Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 20th June

Comments (296)

• Oz_Traveller says:

BA Premium Plus AMEX – BA Companion Voucher
    1. Will I lose my BA Companion Vouchers if I cancel my BA AMEX card?
    2. Can I book flights using my Companion Voucher without a BA AMEX?
    3. I plan to have the Platinum AMEX at the time of flying.

TIA

• Andrew says:

Amex will tell you 1) yes; 2)no. The reality is 1) no; 2) yes – you can pay with any Amex.

• Oz_Traveller says:

Thanks @Andrew!

• meta says:

You won’t lose you companion voucher if you cancel your BA Amex card. This is what Customer service will tell you, but in reality they don’t have access to your BA account, so can’t remove it. The only requirement is that you pay the tickets on an Amex, any will do.

• Numpty says:

You don’t lose the voucher! But when u do use or need to pay using (any) Amex card.

• SteveJ says:

3. You need access to any amex at time of paying. You don’t need it to still be valid at time of flying.

• Phil W says:

I did recently have a BA CSA tell me I had to use the BAPP I earned the voucher. Mine was cancelled long ago. I gave her the details of another AMEX and the payment went through.

• Sam G says:

On arrival you may be able to get a voucher but the easiest thing to do is book the Hilton Garden Inn T2 (then you can take the free train or the tube not mess about with buses), have a nice dinner (no alcohol)/ breakfast and send the receipts to BA Customer Relations and they’ll pay you back promptly.

• Sam G says:

@TimM this is for!

• Sam G says:

It’s a weird quirk of BA that they can’t handle these things in advance or even reassure you that the airport will be able to. Strange because they clearly can on the day on the ground. Easyjet has a much better online system for this

• AJA says:

I don’t think it’s a BA quirk. It’s a deliberate policy to avoid their responsibilities. I think they make the assumption that 95% of travellers don’t know their rights or won’t exercise them. Why automatically book people when they know that 95% won’t bother?

Also to be fair to BA the rebooking options are up to the customer so it will complicate things if they book hotels to match the flights they chose which the customer then changes.

That is why it is much better handled on the day of IRROPS and at the airport.

• Sam G says:

Oh I don’t think they should automatically book people, as you say that’ll be too messy. But other airlines like Easyjet, some American carriers have good online tools in their “disrupted booking” functionality to allow you to book a hotel if you need one. Also saves staff and queues at the airport on the day

• AJA says:

Yes I agree BA could do it better but with their record of shoddy IT it would probably go wrong 95% of the time 🤔 Or you’d get the DYKWIA crowd complaining that they don’t have Internet access or not liking the choice of hotels available.

• TGLoyalty says:

Is it just me that would sort out my accommodation and/or onward travel home within the U.K. and claim it all back?

At the end of the day all the hassle of communicating with ignorant/poorly trained CS telling you they can’t help does nothing but inflame the situation and bring on undue stress rather than enjoying the last few days of a holiday.

• meta says:

I’d call once and record the call where they refuse just in case they refuse after and I need to go to MCOL, then arrange it myself.

• AJA says:

+1 with Meta here. That’s the best approach

• TGLoyalty says:

Sound advice but I’ve never actually been turned down via a claim for duty of care via the website.

I think they rejected a £5 taxi out of £400 of claim once which I obviously just laughed and moved on.

• Number9 says:

I’m renovating a house from Tuesday and will have some big trade bills to pay, I have paid for small bills using Billhop before but is there another way without such high fees. I want to use my Gold Amex and BAPP card to max out spend limit for 241 and 10k bonus points. Is it also best not to trigger voucher till after September 1st, I haven’t had much time to read through all the new card changed etc, not even done nectar yet, which as a long time points collector I hang my head in shame.

• Number9 says:

I live in the country side best I can hope for is builder will take a payment into his bank account, there will be no fancy London ways of paying direct by credit card.

• Sam G says:

Unfortunately not. The only useful tip is I have is screwfix will take Amex if you buy online and pay via PayPal and B&Q accepts Amex now

• Number9 says:

Thanks Sam it’s to pay the actual trades, I’ll be project managing job so I can dictate purchasing but I can’t dictate how wages are paid. Also if you didn’t know you can go through ba store for both those stores for extra points.

• SteveJ says:

You could ask of you could pay some bills for them instead of paying them! Or pay them in Sainsbury’s/Tesco etc vouchers! You never know, they may take that.

• Lady London says:

Your builder will probably say No he’ll be using his own Amex Platinum to pay 🙂

• J says:

No idea whether this would work, but could you use your Amex to buy GBP travellers cheques (issued by Amex – not sure what the fees are, so might be prohibitive) and then pay your supplier with those? I believe there’s no cost to the recipient to cash them in, IIRC.

• Andrew says:

They are treated like a cheque by most banks with a standard business tariff.

So that would be approx £1 for the deposit, then approximately 50p per cheque. So twenty £50 travellers cheques could cost £11 to deposit.

