Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 19th June

Comments (310)

• Matty says:

Do I need a negative PCR test – Fit to Fly – for a flight with BA to Greece? I know the Greek authorities are happy with evidence of both jabs but I wondered about BA.

• Mike says:

I thought the Government guidance is “ You should not travel to amber list countries or territories”

• Sam G says:

No, just your vaccine evidence and a rapid test (locally or Qured etc) and your 2+8 tests booked to come back

• Ian M says:

BA don’t have any requirements themselves. You only need to follow the rules for the country you’re travelling to.

• Aaron C says:

No it is whatever the destination requirements are. We uploaded our Cyprus travel passes and proof of immunisation to the BA website and they were pre-checked so checkin was fast and nobody asked to see them at checkin.

• TimM says:

No you don’t. However as BA check-in desks deal with flights to many final destinations, the staff you encounter may not be up to speed on Greece’s requirements. The one who dealt with me at Manchester had to ask a colleague – I am in Greece now. The checks are done at the check-in for the first flight. Check-in therefore was painfully slow as each final destination has different requirements. The Greek authorities in Kalamata only required sight of the PLF. It was not scanned and the NHS double jab proof was not requested. I had my passport stamped – the first time this has happened in Greece for decades!

• Matty says:

Cheers, Tim.

• Mike says:

Is it really worth it to spend 10 days in quarantine on return?

• Yuff says:

It’s only 5 days with test to release…….
        Odds of having poor weather are much higher in the Uk, than Europe, or other places further afield.
        Let’s hope all the rumours are true about the amber list being binned when Europe’s covid passport comes into force.
        With covid the 24th ranked cause of death, in the Uk as reported yesterday, there is no way the government can keep this charade up much longer, especially when Europe is completely open and pretty much back to normal.

• Sam G says:

To be honest if I arrive back on a Sunday and spend my working (from home) week in isolation and do a test to release from a reputable supplier on Friday in time for the weekend it’s really no big deal, the only thing I miss out on is a couple of gym visits and the expense of needing to get a dog walker. I imagine plenty of people are in the same boat

• Ian M says:

I’d imagine that a large % of people don’t fully comply with the quarantine rules anyway

• The Lord says:

You’ve just described my week after returning last Saturday

• Sam G says:

a pretty normal week for me after returning from a holiday anyway!!

• Aaron C says:

Yes. It is only 5 days with test to release and I’ve got a long list of jobs to get through during the 5 days. Sure I’d rather not have to do it but it’s nice to get a proper holiday and much or Europe seems more normal than the U.K. with hotels being pleased to see us unlike the U.K. where they seem to see guests as germs and want to take away anything nice.

• Rob says:

Collinson is doing ‘same day’ Day 5 tests now too, so five days is REALLY five days – no need to wait for the result.

• GeorgeJ says:

Yes, I used Collinson this Thursday and though the result didnt come back until the early hours of Friday it was good enough to get me to Wembley on Friday (ok a waste of 76 quid as it turned out).

• meta says:

Testing for All does the same although they have limits about how many tests they can process, so needs to be booked in advance.

• meta says:

Yes, some people haven’t seen their families for almost 2 years. It’s not all about holidays…

• Matty says:

Well said. It’s not a holiday.

• TimM says:

Precisely. I am visiting the only house I own in the World that happens to be in Greece and I have not been allowed by law to visit since it was broken into, until recently. The very few times I have been allowed, the flights were repeatedly cancelled. Some folk just have holidays on their minds when, in fact, being the full-time carer for my mother in the UK was my ‘holiday’. Even now, she is with me while I do repairs & maintenance on my house but BA have cancelled our inbound flight to the UK after we departed! It is far from a holiday.

• Nick says:

Stay at home if you want. Live and let live.

• TGLoyalty says:

Unfortunately, it’s becoming increasingly clear that a proportion of society don’t want others to live in freedom.

They’ve enjoyed the shackles and want everyone to have them for as long as possible.

• Nick says:

@TG I don’t think that comment is fair. I do very much want people to live in freedom… which is precisely why I do agree with restrictions being imposed now. It’s blatantly obvious that travel is spreading the virus, and the sooner we control it properly, the sooner we’ll get back to the kind of open travel we all love. Restrictions are necessary to prevent selfish people causing (and prolonging) pain to everyone else. I also don’t think we’re far from the end, it just requires patience.

• TGLoyalty says:

Travel is a way of life for all kinds of necessary things in the U.K.

leisure travel merely stops the spread of a new variant by a few weeks if not a few days.

Anyway we have c60% of the population with second jabs now and 90% of them have had the 2 weeks required for the full affect. This 60% were by far the most at risk and as this is all about severe illness and packed hospitals then it’s over.

There is no known vaccine busting variant to date regardless of when it emerged therefore your fear is just prolonging life restarting.

• TGLoyalty says:

Not that bad if you have your own garden.

Plus Imagine landing home on Thursday morning. Most of us will be spending 5 days indoors.

