Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 18th June

Comments (313)

• Mike79 says:

Just closed my former Lloyds Avios card. Read on here a couple of days back that someone was offered a retention offer. No offer was available to me but going to put all my Mastercard spend through on my Virgin card now anyway.

• CarpalTravel says:

Sorry if this is a really silly question but I have looked about and cannot find an answer.

I had a Virgin R+ card which I cancelled in March. You cannot pool Virgin Airmiles like BA so can my wide get the Virgin R+ card and point it to my Virgin Airmiles account? Not wishing to do anything dodgy, it’s just it’d be utterly pointless starting her from scratch when I have over 150k points.

• CarpalTravel says:

*Wife, not wide.

• Tom says:

In the not so distant past Virgin have allowed me to pool points when making a booking when the other person is also travelling. Not sure if policy or just helpful CS.

• lumma says:

I always thought that was policy, you can use points from two accounts as long as both are travelling. Need to call though

• CarpalTravel says:

Ok that is great info, thank you both.

• Magic Mike says:

Virgin will generally let you pool points between two as long as one person has at least the points for one leg for one person.

• Gary says:

primary card holder’s name has to match with flying club account name but as mention VA quite relaxed with pooling during booking process

• Andy says:

Any non BA lounges open at T5 at the moment? Got Amex Plat so wondering if Plaza Premium is open? Or the other option (Which i’ve forgotten as it’s so long since iv’e been anywhere!)

• Rob says:

Aspire is open, was there on Wed.

• Andy says:

Thanks Rob, I’ll give it a try! Shame Plaza Premium is shut but i guess that’s to be expected…

• Reney says:

There were a bit of chat over the weekend, and some people were going to try using Bezos (this is an easy code name right?) to pay other billionaires. Any luck?

• Yuff says:

Spain removing wearing of masks outdoors next week……

• TGLoyalty says:

Holland removed wearing them anywhere but public transport and airports from next week….

• BearingUp says:

Hmm, let me try to understand this –
    -Italy is to introduce 5 day quarantine for U.K. arrivals due to Delta variant, as have several other members of EU
    -Is the implication we are the only country to have this variant? I doubt it
    – 30k+ new covid cases during last week, c1k hospitalised, only 84 have had both jabs
    – consideration to be given to allowing numerous foreign VIPs into UK from wherever without quarantine for the footie
    – restricted travel around UK due to local requirements, 20k Scots in London for footie- Sturgeon says they shouldn’t have travelled
    – EU travel corridors launched
    Is it me, or is there a complete absence of any logical plan to overcome this fiasco or is going to end up ‘Everyman for himself’ and to hell with guidelines, regulations, laws etc?
    Therein lies the road to anarchy.
    Quite frankly, I despair every time one of our politicians opens his/her mouth.

• Phil says:

After doing my best to abide not just by the letter of the rules for the last year (even when doing so was pretty confusing because the rules had been poorly written), I am now getting to the point where I no longer see the purpose or value of the restrictions in place. I reckon we are 8 weeks away from orchestrated civil disobedience if the UK government don’t pull their finger out and start acting like grown-ups.

• Yorkshire rich says:

I think 8 weeks may be too long. We are an extremely well behaved obedient nation but I feel having the Football celebrities from all over the globe to visit whilst the average joe is restricted to some of the most absurd rules I have ever heard may just be the final nail in the coffin.

• Anna says:

Also, it’s illegal for a Scottish person to visit Bolton or Blackburn but not for 20,000 of them to cram into Leicester Square?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

GWR first class service standards have declined a fair amount… no snack box or substantial food and as far as I know no alcohol which they used to do on a Friday afternoon

• Rob says:

Yes, was a bit rubbish on my trip to Bath the other week. The Paddington lounge is partly open but very little going on.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Yeh very annoying. Not going to die in a ditch though because at least I was one of two in an entire carriage

• Ollie says:

I’ve ended up doing chargebacks whenever that happens to me. It’s an advertised part of First Class service so if it’s not provided then the service isn’t as expected. Goes through almost instantly, sometimes Amex require a screenshot of the website promising food.
      I don’t see how they can promote it as a benefit but say it’s “complimentary so not guaranteed”. If that’s the case then they should price tickets accordingly, ie as if they didn’t provide food!

• Super Secret Stuff says:

There was food but not really a meal, a flap jack, crisps (run out), cookies, peanuts and a small range of drinks. Sad the snack box has gone, that was minimal but made a difference

• Nick says:

On the plus side, Pullman dining is back. Very much looking forward to trying it out (first time!) soon.

• Anna says:

Italy is introducing a 5 day quarantine requirement for people entering from the UK. It doesn’t say what would happen if you were entering from a neighbouring European country though.

• Yuff says:

Every country, it seems to me, is doing what is best for themselves.
      Even though we’ve left the EU lots of European places want our cash so the end result is a mish mash of regulations to appease political and financial goals.
      Italy 5 day quarantine, Spain no testing on entry…….you could not make this up.
      It’s not just Shapps who is cocking this up……..