Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 19th June

Comments (308)

• Navara says:

Watching the Scottish fans last night I thought the country was opened up⚽️

• TGLoyalty says:

Since England allows groups of 30 outside I guess it has outdoors.

• Number9 says:

Watching G7 last weekend when they forgot about the cameras I guess sunny Cornwall has as well.

• Ian M says:

yeah, what a difference between their staged propaganda photoshoots and how they behaved before and after!

Do as we say, not how we behave

• TGLoyalty says:

Nope just politicians … they’ve been do as I say not as I do all throughout this.

• Dips says:

Suggestions please:
    1100 Hyatts points expiring
    3000 Aer Lingus points (Avois) expiring (how do I just move these back to BAEC?)

• Rob says:

Log into avios.com and click ‘Combine My Avios’. Job done.

No real way of saving £11-worth of Hyatt points.

• Dips says:

Can I gift Hyatt points to HFP then?

• Mike says:

Oh what a great idea to get able to gift things to HFP – there ought to be a way . I think Rob should look into it and also I way to make donate to HFP – I have often thought I owe Rob for this and raising. Toast in the Concord lounge is not really the same!

• Mike says:

Make donate = make donations ( bad typing )

• @mkcol says:

I was laughed out of here when I wanted to donate/transfer some orphan Radisson points. Shame.

• Toppcat says:

This is a great idea. Rob – I’m sure lots of us would like to pay our HfP subs by gifting you orphaned/expiring points.

I’m sure you don’t want to publish all of your account numbers in public, but hopefully someone smarter than me can come up with a solution…

• Rob says:

You can’t do it, because I’ve not done a paid stay in the last 12 months!

• JohnT says:

Any advise please, as about to do my first 1am flight booking tomorrow evening (for the outbound leg of 241 open jaw to USA)? Seems to be to try USA (from about 00.45 but they may close) or Japan (eg via Skype). Actually paying on diff Amex to my 241 BA one. Understand more interesting one is adding return leg to existing booking a week later – will they do that OK?

• MattB says:

Just book outbound online, but call to add return.

• JohnT says:

Yes – thought about that as not any of the really popular routes..

• Memesweeper says:

Yes they will do that OK. You can book the outbound online if you’re quick and the route isn’t too popular. Adding the return requires an early phone call…

• pauldb says:

Random place to raise this but, if you’re making a simple return going west and with change fees currently waived, is there anything to stop you booking a same day return is read of just an outbound. Then, at 1am on the release date of your inbound, go online and change the inbound to the correct date. No fees and no phone calls, and with no passenger/payment details to enter you should be grabbing the inbound release very swiftly?

• Jonathan says:

Phone agent will always beat online as they can reserve them immediately whereas an online Booker/changer only reserves them when paid for. I’d say a change takes at least as long as a new booking so not worth the hassle.

• Frankie says:

Peeps. Please can I pick your brains as I try to work out what this Top Secret Hotel is on Lastminute.com. I fancy a wee treat stay tomorrow night. From copying and pasting into Google I THINK it’s the Marriott County Hall. As always. Many thanks in advance for any responses.
    “ Located a few meters away from the South bank of the River Thames next to London Eye and Tate Modern, this hotel features spacious and modern rooms. The Restaurant offers an international cuisine in a cosy atmosphere. Innovation is packed into this 4-star hotel – free Wi-Fi throughout, an interactive info system, the latest
    Microsoft Surface table in the lobby, the iPad table in the restaurant and electronic shower privacy screens. Even the swimming pool has been given the digital art treatment”

• Jake says:

That’s deffo the location of the county hall hotel.

If you want to confirm, just phone up and ask about one of the details. Reception will more than happily confirm…

• The Savage Squirrel says:

That’s the Novotel Blackfriars.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

‘a few meters away from the South bank’ and ‘next to London Eye’ is very generous if it’s the Novotel.

• pauldb says:

Agreed. You can also sort the results by distance (from eg Waterloo) and check the review scores.

• Lady London says:

…And Rob did a very good review.

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s not Marriott county hall because it clearly states 4*

• Memesweeper says:

Slightly random one this… turns out Resident Advisor is on Shop Small. So, if you are thinking about optimistically booking some clubbing nights out for later this year maybe don’t wait?

• Memesweeper says:

Plenty of events through to October already sold out…

I’ve two or three spares for Eastern Electrics if anyone’s interested incidentally, after a collective bailout by some friends…

• N says:

Ha! Excellent find!

Maiden Voyage for me this year as my punt of a booking.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Avios for economist sub taken in Feb posted yesterday!

• vern says:

Got a short break in London booked for end July flying down from Manchester. Had an email from BA this morning saying the MAN-LHR flight was cancelled on the Saturday and we had been rebooked on the nearest available flight which was the following Monday giving us 5 hours and 20 minutes before the return flight. Went online and there were two other available flights on the Saturday with plenty of space on the one we changed to just one hour and 5 minutes earlier than we should have flown.
    Is this just rubbish I.T. or someone taking the ****.

• GeorgeJ says:

Rubbish IT, has happened to me as well. Just call up and they will sort it.

• AJA says:

That’s ridiculous. BA should move you to the earliest available flight. You’d think BA would move you to the closest flight to your original time even if it is earlier than originally booked. Glad you managed to move to the earlier Saturday flight (if I’ve read that correctly?)

• OP says:

Apparently there are Plat/Centurion events for the Summer London Restaurant Festival? In typical Amex fashion I haven’t had any comms directly, but is this correct and can anyone share the link?

• Rob says:

I got the email weeks ago but will have been booked up within 30 mins based on previous years.

• Kevin C says:

Not all the events are sold out at time of writing. Emails went out from Amex and Gastronomous.

• Rob says:

There were Plat-only events.

• Kevin C says:

Yes and they aren’t all sold out (eg. Bentley’s Oyster Bar has a date left). Not all the Centurion events are sold out either. (I’m not Centurion but have got on one of the mailing lists)

• Mikeact says:

Another of the regular “90% take up by HfP readers ” I guess .

• OP says:

Thanks – I seem to miss a lot of these despite being signed up so might investigate. Mostly sold out now, some looked fun!