Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 20th June

Comments (296)

• DZOO says:

Does anyone have previous experience of the Italian quarantine arriving from England – presume it’s effectively the same as returning to England from non-red (i.e. stay at an address for the period and not managed at govt. facility) and limited checks?

• DK says:

I need to cancel a booking which includes reward flights for 3 people with 2-4-1. Will I be able to use this FTV to book new flights for 2 people utilising 2-4-1?

• Tracey says:

I would think so, but the value of the third persons reward flight, Avios and cash will remain held within the voucher.

• DK says:

Thank you Tracey. I just wonder if anyone tried as experience quite often is different from the rules stipulated.

• Patrick Cold says:

15,000 avios + £45 refund from The Economist have both credited. Thank you Rob.

• bafan says:

Do I need the Qured fit to fly letter printed out for the airport or is on my device fine?

• stevenhp1987 says:

Which airport? Phone should be fine but if you’re coming back to the UK you could ask your hotel to print it?

• bafan says:

Stockholm Arlanda? I’ll be with my partner so no dice…sure I could find somewhere to print if it was essential though.

• Cal says:

Did you manage to get Sweden alright? Interested to hear how you got on.

• bafan says:

Going on Thursday! Had to push it back a week, ended up in the hospital with kidney issues. For a 28 year old, I am really quite an unwell person 😂. My Mum and partner both think it’s a good idea to get out of London for a while so I trust them.

• Rob says:

I got out of Gibraltar on Friday just showing a test result, not Qured admittedly, on my phone.

• James Vickers says:

Interested to know which you used for leaving Gibraltar? Was it the one at the airport?

• Travel Strong says:

+1. Would be good to hear first hand experience.

• Rob says:

Yes – paid £30 so the arrival test could be used as a departure test.

• stevenhp1987 says:

Flew from LHR T5 this morning.

Noone in LHR checked our forms or Covid tests… First class wing and lounge empty.

In contrast there was about an hour wait in Malta as they were checking each form carefully.

Two extremes in one day!

Just happy to get away from it all enjoying our free €300 Malta Fit scheme credit. I’d almost forgotten how much better wine and food is in Europe…

• Keely says:

I’ve just rebooked Malta for end July – please let us know any hotel/ restaurant recommendations !

• Optimus Prime says:

They did check ours yesterday at 5am on T5 First Class Wing.

• MilesOnPoint says:

+1 Optimus Prime. Staff @ T5 First Wing had iPad to check requirements for each destination. Checked our test results and that we had filled out Portuguese (Madeira) locator form before printing out boarding passes and checking bags.

OP may have already uploaded result via MMB on BA.com and agent able to see result had already been verified?

• stevenhp1987 says:

Nope. Didn’t upload anything.

She checked the ipad… Maybe it had the wrong info for Malta as you need to fill in the passenger locator form, health declaration form and have a negative pcr test within 72 hours prior to arrival.

• Optimus Prime says:

We did upload them the day before yet she asked to see the printouts

• TJ says:

Breezed through T5 arrivals just now (arriving from Malaga)…was expecting queues at border control but literally not a sinner to be seen.

• BJ says:

I’m really curious what the desperation and angst is for so many to travel and have holidays? I know it’s a travel blog and all that but I too have had a life-long passion for travel and yet I feel very content at home at this time. It’s not about public health risks anymore, I’ve always believed that we should just get the nine priority groups fully vaccinated and then return to normal. In any case, living in Edinburgh, I would be safer going just about anyplace else at the moment 🙂 For me it is mostly about the hassle of following the changing rules and their effects on the need for certification and testing, cancellations and rebooking. Perhaps it is not as bad as I think, or it appears from the comments posted here daily but I just cannot be bothered despite the fact there is loads of places I want to go. I’ve had my small share of disappointments and cancellations although all were processed hassle-free in my case. Not sure what I am waiting for now, probably just the end of the testing and quarantine requirements for the fully vaccinated on return to the UK, I’m tired of the masks and distancing too though so I’d like to see that go also.