• Number9 says:

Thanks for suggestions but as my costs are going to be around 50k not sure my £20 Tesco voucher will go very far. Lol
          Think I’ll stick with Billhop for some of it, until ImI’ve hit bonuses and 241. But good shout about Amex plat I’ve still got gold charge card so will max that for bonus then look at upgrading to Plat for that bonus as well.

• Charlie says:

Can anyone help me out. Is there a way I can use the Easyjet amex offer across mine and my wife’s card? For example book a 2k holiday, pay half on each and it’ll only cost 1600? Thanks

• Laura says:

EasyJet holidays let you pay a deposit and then instalments, I believe

• Freddy says:

NHS chief Sir Simon Stevens has urged those over 18 in England to have their first jab.

“Now’s the time,” Sir Simon said. “It’s the single easiest way to protect yourself, keep friends and family safe, and hopefully give us all our summer freedoms back.”

Does anyone else think it’s shameful that this is how they’re pushing those not at any real risk to have the jab – to get your freedom back!

• Yorkieflyer says:

• Will says:

• Ali M says:

• Roger W says:

Any excuse get to get everyone jabbed in my view! This age groups and non- Anglo- Saxons are potentially the biggest hesitancy groups. Younger people are getting sicker with Deltant variant. The more who are vaccinated will protect the whole community, particularly those unvaccinated.

So they and theirs are at risk. Young people suffering badly from long COVID too after relatively mild episodes.

So shame on anyone not actively encouraging everyone from getting jabbed.

Was just admiring the granite park chair purchased for my wife’s
      Cousins husband looking over the sea. Gym going healthy sixty year old. Son enjoyed a night out at Xmas, caught COVID and gave it to Dad. Guy did not even make it to hospital. Makes you think.

• Freddy says:

I was reliably informed it would be over once the vulnerable were vaccinated. Now it’s contingent on youngsters too. When will the pet dogs and cats be rounded up to protect the NHS and protect lives

• Number9 says:

That’s a step to far, they aren’t getting my dog or cat!

• Chris Heyes says:

Freddy WOW reliably informed was it “GOD” Wondering who would know the future ?

• Freddy says:

Boris assured me of this. This was after he told me Hancock was f***** hopeless

• Chris Heyes says:

Roger W yes Son will have to live with the realisation that he killed his dad for the rest of his life, just because of a night out at Xmas

• TGLoyalty says:

Wow I hope you don’t talk to him like that!

• Lady London says:

fair enough.

This is what numpties won’t get into their heads. Or maybe only they’ll only get it into their heads when someone personal to them gets hurt.

• Mrs_Fussy says:

Agreed. Having lost 2 friends under 40, uncle at 55 ( all healthy ), I have taken my chances/risk with the vaccine. OH had the mildest form of COVID and still isn’t 100% 8 months on ( I think calling it long COVID might be a stretch but certainly feels its aged him by 5 years )
        I don’t judge people who don’t vaccinate as government has lost all credibility and everyone knows the risk/reward as may not want to take a risk given we don’t have long term side effects mapped. but yes, don’t judge people who advocate vaccination as it maybe based on personal experiences

• Numpty says:

But they do seem to be at risk, the numbers of young uns now in hospital is ever increasing due to Delta variant. It’s a constantly changing situation and a once in a hundred year pandemic with no play book.

• TGLoyalty says:

“The numbers in hospital ever increasing”

It’s 400 higher in the last 7 days (1400 people) than the 7 days before that. At the jan peak there were 40k in hospital at any one time.

There is a higher proportion of the people under 65 because 96% of over 65’s had two jabs weeks ago and are damn near fully protected as they’ll get. But saying there are 40% under 65 out of 40k in January and 75% out of 1400 now tells you it’s an extremely small amount of people being admitted from 15-16k actual cases per day (Zoe estimate)

Btw 50-55k people are admitted to hospitals in a normal weekday and about 30k on a weekend pre pandemic.

• Yuff says:

TG
          50-55k a day…..seriously
          So 0.4% of admissions currently are covid…….

• TGLoyalty says:

That’s just people that were admitted not A&E visits unless they were then admitted. Not everyone spends days in hospital either. Tuesday/Wednesdays have the most admissions and Saturday/Sunday the least.

The fact 200+ Covid patients are admitted every day for the last 14 day or so but the total in hospital is only 400 higher last 7 vs 7 before (with only a few deaths) shows most are leaving without prolonged hospital treatment.

The papers seem to be suggesting Hancock hid just how good the vaccine efficacy data was from Bojo the clown …

• TGLoyalty says:

Suggestions hospitalisations are a third of what they were in “delta hotspots”

“While the North West’s hospitals have been under more pressure in the past week, just 2 per cent of beds are taken up by Covid patients – down from 6 per cent at the end of September.

