Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 21st June

Comments (470)

• LM says:

Hi All. About to make a fairly big (for me) spend of approx 7K GBP, I’ve already hit my 10K spend on my BAPP which isn’t due to renew until December, and I can’t push the purchase back to then. Already had and cancelled the Gold card so don’t think there are any sign up bonuses I can make use of in the Amex ecosystem at least.

What’s the best way to make “use” of the spend?

• Rob says:

BAPP for your partner?

7k towards the £10k voucher on the Virgin paid card?

• TGLoyalty says:

Sign up for gold again with a referral and just hit half the 15k target for 10k points?

• ee says:

If you use an Amex 2 for 1 on an economy booking and FTV it a few days later, is the voucher, avios and cash completely flexible apart from the named passengers?

E.g. if I book an economy return LHR to LUX, could the FTV subsequently be used against First LHR to JFK for the same passengers? (obviously with more avios and cash added)

I’ve heard a rumour that BA staff are expecting an announcement tonight. Could be nothing, but I don’t want to risk the FTVs going away!

• Sam G says:

Yes you can do this

• Anna says:

What are the chances of it being an announcement that we can get refunds online again?!

• ChrisC says:

I know someone said there was going to be a BA staff meeting tonight but I don’t think allowing online refunds again would merit that sort of effort.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Online refunds have been back for a while!

• Jonathan says:

I’d say more likely announcing a consultation over redundancies than anything minor like changes to FTV’s.

Hopefully not for the staff’s sake but we’re approaching the point when furlough won’t be essentially free money for employers.

• Richard says:

Just checking I’ve got this right – if I book a reward flight with avois that gets cancelled can I move it to any other day regardless of avois availability?

• Phil W says:

Theoretically yes but you might need to HUACA to get a compliant CSA.

• ChrisC says:

generally yes and you should be able to do it online in MMB once your flight has been cancelled.

I realy don’t thunk HUACA works so much as agents seem to be putting notes into bookings when people call asking for things which aren’t available under policy.

• Memesweeper says:

If you try to do it online, and it fails, wait a few days and try again.

Also try the contact centre on the phone.

Keep trying … don’t take no for an answer.

You’ll probably get what you want eventually, but be prepared for a fight. Most agents want to help, and sometimes the IT just hands you want you need on a plate. Rules and system implementations seem to change almost daily so be patient and keep trying,

• Tracey says:

Does anyone know if weddingshop.com should be on shop small?

Is there a way of checking, given I don’t know it’s location so a map is useless.

• Andrew says:

A handy hint if you are looking for a location of a business is to look at their website. Both their shop addresses, sorry, “showrooms” are listed on the site.

Then if you go down to the T&Cs you’ll generally find a the true name of the business and their registered address.

Maybe even just type “wedding” and “London” on the Shop Small site.

It doesn’t look like they are listed.

• s879 says:

Question re the Economist Amex and Avios offer. The digital one is £179 before the Amex offer and 15,000 Avios. Will it work with the 30% for students if I take out the subscription and pay with the Amex card. Will it mess up the bonus Avios?

• Blair says:

Likely you’ll get the Amex offer rebate if total cash cost to you on your card is £175+. I’d say you can kiss goodbye to the Avios though.

• Rob says:

Student offer unlikely to show Avios.

• rams1981 says:

Bought a mate a present from Liverpool FC shop online and it qualified for Shop Small. Unexpected bonus

• Eppleby Green says:

My wife and I are due to arrive at T5 in the late evening so booked Sofitel T5 for August 30th. through the BA website. We noticed on HfP that the Sofitel is a quarantine hotel and will be until 31st. October. I contacted Sofitel asking about alternative arrangements and they replied that it was not their problem and to contact the third party booking agent re: alternative arrangements.

Their exact words were:
    Please note as the booking is created via 3rd party booking agency we are unable to assist you. Please contact them in order to check what are the arrangements which they have made.

Is this right? Legal? Fair?

• Tom1 says:

Yes – your contract/booking is with BA. They are the ones who need to assist you.

• ChrisC says:

Your contract is with BA not the Sofitel so BA as your agent have to sort it out.

As this is a 3rd party booking Sofitel likely don’t even know who BA has booked into its hotel just that BA booked x number of rooms on certain dates.

• marcw says:

Yes – you booked via BA Holidays – it’s their mess and they need to sort it out.

• Lady London says:

aota
      all of the above

• TGLoyalty says:

Says it all really … https ://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9706875/Fewer-one-200-amber-list-travellers-test-positive-Covid-return-figures-show.html