• Hak says:

In what sense do you mean by “worth it”? You are legally obligated to remain in quarantine unless the five day test is utilised (I think). However, the chances of actually be caught if you were to violate the quarantine are next to nothing, so you could deem it as not “worth” sticking to the quarantine. Up to you and your attitude to whether you think you should be sticking to the rules, suggestions, etc when others, including our elected elites, violate them as they see fit.

Re Stamp … #brexit

• AJA says:

Yes of course it’s because of Brexit, but who cares? Do you moan when your passport is stamped on entry to the US or any of the other countries not part of the EU?

• TGLoyalty says:

We never had freedom of movement with those countries.

Yes I do mourn the fact that we have lost something that meant we could travel freely around lots of our continent.

• ash says:

Don’t stress about it. you can still travel freely

• TGLoyalty says:

You obviously can not. We are banned from travelling to many EU countries where we would not be as EU citizens.

• Louie says:

Can’t say I thought TGL was moaning.

I like having passport stamps. Reminds me of the places I have been. At least there is one good thing to have come out of Brexit 😉

• Paul says:

Passport stamps are all well and good till you fill up a jumbo passport and have to keep paying for a new one!

• TJones says:

If you like passport stamps, you were always able to request them even in EU countries.

• Louie says:

@TJones – Australia won’t stamp your passport (obviously nothing to do with Brexit mind you!).

• Bigmaggot says:

£3 bonus on £10 or more spend through Airtime Rewards with code JUNETREAT

Buy a £10 gift card anyone?

• rams1981 says:

Boots have a few

• Reney says:

I already have quite a bit of Boots gift cards, they can’t be used online which makes them harder to used. They have had a couple of £10 specials that I wanted but didn’t have time to get to the store.

My last Boots purchased did not track on Airtime, I used my mastercard directly no bending anything.

• Reney says:

just had a notification on my app, to celebrate 7th birthday of their app, load a spend 35 get 7 worth of points. Today only. Can be combined with Airtime if you use the right card. You need to buy actual stuff thou not gift cards.

• Colin says:

Never chased the “missing” Economist £45 credit, but landed in account today.

• Sam G says:

I had a scare…went to check for it after seeing the chat on here and I’d saved the offer on one card and paid with another !! Luckily got a 175 refund and bought again using my OH details instead with the correct card ! So hopefully lands soon.

• Gtellez says:

Got it today too!

• joseph jordan says:

“With covid the 24th ranked cause of death, in the Uk as reported yesterday…”

Taking that as fact, I’m guessing it’s easier to prevent than the other 23, and is the only one that is infectious ?

• Aaron C says:

Not really since flu and pneumonia are ranked above it and heart disease (no 1) is easy to prevent by non-intrusive things like not smoking and eating a balanced diet.

• Andrew says:

As well as having the right genes from your parents.

And looking after your teeth.

• Doug M says:

“Easy to prevent” – Biggest single factor in determining likelihood of heart disease is hereditary not lifestyle.

• Yuff says:

Hmmmmmm ……….I’m sure there is something that has been designed to protect against covid……..and potentially rolled out …..now what is it 🤫

• Andrew says:

Except it’s largely in effective against the Delta variant.

• Yuff says:

I suppose 92% protection against serious illness is largely ineffective 🤣🤣🤣

• Andrew says:

Well I wouldn’t want to be in that 8% that are hospitalised. And who knows what variant comes next and how ineffective the vaccines are against those. The pandemic is far from over I’m afraid.

• Rob says:

Yes you would, because you have virtually 0% chance of death if hospitalised after vaccination.

And it’s not 8%, it is 8% of what it otherwise would have been. 2% IIRC of covid cases end up hospital, so you reduce that by 92% and those are the odds.

If you’re not a fat, old, smoker you can reduce your odds by another 75% or so.

• Brighton Belle says:

Please don’t quote science or evidence as that confounds the desire to spread gloom and doom.

• A says:

Andrew – when you say “in that 8% that are hospitalised” – I’m sure you’re already aware but the way the 92% effectiveness figure works, it means that for every 100 people who would otherwise have been hospitalised without a vaccine, only 8 will be hospitalised now.

So your risk of being hospitalised is not 8%, it’s background risk percentage (depends on age )*0.08. So much, much lower than 8%

• A says:

Andrew that’s nonsense.

PHE study estimates that after two doses:

– Pfizer 96% effective versus Delta in stopping hospitalisation/death after two doses (94% after one)
          – AZ 92% and 71% for above.

I’d call that largely effective, not mostly ineffective.

Preventing serious illness and death is what we ought to be focussed on – there’s little justification to seek to prevent non-serious illness.

PHE data was released around June 16th if you want to Google for it.

• Harry T says:

@Andrew that’s total bollocks – the vaccines in use in the UK are immensely effective against all known variants of covid.

• Yuff says:

Well said Harry 👍🏻👏🏻

• Andrew says:

Albeit after one dose the efficacy is quite low and the possible complacency that people have not to socially distance after one dose is probably leading to the rise in cases.

