions for £100. One accepted and one declined.

My current council tax bill is £140 in arrears. So I’m guessing the second failed because I don’t owe that much. Is it not possible to over pay on the council tax?

• Genghis says:

It’s because only one card payment can be put through a day, nothing to do with going into credit. So at mine, each paypoint transaction is £200 but they can rack up many times this, eg £160, £200, £200, then pay £560 on the card.

• RC says:

Does anyone know if the World of Hyatt promotional free night award expiring July 2021 will be extended ? Many thanks