A third of hospitals across the whole of England have no Covid patients, although that is likely to change as the Delta variant continues to spread.”

• Yuff says:

If Hancock has hidden it then July 5th opening must be on the cards.
            At some point the vaccine figures will cause the delta cases to plateau then drop……albeit the areas where it is spreading are more reluctant to have the jab…….
            Local lockdowns anyone……..perhaps they might work this time

• Anna says:

Yuff – I can assure you, local lockdowns stopped working months ago (if they ever did). As I predicted to our useless MP (who just as predictably did nothing whatsoever to improve our local situation), without effective self-isolation protocols, either through extra support or enforcement, Covid isn’t going to stop spreading.

• TGLoyalty says:

@Anna Covid is never going to stop spreading

All you can really do is reduce the risk of severe illness via vaccination and improve treatments for those that do get it.

• Mikeact says:

Here were again…more %. I thought this argument bottomed out the other day day.

• Anna says:

TG – ensuring people isolated would have slowed down the spread while the vaccination programme was rolled out. The failure to do this is the reason why the numbers are so dire in the hot spots.

• Numpty says:

and yet despite all that, you quoted me wrong! My comment still stands as correct.

• TGLoyalty says:

Unless you have a comprehensive breakdown of positive cases and hospitalisation by age range May/June and in say august/September I don’t know how you can say your point stands.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

“Does anyone else think it’s shameful that this is how they’re pushing those not at any real risk to have the jab”

They have the option but are not being forced to against their will. I’m not sure how you or anyone else can be outraged by someone having a free choice, but it seems you’ve managed it so Bravo :D.

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s not a free choice when you’re being told you will never get your freedom back without it.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Don’t get a driving licence and you can’t (legally) drive a car. Don’t get a passport and you can’t leave the country. It’s still entirely your free choice whether to do either of those things, and some people do neither. You’re free to decline any proposed medical treatment even if that choice will kill you.

All choices come with consequences – this doesn’t make them less free.

• TGLoyalty says:

Injecting something for which the long term consequences are completely unknown into your body is in no way comparable to getting a passport or a driving licence!

• N says:

• AnotherUser says:

Risk isn’t just individualised like that – even if someone isn’t badly affected by Covid themselves, it can be horrible if someone close to them does get very ill. Protecting other people is a perfectly sound reason to get an intervention like a Covid vaccine – which is extremely low risk, and on balance still probably of benefit to the low risk individual too.

• Freddy says:

Looks like the ‘freedom’ will be limited to August… No idea who exactly will be overwhelming the hospital if everyone is double jabbed

“A new lockdown may be introduced this winter amid a potential rise in Covid-19 cases at the end of the year, Public Health England (PHE) has warned.

Dr Susan Hopkins, the strategic response director for Covid-19 at PHE, warned that hospitals could become overwhelmed”

• David says:

• Mike says:

• Ali says:

Aah the daily vaccine debate where all the world’s leading virologists and epidemiologists stop by to share their knowledge and insight.

• Sarah says:

I took out the business Amex I’m April when they had offer on to spend £5,000 and get 50,000 points. Looks like standard 20,000 points have been awarded instead. Anyone else had any issues or is there any reason why that is correct? I have other BA AMEX card but not business or MR card.

• Sarah says:

*in not I’m

• Sam G says:

I called on Friday as I am in the same boat. It turned out some refunds I’d received that day had put me ever so slightly under, but the guy told me it’d post in 2 parts and the second would come after 90 days… I’ll try again this week once some more transactions post.

Don’t bother with chat, lots of people reporting that doesn’t work. Seems like calling in the working day and hoping to get a knowledgeable UK rep is your best hope

• Sarah says:

Thanks Rob and Sam. I will call tomorrow.

• Reeferman says:

Good luck Sarah! I’m on phone call number 5 for a similar situation, but with a personal Amex platinum. Was promised a call-back either Friday or Monday – won’t hold my breath.

• Steve says:

We have an early morning Heathrow T5 departure next month, and we’re wondering about staying in an airport hotel overnight rather than taking an Uber all the way out there first thing. With the Sofitel closed for quarantine, what’s a convenient alternative option (which won’t take too long to get to T5 – if it’s much over 30 mins I may as well go from home)? Is the T3 Aerotel a stupid idea?

• Rob says:

Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross, then hop on the tube or a bus (bus station outside tube station) to T5.

• pauline says:

For an early morning Heathrow flight is there a decent Marriot hotel where I can use my free night voucher?

• Rob says:

Renaissance is good but a Cat 1-4 voucher gets you little more than the Sheraton LHR.

• Rich says:

There’s a fair amount of walking involved to get to the stations at T2/3.

Premier Inn T5 has a bus stop directly outside and is 5 min journey. It’s not the Sofitel, but it’s decent enough for a night

• Memesweeper says:

+the one at T4. Almost as close and the bus stop is outside (don’t get off at the terminal).