• Yuff says:

Or more likely the areas with the highest cases are also the areas with the lowest rate of vaccination.
            Take a look at the map of the areas with the lowest uptake of vaccine in care homes and the areas where the highest cases of the variant.
            Remarkably similar, coincidence ……I think not
            If your understanding of 71% protection, after 1 dose, is low then you are just looking for excuses not to open up the country…….

• Andrew says:

AZ offers 30% protection against symptomatic disease to Delta after the first dose.

• A says:

@Andrew – but AZ after one dose gives 71% effectiveness against serious illness. The preventing rate again symptomatic but not serious Covid is really here nor there

• Andrew says:

I agree that is more important, I just don’t fancy getting Covid at all, but as is regularly expressed here, we can’t stop life forever to protect ourselves against things which won’t kill us, so I will concede as my appetite to risk is probably unduly low.

• TGLoyalty says:

@yuff at a micro level perhaps but at a macro level that doesn’t hold.

The lowest vaccination rates (for those it was available for up to last Sunday) are in London and highest cases are in the north.

I suspect there are many factors at play than just vaccinations such as housing density, population age and most importantly restriction “fatigue” areas that have lived under restrictions for the longest are probably mixing more now that it’s possible after so long etc

• A says:

@ Andrew fair enough – recognise we all have different risk tolerances and we all need to make our own decisions about what we do / where we go (versus what is permitted by law from a broader policy perspective) accordingly

• Hak says:

Simply not true.

• Harry T says:

No one apart from the guardian cares about covid symptoms unless they lead to hospitalisation or death. The studies on the first dose of AZ (which are flawed) don’t matter because most of the people getting AZ who are clinically vulnerable have received two doses already, or will have them within the next two weeks. And the youth are getting the MRNA vaccines. Despite all the shit stirring by the media and Downing Street, we still haven’t encountered a variant with significant vaccine breakthrough.

• Margaret says:

Most clinically vulnerable people were given Pfizer (myself included, and I was told that in February when I had mine).

• TGLoyalty says:

I think that very much depends on your local hub/doctor.

It wasn’t a blanket U.K. wide policy.

• Swifty says:

Same. I have long covid and its significantly impacting me. Despite staying indoors. Honestly Rob that sounded pretty off, fat, old, smoker blah. Not at all. Still really ill

• TGLoyalty says:

My god. Ofcourse it’s not the only infectious disease that kills many many people a week.

• Rob says:

The other 23 will include death from smoking, death from alcohol, suicide and car accidents, I imagine, so that’s debatable.

• TGLoyalty says:

It doesn’t even mean it’s the single reason either since it’s deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive Covid test

• joe Jordan says:

As i said, I was taking the stat that someone else quoted as fact. I didn’t say it was the only infectious disease that kills I said that it’s probably the highest one on the list of 24. I Think flu was a lot lower this year, as a result of mask wearing and hand sanitiser.

• TGLoyalty says:

If you download the ONS death stats you’ll see flu have deaths outnumbered Covid on a week by week basis for a few weeks now.

• Anna says:

My 15 year old nephew had a call confirming that he had the Delta variant last month (most likely caught at school). Neither of his double jabbed parents caught it, nor did his unvaccinated sibling, although they obviously live at fairly close quarters, especially during the isolation period. The only symptom nephew had was the loss of his sense of smell for a few days.

• TGLoyalty says:

Vast Majority of kids will never know they have Covid. Honestly, it’s time to stop disturbing their education so we don’t actually end up with a generation of Covidiots

• Alex says:

RE: Wimbledon tickets. Can you attend twice? If you and a friend have both got tickets for different days for example.

On their FAQ it says “ You may only purchase tickets for one day of The Championships.” and “You may purchase up to two tickets for any given day of The Championships, pending availability.”

• A says:

Yes you can attend twice, the restriction is on purchasing tickets not attending

• Rob says:

I would imagine if the bookings are in different names then you’re fine.

• JP-MCO says:

I have a quick question which I wonder if someone might be able to help me with – I have a Flight + Hotel booking with BA made last weekend for travel in October. I want to change the outbound destination but not the inbound one or the hotel. Can I just ring up and change this or do I have to cancel it and apply for a FTV instead? Thank you.

• Sam G says:

You can just call , the flight element will be repriced as if you were buying today anyway

• roberto says:

Call and they will reprice the trip – I did the same recently and actually got a partial refund.

See how much it is to start from scratch before hand so you have all the facts and you could cancel for an FTV then rebook if that’s a better option paying a deposit if time allows and using the FTV as a further payment. Strictly this is not allowed as the FTV is supposed to be used to book the replacement trip and not as a further payment but I have found this never enforced.

But call first, and if you can do it as lines open or risk long wait times.

• JP-MCO says:

Thank you everyone, really appreciate the quick responses. I will call them!

• Kenny says:

Where is the best place to credit an Etihad flight?