Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 10th June

Comments (393)

• Heather says:

Just back from – Edinburgh – someone on here suggested The Outsider to another poster asking for restaurant suggestion and thanks- it was a great place to eat.
    Now – please can anyone suggest some restaurants in London – around southbank that are a bit different – not the Oxo tower or chain types?
    Thanks
    and ps Chez Jules in Edinburgh looked well shut

• chabuddy geezy says:

Bar Douro has great Portuguese food in London Bridge.

• Heather says:

and pps – Outsider, Vittoria on the bridge and Fishmarket in Leith were all in Shop Small!

• Harry T says:

Think a few of us have recommended the Outsider – glad you enjoyed it 😊. I’ll be there later this month!

• mr_jetlag says:

Cubana behind Waterloo – in fact most of lower marsh has fantastic food at all budgets.

similarly Anchor and Hope gastro on The Cut near the Young Vic theatre.

further east is Bermondsey Street – two spanish places (José and Pizarro), French (PiqueNique), again top tier stuff.

There was a branch of (Michelin starred) Duddells in London bridge that was sadly launched into the pandemic, had the chance to try it, shame it’s closed since.

• Cabal of rabid baboons says:

May I recommend Sapori Cafe just off Lambeth at Bridge?
      It’ll be £50 for 2 courses with a bottle of Sangiovese.
      Proper food, freshly cooked with superb service

• Aston100 says:

Dallas Chicken & Ribs.
      2 piece chicken, fries, 3 wings and an Orange Mirinda for £6.49.
      Proper ghetto experience in the city.

• mark says:

What are they serving in the Aspire Lounge at Gatwick these days since it’s a table service?

• KevMc says:

Does anyone know if the Virgin CC 2-4-1 voucher can be used as a one-way starting from outside the UK? I am interested in booking a one-way from HKG – LHR

• Anna says:

Rob – if you haven’t seen the earlier post and you’re not double jabbed, you will need a negative Covid test within 48 hours of arrival in Gibraltar from June 15th! PCR or antigen test will do, as long as it fits the specification. Just seen that Boots do s same day antigen test for £59, going to look into this.

• Anna says:

Our 2 teenagers will need negative tests, we won’t, could have been worse I suppose!

• Doommonger says:

Covid 19 Rapid Antigen tests are free, just go to a local pharmacy, alternatively if you want to send me £59 feel free. Did I say I won a 3 day break in Gibraltar in 2010.

Doomey

• Anna says:

Hi Doomey, you did say but I’m dying to know if you actually went!

I don’t think Boots would give us a free certificate to take on holiday, but if you’re an authorised provider and can do it for £59, happy days!

• H says:

I would like to issue an MCOL claim against BA for refusing to rebook me beyond 12 month ticket validity after BA cancelled the flights (booked during 50% Avios sale). The date of the outbound and inbound have passed but I have not yet accepted a refund, FTV or reroute within 12 month period (as I had booked my flights to visit the destination during a particular season). I have seen in comments that before issuing a claim through MCOL one should book a refundable ticket. Can someone please explain why that is needed? Is the amount claimed from BA the cost of the refundable ticket paid or is it the equivalent of avios + taxes for the replacement flight (valued at 1.6p per avios)?

• Anna says:

I imagine it’s in case you don’t win, though successful cases are starting to stack up now. You should claim for the full cost of the replacement flight as that’s how much it will cost you as you (wisely) haven’t accepted the refund on your avios flights.

• H says:

Thanks Anna – that’s helpful to know.

• Manya says:

What would be the worst outcome here if MCOL isn’t succeful?

I similarly had flights to Mexico booked under 50% Avios which were cancelled/rebooked but I thought that general guidance was rebooking within 12 months couldn’t be challenged as it was part of original terms and conditions. I get that it doesn’t really offer much given that your ticket could’ve been for T+364 after day of booking but I didn’t know MCOL offered an alternative option.

• Jody says:

I wondered that too. Am in a similar position. It seems odd, because if for any reason we don’t win, there is no way we’d actually purchase that particular ticket (it’s over £26000!!!). I don’t see why you can’t just say that this is what a ticket would cost (I accept this might be made clear on the MCOL paperwork but haven’t yet looked at it and no previous experience).

• Lady London says:

Travel prices change in real time constantly. So you could get a quote or even try asking for a pro forma invoice. This would only give an indicative price though as without a booking, there is no guarantee you could actually buy at that price when you were ready. Hence holding a booking and thus fixing the price, and your replacement cost for your flight that was cancelled or for your reroute that you’re entitled to.

There’s always the chance that the airline sees sense in time. So holding a fare for the flight you need but of a type that can be held but does not have to be ticketed till close to the flight and can still be cancelled if you do reach another solution makes sense. It saves your free cash and gives the airline a chance to rethink and provide what you are asking for rather than forcing you to buy it elsewhere. So win-win. And the fact that these tickets are often much, much, more expensive than it would cost the airline to simply give you your rights has nothing to do with it. 🙂

• SteveJ says:

Anyone have experience of both the HIX in Poole and the HI Bournemouth? Flush with IHG points (did someone say MS?) and considering both for a short couple of days stay.

• Rob says:

We’ve reviewed HI Bournemouth.

• Steve says:

Thanks Rob, looks like I’ll go to Poole instead, I think we’ll prefer being away from the crowds, and the free breakfast won’t go amiss, clearly won’t miss anything at the HI!

• Jimbob says:

none gone through a KYC/ income check with bendy for giving too much money to Ernie?
    Asking for a friend 😬

• Andrew M says:

You should advise your “friend” to settle in and prepare for a long wait with zero communication from Curve.

• avstar says:

IME pretty efficient i would say, and more far reaching than other institutions

• DuncanS says:

A question about extensions to BA Exec Status. My silver status was extended to Dec 2021, and my card expires in Dec 2022. Does that mean I will remain a silver status member without taking a single flight till Dec 2022? If so thatvisvgreat, but not sure how that encourages members to try and rack up flights when the skies reopen?