Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 18th June

Comments (313)

• Ollie says:

Is there a way, when referring for an Amex card, for the referee to get a completely free choice of card and for it not to be glaringly obvious which card I have? I have Platinum, but I’d rather not be conspicuous in announcing that to my colleagues, nor to think that they can only apply for Platinum. I know they can scroll to the bottom and click on “other cards”, but they might not necessarily know that and might give up once they see the annual fee. The people I’m referring are not really the target for Platinum but would be for other cards.

• Anna says:

If the people you are referring haven’t got much experience of Amex you probably need to give them as much information as possible before they apply – there have been a couple of cases mentioned on here where an inexperienced applicant has applied for the “wrong” card and referral and/or sign up bonuses have been missed out on!

• M says:

Hmm couldn’t you phrase it as “amex promotes the most expensive card, you need to click through to get the BAPP/gold/whatever”?

• Ollie says:

That’s a great idea! I’ll check it’s compatible with the text on the page but sounds promising!

• TGLoyalty says:

It won’t be as it’ll say you’ve been referred for a platinum by your friend …

I mean tbh who cares and if your colleague does question why just sell them on the fact it’s was a shed load of points when you signed up worth well in excess of the fee for a few months.

• mark2 says:

I send a set of instructions with screen shots.

• John says:

Meet them at a cafe or pub and do it in person

• Freddy says:

If a friend of mine wanted me to apply for a financial product whilst in the pub I’d tell them to f off

• Duster says:

We are looking at a visit to London to do the museums (Natural History, Science etc.). Premier Inn seems to be a good bet. Is there any HFP crowd preference between the Premier Inn Kensington (Olympia) and Kensington (Earl’s Court)?

• Aston100 says:

Do you have IHG or Hilton status?

• Michael C says:

Doubletree Hyde Park has good summer rates if you don’t need a rollaway: lovely walk to the museums through K Gardens. We also have Hilton Kensington booked for Aug: GBP90 for 2 adults/ child with b/f, just so you can compare with PI (which are often great value).

• Rob says:

You can’t get a deal at DoubleTree Kensington, HI Kensington, Marriott Kensington (just refurbed), Hilton’s 100 Queens Gate etc? These are within 5 mins walk of the museums.

• PK says:

Is there a way to get discounts at B&M? PAW doesn’t seem to have their gift cards, and neither does CB sites offer any discounts at B&M.

• Andrew says:

Until the end of April, you just flashed your NHS staff card for a 10% discount.

Nothing on Ode (nee Spree), but there is a boost at ASDA for the next month to 3.5%

• r* says:

After like 8 months, my IHG cc free night has finally appeared on my acct.

• Damian says:

Has anyone had positive / negative experience of using the Randox Home PCR tests for flying? I purchased two for my in-laws to return to Ireland. However Randox don’t put RT – PCR on the FTF certificate even though they say it is the same test. Ireland are quite strict about the tests so for peace of mind I have booked the Express Tests at Gatwick ( previously used and say RT-PCR on certificate) and will keep the Randox for elsewhere.

• TGLoyalty says:

I have to be honest I’d never trust a at home PCR test for a pre flight, too many variables.

Save the money on the Day 2/day 8

• stevenhp1987 says:

I just got a Fit to Fly certificate from Randox and it says:

“Type of Test: Sample collection for the RT-PCR test is in the form of a swab, which will gather an individual’s nasal or throat
      secretions.”

• John Bancroft says:

I am thinking of booking a BA Codeshare Business Class flight on Qatar Airways under a BA Holiday Umbrella, one night hotel plus flight to Brisbane next April, which requires a £300 deposit. The flight departs Brisbane on April 30th at 22.05. If this flight is rescheduled to first of May, would I still be covered with the Fly with Confidence which expires on 30th April?
    Also, it’s a BA I Business Class booking would I have access to the Doha Qatar Airways Al Mourjan business lounge?

• ChrisC says:

Yes you would still be covered by BWC in those circumstances.

• Rimmingtown says:

I would read the small print and call BA rather than accept the well intentioned and likely correct, but potentially flawed advice on here just to be on the safe side.

• AJA says:

I think the BWC guarantee is for holidays and flights up to 30 April 2022. Anything after that date won’t be covered so as long as you are returning on 30 April that would be covered. The issue you will have is that any flight disruption when you are in Brisbane will be for Qatar to sort out and as that will be a flight between Brisbane and Doha it will not be covered by EC261 / UK261 as it is not a European based airline flying to the UK nor is it an EU / UK flight so you will be relying on Qatar’s rebooking rules.

I am not sure whether an I class booking will gain you access to the Al Mourjan lounge. I think it will. You will only have problems if it books into R class. If you have BA Silver status, or OW Sapphire that should override any Qatar non-lounge access.

• Jonathan says:

BA/OW status gets you into the status lounges which are pretty rubbish. There has been temporary relaxation during Covid as they were closed but I believe they are open again now & almost certainly will be next year.

BA codeshare in I class will get Al-Mourjan access though. The restrictions currently only apply to QR fares.

• Louie says:

I’m sure you know this, but getting in to Oz without quarantine next April is pretty unlikely. Furthermore, if there are still caps on passenger numbers, booking on a codeshare is unwise as you will be the first to be bumped if the flight is overbooked, as would be likely, even in business class.

• Louie says:

Meaning the flight into BNE, you are not likely to have issues with overbooking on the return.

• Tom says:

OH has added me a card holder on her Amex. When activating this card is there a way of managing the card within my Amex account rather than creating a new Amex account which is what it seems to want me to do?

• HayMow says:

I’m able to view my supplementary (to my husband’s) Amex card in my own Amex account both via the website and app. If it’s possible, maybe skip that step or try via the app?

• Craig says:

Wait a few days and try again, if that doesn’t work create a new account, wait a few days, remove the card from the new account and add to old.

• Michael C says:

So…absolutely no lounge option of any type at LHR T2, right?!

• Rob says:

Plaza Premium is open, Lufty is open.

• Michael C says:

Thanks Rob – I should of course have said for BA! It’s the rain, making me slow. And the 0400h start to the working day!

• Nick says:

BA doesn’t fly from LHR T2, so I don’t know why or how you expect them to provide you with a lounge.