Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 19th June

Comments (308)

• Josh says:

Need to get to the Caribbean in April 22 and took advantage of the BA J cash tickets ex BCN > Miami return for £1100 each.

We were thinking of spending a night or two enjoying BCN before starting our trip as the value was so good. We would then need to take a flight from MIA to our destination and back.

Since we will also soon have a new BA 2 4 1 companion voucher, we would be able to fly direct from LHR to GCM (considering ex EU/dublin for lower fees?) and not have to worry about flight changes.

Q: Is Dublin the easiest/most cost effective place to exit from? Ideally we would want to exit somewhere that is accessible via LCY airport for ease.

2. What’s the latest policy around our cash flights? Would we be able to get them refunded/take a voucher that can be used towards award taxes + fees?

Thanks!

• Anna says:

Currently bookings using the 241 have to depart from the UK so no saving on fees possible, however this may be one of the changes coming from September IIRC, so it might be worth holding off triggering your voucher till then.

I think your only option with the cash flights would be to request a FTV, I used one against the taxes/fees on a new avios booking last year but I’m not sure if this is still possible.

Let’s hope GCM actually reopens by 2022, I want to spend a couple of weeks there next year as well!

• Anna says:

More award availability should be opening up from September which would be handy as the avios seats to GCM around peak dates like Easter get snapped up very fast.

• Anna says:

Possibly departing INV or JER would save on the fees as these count as UK departures.

• Kevin D says:

Evening guys. I’m after an electric scooter. Anyone recommend a retailer on BA Rewards to purchase from and get some Avios?
    Cheers

• Travel Strong says:

Without checking for current best offers – halfords and laptopsdirect. However compare to other portals (voldemort) which have even more options. Xiaomi M365’s are a common choice, but some more bespoke brands (pure, riley, etc) are on other portals. I like the M365 for the ability to modify the software though.

• Rimmingtown says:

Grown men on scooters, it’s just wrong

• Travel Strong says:

Note: if using other portals, dronesdirect had higher cb than laptopsdirect

• Cup says:

For those who used the qured or Prenetics antigen tests abroad for the return to U.K. test, did you carry the test kit in your carry on or hold luggage?

Curious to know if you have to separate out the test kit solution into the liquids bags when going through airport security if brought on carry on luggage

• s879 says:

I carried it in my carry on and good thing as Delta Airlines lost my checked bag! They did relocate it but I would recommend you carry it in your carry on. Liquids in the antigen test are like a teaspoon so shouldn’t be a problem. I didn’t take my Day 2, Day 5 and Day 8 tests with me as I needed them on return back to the UK.