Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 19th June

Comments (308)

• Michael Winfield says:

Can anyone help answer this question which I cant see an answer to on gov.uk please? I am planning on going to Lanzarote on 25th June. Do I need to have day 2 and 8 covid tests booked BEFORE my departure? The reason I ask is because if the Canaries were to be designated Green at the next review, then I assume I would have paid for something unnecessarily . Thank you

• Aaron C says:

You just need the test references to complete the passenger location form so you can book from abroad if you like. There are no outbound checks.

• abc says:

You need them booked before your departure for the return flight to the UK (but not before the departure of your outbound flight.)

• Anuj says:

Would people agree that Marriott is the best rewards scheme in terms of outsized benefits ? I have about 200k Amex rewards points and while I’m not thinking of transferring them till I need them. I was wondering which hotel rewards scheme would be best. I had a look at redemption rates and to me it seemed like bonvoy’s top hotels seemed the best

• Anuj says:

*seemed the best relative to the redemption rate

• Harry T says:

Depends where you want to go and where to stay, plus a myriad of other factors. Marriott Bonvoy points can also be transferred to numerous airline schemes, so they are more flexible than Hilton or IHG points.

• Memesweeper says:

Best value is reckoned to be Raddisson, in general.

I find they are never present in the right places, with the right availability, when I need them.

Marriott has been good to me as they have larger rooms available as a small cash uplift on redemption, and often are where I need them to be. I’m not sure about outsized, but if I had to clear out my MR account Marriott would be where the points are going.

Beyond hotels, there are some sweet spots in various airline schemes which are also Amex partners, which will deliver huge value versus cash tickets. But you need the availability, at the time you want to book — hotels are generally much more useful in this respect.

• Chris Heyes says:

Anuj No Hotel scheme is any good to transfer Amex rewards points to !
      every Hotel scheme is not good unless it has a additional bonus for transferring
      If you have to ? just pick the one your going to use within 12 months

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Actually I’d say Radisson is pretty decent. Generally a solid 1p/point, and some serious outsized redemptions can push it way above that in the right circumstances. Like everything it depends on location and likely use – RadissonBlu Edinburgh during the Festival will get you ridiculous value but I wouldn’t be wanting to use my MR points to stay in their grotty USA portfolio – some of the Country Inns are basically hostels for transient workers and probably a worse choice than Motel6.

• Tiger says:

Looking to rent a van for moving my house. Any suggestion for a good offer/deal or any points earning opportunities?
    TIA

• Andrew says:

Are you doing it brick by brick?

There’s a 10% offer on Europcar on LBG at the moment. We used one of their electric ones recently to move a colleague’s belongings.

• Number9 says:

I was just happy to find a van left to hire for my house move on Monday that wasn’t outrageous money. Booked with local company not one of the big companies.

• Anon says:

I am planning on following the couple guide (link below) – I haven’t held an Amex for >24 months. However my partner currently has the BAPP. Am I correct that this would make them ineligible for all of the bonuses aside from the Platinum? I am thinking that the best plan therefore is to follow the guide for myself in terms of card order, but get my partner to just start on the Platinum. Does that make sense?

Thanks as always

• PK says:

Finally used up all my Morrison’s gift cards and I am a free agent now! In terms of fuel, which is a better merchant – BP or Shell? These are the closest to my home. Morrison’s was a bit out of my way and it was a pain to go there everytime.

• joe Jordan says:

Are you doing it brick by brick?

🙂

• Yuff says:

Britons were given a glimmer of hope of some Mallorcan sunshine this afternoon after it was revealed that Britain could scrap quarantine for those who have had both vaccine jabs.

This possibility is being openly discussed by the British government and it would mean that even if Spain remains on Britain´s amber list for travel, people who have had both jabs could travel to Majorca without the need for quarantine on return. Instead, they would have to take a daily test.

One travel source said: “It is a long shot but at the moment we will take anything we can get….” There is a growing concern that Spain will not be welcoming British tourists this summer.

• Anna says:

This has been widely discussed over the past few days! Most sources seem to be expecting a statement by June 28th, though they’ll need to get their act together to formulate a coherent policy (e.g. what will happen with unvaccinated children of vaccinated parents?) by the start of the main summer travel period.

• Anna says:

FCDO advice will need to change as well, or most people still won’t be insured to travel.

• Aaron C says:

Hardly anybody in the world is vaccinating children and under 11s are exempt from current testing (I think that’s the age) so I don’t think this would be a problem.
        Daily tests would be a killer especially if they mandated private PCRs. Very few people would be prepared to pay for that (say £44ish for the cheapest PCR).

• Yuff says:

If LFTs are suitable for schools then they are suitable for border control and they are used to let people into the Uk anyway!

• Aaron C says:

Wasn’t Gove part of some pilot scheme whereby he didn’t need to isolate after coming back from Portugal because he was doing daily LFTs?

• Sam G says:

No he came into contact with a someone who tested positive. He came back from Portugal when it was green

• Anna says:

That was due to a Covid positive T & T notification, not due to travel per se, however it is supposed to be being rolled out to the general population at some point. The USA and other places are doing it. Annoyingly, it’s reported that the Cayman Islands have started vaccinating the 12 – 15 age group with vaccines (supplied free by the UK) which their adult population has refused. But then, prize draws are also being offered as an incentive to get the jab there, so nothing surprises me really!

• LST says:

Made my first ever avios redemption today, RFS from LHR to KLX for May/June half term next year. For 2 adults and 2 kids, saving me £2200 off the flight prices. Thanks to the HFP team and everyone in the comments for your knowledge and help.
    I can’t believe I didn’t bother collecting avios until last year, as I could have saved myself a small fortune over the years!

• Anna says:

It’s a great feeling, isn’t it?!

• Tomgold says:

welcome to the club. Isn’t it nice to enjoy life?

I have so many family members in awe of my travels, sometimes in business and lounge access, but they still won’t do a thing to earn points themselves