Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 18th June

Comments (314)

• Andrew says:

Just a bit off topic for the usual cohort on here, but I know some (like me) enjoy the occasional dabble in a visit to B&M, Home Bargains and the like from time to time.

Following the closure of the Thorntons (directly owned, not franchised) stores, whoever supplied them with ice cream has ended up with a bit of an overstock. It’s arrived in the wholesale and clearance supply chain. So if you visit a branch of Poundland or their sister company Fultons, you’ll probably find litre tubs of Vanilla Thorntons Ice Cream for the expected price and 3.5 litre wholesale tubs of Thorntons Ice Cream (various flavours) for twice the expected price (£2).

Six month shelf life on the tubs of salted caramel and the Strawberry I bought.

Various “Travel Exclusive” confectionery have reappeared in B&M too.

• MD says:

Twice the expected price? That doesn’t sound like much of a bargain…

• Yorkie Aid says:

What? £2. Keep up! 🙂

• Anna says:

Lol. My freezer is currently full of half price Carte D’or from Morrisons but my cleaner loves B & M and brings me their amazing value face and foot masks when I run out so I’ll let her know!

• Yorkieflyer says:

Foot mask? The mind boggles

• Anna says:

My Yorkshire-born OH rolls his eyes as well!

• Navara says:

“My Cleaner” Does she holiday at Center Parcs?

• WaynedP says:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a foot mask ?

Have I foolishly been mis-naming them “socks” all my life ?

• Anna says:

Lol, plenty of people on here have cleaners. I hate housework with a passion so would rather earn money from doing something I like and use that to create employment for someone else. She would think people were insane to pay CP prices though!
            WaynedP – a foot mask is like a face mask for your feet, and they usually come with plastic coverings for your feet to avoid mess! They moisturise, get rid of dead and dry skin, help heal cracked and dehydrated skin and generally leave your feet feeling lovely and soft!

• WaynedP says:

Ha ha, I forgot there was a different type of face mask before Covid.

As for your description of foot mask, I’m grateful that a childhood spent mostly barefoot has meant my feet have never needed any maintenance in adult life 🙂

• Blenz101 says:

Wrong forum?

• Michael C says:

“Interestingly”, the new IOM exemption for 2-vacc people only exempts children under 5. Anyone aged 6 and over that has not had 2 vaccinations still has to test on day 1 and quarantine until their result arrives.

• Bill says:

This pisses me off cos my son runs the risk of missing sports day in the event of a non timely result notification. Might have to reschedule a trip to another time when a late result won’t impinge on the following day

• Ian M says:

It’s amazing the difference in reward cards in different parts of the world. Yesterday I received my new Alfa Travel Premium Visa Debit card from my bank in Moscow.

Provided I spend at least 150,000 ruble per month (£1,500), I’ll earn 5% cash back in the form of Alfa Travel credit. If the spend is under £1,500 it’s 3% cash back in Alfa Travel credit.

The Alfa Travel credit can be used to buy cash airline tickets with just about any airline in the world at very close to the airlines own rate. If I don’t have enough Alfa Travel credit I can pay the remaining amount with cash and earn 11% cash back on spend with Alfa Travel!

Other added bonuses.. there’s no foreign transaction fees, the account comes with a Priority Pass, 2 x 2,500 ruble Yandex Taxi credit per month (Uber), travel insurance and lots more. When the bank told me about it all I was waiting for the catch, but there was no catch, there’s no account fee!

• TGLoyalty says:

It’ll be down the the difference in interchange and other processing fees.

• Ian M says:

Yeah quite. But what a difference!

I love the Alfa Travel credits, gives huge flexibility

• C says:

When I worked in Moscow, my Unicredit Russia account package (any costs covered by my employer) included a number of benefits, including the usual travel insurance, access to some lounges, and–the best from my perspective (bearing in mind that I had an Amex Plat for insurance and Priority Pass) was 10% cash back on ALL restaurant spend. It just shows the different dynamics across markets, and competition for customers. Compare to the UK, where customers tend to be treated like battery chickens producing golden eggs (i.e., fee and interest income).

• Ian M says:

Very nice! I’d love 10% cashback on restaurant spend

• Nick says:

Not quite. In a world where interchange is capped at 0.2%/0.3%, banks simply don’t have as much to play with in terms of rewards. If interchange is uncapped as in Russia, the market works differently. It’s actually a much more democratic/socialist system here… because everyone with a card benefits. In the likes of Russia and the US, poor people who aren’t chased by banks pay higher fees (hidden in store prices) to subsidise benefits for rich customers who are. Despite being in Group B myself, I’d much rather the fairer overall picture we have.

• Mr. AC says:

Don’t get too used to this. This package is way too generous. Similarly generous accounts that were gutted recently:
      – Raiffeisen #VSESRAZU: used to be 5% on everything, survived for 3 years then was gutted last year
      – Citibank: 5% if spending £15000 per year, just today announced it’s going away (Citibank leaving Russia)
      – Uralsib – don’t have details, just saw chatter on the forums about this getting gutted as well
      Alfa Travel has had a good long run already, so I give them less than a year… Enjoy it while it lasts!

• Simon says:

Creation payment link (saved as a bookmark) • is anyone having issues with this today? I have been using this link for a couple of years now without issue, but today I am getting the error message: 500 – Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Is anyone else finding this?

FWIW: I have tried via Chrome, IE, Edge, Mozilla — same error every time.

Thanks in advance.

• Reney says:

me too, assume it is linked to the change in T&C.

• Jonny says:

Mine still works as normal

• Harry T says:

I paid Creation yesterday and had no issues.

• stevenhp1987 says:

Paid this morning no problem.

• Simon says:

Thanks, chaps. 🙂 I’d initially feared that this might’ve had something to do with the new Creation Ts & Cs, but, fortunately, it does seem to have been an IT issue, as mentioned above. Many thanks, all.

• Anthony says:

Does anyone have PFP energy and want to refer me? will the tariff be the same as offered on comparison sites?

• Anuj says:

Hi, https://refer.pfpenergy.co.uk/shivr-11 here’s a link. It should be, when I was applying the price was the same but I have seen older reviews stating this is not the case. Only takes a minute to compare with and without the link though.
      Thanks if you use it

• JohnT says:

Rather annoying to be reminded about filling in my Passenger Locator form for BA flight from Toronto this evening! If only, as flights were cancelled and refunded months ago!!

• WaynedP says:

My App in the Air phone app doesn’t seem to automatically pick up the numerous cancelled flights I’ve had over the last 14 months, so always chimes the doh-me-soh-doh check-in reminder.

The instant extra sympathy shower I get from my wife when she’s within earshot far outweighs the momentary feeling of disconsolation, so I don’t bother to manually delete the cancelled flights from the app.

• Anna says:

In the unlikely event of the rules on self-isolation for amber countries changing before the end of July, am I right in thinking it would be possible to fly to Spain but visit Gibraltar for a few nights without taking any tests apart from the one required to return to the UK plus day 2? (As long as the UK and Spain stay on Gibraltar’s green list). That’s what it seems to say on the Visit Gibraltar website as land arrivals are treated differently from air.

• Anna says:

Compulsory tests, that is, of course we would still be doing our free lateral flow tests every couple of days!

• Rob says:

It’s fine for Spanish and Gib passport holders (I’m here at the moment) – double check the wording re other passports.

• Martin Short says:

Will be closing Amex Platinum (will try for retention bonus then still canx after I get those points)
    Can I transfer MR points to new Amex BAPP?
    I do not think that I need to wait until the BAPP changes after 1 Sep or do I?