Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 11th June

Comments (341)

• Rh says:

Just leaving a U.K. airport and was asked the purpose of my trip by border control/police. I didn’t think they were meant to ask for an Amber country as it is advisory only?

• Babyg says:

yeah thats weird… travel is no longer banned…

• Jonathan says:

They can ask you the question but can’t punish you if you say I’ve been on holiday. Same as the police sometimes made an appearance & pulled people to one side for flights from Amsterdam, Dublin etc pre Covid.

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s all advisory

• Harry T says:

They can ask you whatever they want, but it has no bearing on your legal right to travel.

• MJ says:

They were allowed to ask this before Covid!!

• Anna says:

Quite, they can ask whatever they like, it’s whether or not you are obliged to furnish that information that matters. They might just be making polite conversation like a hairdresser!

• George1976 says:

You sort of are obliged to answer their questions because they’re allowed to hold you for x hours (might be 3 or 4) without having to give a reason, like the normal plod would.

• Nick G says:

If they suspect you be a terrorist!

• Anna says:

Where did you get that nonsense from?! The police can’t hold you for any amount of time without reasonable suspicion that you’ve committed a crime. And as Nick G says, there are very limited circumstances under which they don’t have to tell you why.

• SteveJ says:

Not really nonsense though is it Anna. If border ask you where you’ve been and you give them short shrift you’ll get their back up and are more likely to look at you with suspicion. They’re paid to be sceptical.

• TJones says:

Border Force are not Police.

• A says:

@ Anna, @ Nick – the powers under Schedule 7 TA 2000 don’t require them to have reasonable suspicion you’re a terrorist – the powers are unusually broad (and offensive) in that regard

• Anna says:

A – it actually states in the TA 2000 that an officer can arrest anyone they “reasonably suspect” to be a terrorist!

• A says:

@ Anna – yes, it does say that re: power to arrest; but there are extensive detention powers elsewhere.

• Anna says:

The powers relate primarily to examining (as in questioning) someone, obviously these can’t be exercised if someone refused to remain with the (specially accredited) examining officer and therefore a power of detention becomes necessary to carry this out. It’s not a power primarily to detain someone. There are also strict criteria around deciding if someone is going to be questioned. There are multiple safeguards against someone just being shut in an interview room and left there!

• A says:

@Anna – right, so in other words when George1976 said they have a right to detain you for a few hours, they do in fact have that power. Glad we’ve established that now…

There are in fact relatively few safeguards to a Sch 7 TA stop, and if an individual refuses to answer questions and attempts to leave they will very likely be detained under the Sch 7 provisions and required to remain in the relevant location. And reasonable force can be used to make you remain in that location. There are multiple stories of this power being used fairly egregiously.

Long story short: Sch 7 is generally a bit rubbish and gives the police fairly broad powers to stop (and search you).

• meta says:

Something doesn’t add up. There is no border control in the UK on the outbound. There can be police presence, but they are not border force.

• YC says:

Will amex allow you to move an offer from 1 card to another? Looking to hit a SUB but offer is not on that card. TIA

• James says:

BA have just changed my flight times for a BA Holidays booking. Do I have the right to cancel and ask for a refund?

• ChrisC says:

by how much time are the new flights compared to the old flights as that will determine whether you can cancel for a refund or not.

Also are the flight numbers the same as that also affected the position

• mart says:

recently booked some of those cdg-lhr-lax-hnl-lax-lhr-cdg fares for next year fingers crossed it happens
        is it true if the flight numbers change on the cdg-lhr or lhr-cdg legs you can request to drop them?

• ChrisC says:

I hoestly have no idea.

Be interested to know the answer just in case. Would save having to do the positioning flights …

• James says:

Sadly I don’t think I have any grounds for a refund; same flight numbers and only 1 hour 25 minutes maximum difference in flight times.

• Memesweeper says:

If I do 2 * £8 on Amex in a corner shop, same card different days, does that trigger Shop Small?

• mark says:

• AJA says:

I’d say not. I thought the minimum is £15 in one go and for one shop.

• ChrisC says:

I think it’s taking the pee to do this.

Whilst the £5 is being funded by Amex the retailer will be paying two sets of card use fees.

• Memesweeper says:

The “corner shop” I had in mind is a cafe I really struggled to load up on £15 in grub yesterday. Deep breath, and back again next week with my sup card then…

• Genghis says:

Aren’t the card fees percentage based?

