Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 11th June

Comments (341)

• Travel Strong says:

Just completed an excellent stay at the HGI Snowdonia. Hard to fault it with everything being so new. Obviously room, gym, communal areas are all spotless and modern decor – smeg appliances in the room is a nice touch. Encountered no real snags or issues.

But – I did take the hfp comments advice and had evening meals at the Y Bedol pub 15 mins walk down the road – highly recommend, quick service and good food. It feels like this is the way to go with the HGI Snowdonia. Use the hotel, go down the road to local places for food.

I did have the hotel breakfast though, which is thankfully back to a buffet with hot food served to you by an employee – which is without a doubt the best breakfast approach I’ve encountered in covid-times. Hilton sheffield park is another that is doing it this way, whereas others are doing a variety of different things, such as table service only.

The only thing that could be improved for me is to ditch the long-life prepackaged croissants/pain-au-chocolates and return to the fresh and infinitely more edible ones.

Bargain at 52k points for 2 nights at an otherwise sold out property.

• SteveJ says:

Thanks for the review, scheduled to head over there later in the summer, sounds like we’ve made a good choice (bizarrely we were also at the Hilton Sheffield park recently, looks like I’m following you around the country!)

• E says:

Interesting to get another view. I have a booking there to stay soon but was thinking of cancelling as the reviews (Tripadvisor and Booking.com) are quite poor.

• SteveJ says:

Posted late yesterday. Anyone stayed at the HIX Poole? Seems like a reasonable base to explore that coastline from, without being in the overly busy centre of Bournemouth.

Not expecting luxury, as long as it’s clean. Sticking with IHG as can get this on points.

• Ammar says:

Quick Q – I have an AVios booking with BA to TFS booked in economy but i can see availability in business/club, what is the cheapest way to upgrade/change the booking to club:
    1) Cancel (Pay fees but get avios back) and then re-book
    2) Request a FTV (despite BA not cancelling the flight) and I dont want a refund
    3) Or another way that I cannot think of?

TIA

• AJA says:

Cancel existing booking in exchange for a FTV then phone BA and rebook in Club using the FTV plus additional Avios. May be able to phone and do both steps at the same time.

• Sam G says:

Just call and change it – there aren’t any change fees currently

• Yorkshirerich says:

A couple of really quick questions and advice greatly appreciated.
    I’ve just booked my brother in at Hampton Hilton york with his wife and child for 3 nights 14th June to 17th June. I’ve put his wife as the additional guest. However I’ve also got the booking on my app for 13th to 15th june for Cardiff. Would anyone envisage there be any problems here, or is just waste case scenario I wouldn’t get the nights added on my account?

Also, I’ve enquired with Emyr for my friend and his wife to stay at the kimpton clock tower in Manchester. Got him a really good deal, and I’m presuming again there would be no problems if I booked it through my future wife’s IHG account? I wouldn’t want any problems at there end as I’m helping them book it for a special occasion but he’s more than happy me getting the points etc.

Many thanks in advance for your expertise.

• Genghis says:

You’re not meant to get the points / they’re not meant to get any status benefits etc anyway.

For safety (though in reality you’re not likely to experience any issues but you never know), I’d book both the Hilton and IHG bookings in the name of the person who is actually staying, especially if paying cash. If using your points, but it’s not clear whether this is the case, just call up Hilton / IHG and they will do this for you.

• John says:

With overlapping stays, the first one to check out will credit and the second stay won’t. Some reports that the diamond desk will credit the second stay (but if you say you didn’t stay, they won’t).

Your brother will need to pretend to be you.

• Andrew says:

Miele popped up on my Amex offers this morning. 10% on £500 up to £250 return. Online and at their Edinburgh and London stores.

Just wondering if Miele Outlet counts as Online…

• SteveJ says:

Outlet stores are excluded. Do they have an outlet section on the main website?

• Sarah says:

Perfect…. except the 2 appliances I want for our new kitchen are both out of stock!!

• stevenhp1987 says:

Data Point:

Just had my V11 to renew my car tax.

The Gov.uk vehicle tax service once again accepts Amex so you don’t have to wonder down to your local Post Office to pay it.

• Tom says:

I have a cash booking in PE and there is an offer to upgrade for £270 which I want to do. Am I able to use one of FTV / evoucher to upgrade?

• Martha says:

Has anyone received a retention bonus for amex green?