• KBuffett says:

Some have a percentage + authorisation fee subject to a minimum fee. Depends on how the contract has been negotiated

• Callum says:

Are credit card fees not normally a percentage? Though if a shop is happy to take card payments for an £8 purchase I don’t see how you could possibly be “taking the pee”? It’s not like you’re tricking them into it…

• Ian M says:

Is it no longer possible to cancel Avios redemption bookings with BA? Only option is to receive a voucher.

• r* says:

No idea if they have disabled it for avios but I had to ask them on twitter to cancel a fully flex ticket as they had disabled the ability to get cash back from fully flex, offering only a voucher lol

• r* says:

Assuming you mean online vs calling that is.. its absolutely still valid to get avios+fees back on an avios booking – you do not have to take a voucher.

• Ian M says:

Ok, so I need to call to cancel an avios booking now? Great customer service from BA…

• Ian M says:

I had the same problem recently. Fully flex cash ticket but no option to cancel online for a refund. Making a lot more work for themselves and their customers but we all know why they’re doing it, they want to keep our cash

• Fred says:

What Twitter handle are people using? I have a 241 booking still not refunded (no cash, avios, voucher…nothing) since last year!

• Sam G says:

best channel for this is to register on flyertalk and private message ” BA refund helper” – Twitter doesn’t seem to be able to do much more with refunds than the call centre (i.e. not a lot!)

• ChrisC says:

You have to call if you want a full refund less the £35 admin fee

If you are happy to have it all wrapped in a voucher and avoid the dee then you can do it on line.

• Anna says:

You can cancel online only if BA has cancelled the flight. The refund facility has been disabled for over 12 months now.

• Josh says:

Where can I get the cheapest day 2 & and 8 amber testing ?

Also same for test to release, any same day options that don’t require mail in would be great thanks!

• Nick Burch says:

Go to https://www.gov.uk/find-travel-test-provider and search for nationwide, then sort by price. However, be aware that the lowest cost ones can be a bit iffy and can struggle with the volume of orders that being the cheapest brings, so you might want to pay a bit more for one of the airline discounted options like Randox.

For TTR, head to your nearest airport, ExpressTest or Collinson should be able to do you a test with results same day. Not the cheapest, but the quickest!

• Aston100 says:

KLM call centre agent on the phone told me that if *they* cancel a flight in 2022, you can’t have a refund but must accept a voucher which has to be used within 30 days.

What kind of bollocks do airlines teach their staff?
    This is worse than the rubbish I’ve heard from BA in the past.

• Sam G says:

KLM have actually been very good during all of this, got me where I needed to be twice when BA had given up and their current refundable voucher policy is very generous. They also restored full biz service before BA. But yes this sounds silly ! You’ll get a refund of course, they have an online request form for it

• bafan says:

KLM and Air France both have the most delusional staff I’ve ever heard in my entire life. Both in call centers and on the ground. Someone should tell them it’s not the 1980s anymore.

• Lou says:

I’m continuing my tour of Hilton properties, now as a newly minted gold. I have to say, I’m loving the Doubletree Greenwich. Cute hotel, amazing customer service. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow…

• Andrew says:

Hilton Hyde Park is a great value stay, decent location and the à la carte breakfast is included as a gold member. I called the day before to request a park view room, despite booking a standard room and were happy to oblige, processing it on the phone so I could do the 24hr advance app checkin and select my room number. £204 for 3 nights and £50 back on Amex – can’t go wrong!

• Lou says:

I stayed in the Hilton Hyde Park last month. Also an excellent experience. I’ll do another visit when there’s another cheap room. Given I live in London, it has to be a good deal for me to justify an overnight stay, haha. So good to get out of the house though.

• Andy D says:

I also like the Hyde park one for friendly staff, good breakfast, tube access/location and always get quite a nice room somehow there. Tend to stay there when down for a meeting with one of my runner mates who likes Hyde Park in the morning. Often a total bargain compared with the newer properties.

• Anna says:

We’ve got 3 nights there in July, good to hear!

• Lou says:

I’m trying to think which other nearish Hilton’s to try. Keeping it under £70 is the goal. Maybe I’ll be lucky and the Metropole will do a good deal

• Aston100 says:

Well, the ‘Kensington’ one was really cheap the other day.
          Quite a dated hotel and the rooms could benefit from a refurb.
          But staff were all very friendly; housekeeping came every day; they had a hot buffet (limited options though); got upgraded to a 1 bed suite despite paying for the lowest category room; vouchers for 8 drinks!
          Busses outside take you everywhere and there is a tube station 5 minutes walk.

• Peggerz says:

Say Hi to Aline at breakfast!
      Stayed at Greenwich two weeks ago, really impressed and will be back next month.
      A Hampton stay next week should get me Diamond for the 1st time.