Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 22nd June

Comments (280)

• Anna says:

Morning all – I thought cancelled Avios flights now came as evouchers which could but used on line but I was wrong – why does BA make everything so difficult?! So a long wait on the phone looks likely.
    What happens if you cancel a flight for 4 but only 3 of those people can travel on the new booking? Can you get a refund of their Avios/cash or is it lost?

• Andrew says:

I think it’s a total value voucher ie Avios value and cash value so not person dependant?

• Sam G says:

Yes you can get a refund minus the usual £35 fee

• Aaron C says:

Israel will be open for fully vaccinated people from 1st July. https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/jabbed-tourists-children-0-6-to-be-allowed-in-israel-from-july-1-671557

Is it safe to go there? Keep reading about balloons and rockets and suicide bombers. Would the mainstream tourist places be ok?

• Si says:

I think given the words you’ve used above, I would suggest not. Chances are you/we/everyone would be absolutely fine but in a place as volatile as Israel at mo, if it goes bad, it will be very bad very quick.

They’ve prob done this as desperately need the tourists to bring in some cash…. wars aren’t cheap to fund

• mr_jetlag says:

Israel continues to be a high income country and has higher GDP per capita than the UK. But don’t let the facts get in your way…

• BSI1978 says:

A cursory glance at the most recent tables if nations with highest GDP per capita (assuming this particular parameter is a worthwhile one, which itself is another debate) shows this not to have been the case for the last few years so your argument doesn’t hold up.

In any event, the original comment talked about volatility in Israel which I don’t think anyone can reasonably argue with?

• TGLoyalty says:

The most interesting part is how high Ireland is!

• mr_jetlag says:

correct, I wouldn’t go at present myself but have friends who have been in Tel Aviv during the latest instability. I think the opening of travel has more to do with their high vax rates than funding a war (the US is happy to do that all by be itself).

• Mouse says:

@TGLoyalty – Ireland is high because it’s a tax haven – lots of contribution to GDP calculations from companies putting their official EU HQ there but with little contribution to the local economy.

• TGLoyalty says:

@mouse I know why but it’s still surprising how high vs other “tax” havens I guess some are those reduced due to tonnes of migrant construction etc workers

• Tracey says:

Have Avios flights booked for August, fully intend to travel unless there is another outbreak.
      Generally, things escalate and de-escalate very quickly. You’d have to be unlucky for your visit to be at the same time as an outbreak.
      Some locations are obviously more risky than others, but the main tourist areas are generally ok.

• HAK says:

All depends on ones attitude to risk. But, for me, the probability of actually being killed are remote and having been to Israel several times I highly recommend it. Then again, I am young and have no children, so perhaps this explains my somewhat cavalier attitude when compared to say the view of my parents (who think I was bonkers for visiting a “warzone”).

• Jonny says:

Yes, mainstream tourist places will be fine, the streets of the major cities are packed again!

• Paul says:

Just watch out for the Hertz staff at Ben Gurion airport. That was the biggest threat I faced when I went there. They really should wear masks!

• Aaron C says:

Thanks everyone. Seems to fit with what I’ve read online so it might well be a goer. I’ll probably wait and see if anything else goes green next week before making a final decision.

• Dr Benway says:

Greetings all. Recommendations for a hotel at manchester airport please [for an early morning departure] and who to book through? thanks!

• Louise K says:

Radisson will be the easiest since it’s attached to two of the terminals. Haven’t stayed in it for years though.

• Anna says:

We use the Hilton Doubletree, Clayton Hotel or CP, all much of a muchness and a similar distance from terminals (they all bus you over for free). Radisson is actually inside the terminal (can’t remember which one) but is much more expensive.

I always book direct but any of the main sites like hotels . com feature them.

Further off site you’ve got Holiday Inn and Marriott but for an early departure you probably want to be as near as possible.

• David D says:

Radisson and Crowne Plaza are currently closed till around the 1st August. Nearest pair open to the terminals are the Clayton Hotel and the DoubleTree.

If travelling after the 1st, my preference would be the Radisson for convenience as you walk out on to the walkways connecting the terminals and on the higher floors can have a good view of the airport.

• David D says:

Missed out on the Marriott currently being open as well, though quite a bit further away.

• Craig says:

Clayton is convenient, walkable with carry on baggage. Utterly soulless hotel though, if you wish to eat the night before I’d recommend San Carlo at the Marriott.

• Mike says:

Radisson is on the skybridge nearest T2, tends to be most expensive. Hilton and Clayton are nearest T1 and T3 but you have walk across the road (not far though), or get the shuttle buses they provide. The Hilton is the least pleasant to walk from especially is it’s been wet, the Clayton is fine. I personally tend to walk but I usually only have 1 hold luggage and 1 carry on. As I get older the shuttle bus has become more attractive especially from the Hilton.

• Rich says:

I stayed in the Doubletree a few weeks ago. It’s a bit tired, but it does the job. Easy walk to the terminals. They weren’t running the transfer buses due to Covid.

Park Stay & Go rate was barely more than 2 weeks airport parking, and double Hilton Honors.

• Aaron C says:

Stayed in the Raddison in May and it was good. Got a nice deal including parking and it’s attached to T2 (although the terminal itself is closed with all flights operating from T1). Only issue was that on the way back the entrance from the skybridge was closed so we had to go back outside through the station and across the road. The station and the bridge seem to have acquired a collection of tramps and the sheer lack of people made it feel a little unsafe even during the day.

• M says:

Prime day. Is it possible to get a discounted annual prime membership today? How/where to look?
    Thanks.

• ChrisC says:

Usual a banner headline when on the website and in your account advertising or.

Not sure if there is a discount though.

• Toby says:

I couldn’t find one yesterday. Have you tried pretending to buy something, going to checkout, and seeing what offer pops up to try prime….they can be quite generous.

• Andrew Mc says:

Not this year seemingly. Not last year either, so far as I can recall. I think those days are over.

• Boi says:

Random question. My mother has arthritis and would like to minimise use of pain killers. I was thinking of getting her a TENS machine……any recommendations of TENS machine brand or any other non pain killer things to use?
    (mainly her back and knees).
    Thanks in advance

• Number9 says:

Waste of time, she’s better off learning to live with pain killers and use them properly.
      It’s better to keep moving little and often.

• JDB says:

It’s really worth having an initial consultation with a really good complementary health specialist, ideally one who is actually a doctor. With something that is as painful and long lasting, it’s really worthwhile spending the money. She is right to try and avoid the painkillers as much as possible as they have side effects for long term use and seem to get less effective over time as well. There are lots of strategies to help, maybe including TENS, InterX, infrared etc. as well as supplements, diet, CBD etc. Sometimes you need to use a variety of things, not the same one continuously as a particular one can start to be less effective if you keep using it, so a break while you do something different can be important. Also, different people respond to different treatments in different ways. I really hope you find something suitable for your mother.

• swifty says:

Boi, JDB gave excellent answer. I have a chronic neurological condition, and I’ve found CBD flowers 18% or caps 10%, infrared and acupuncture really good. As is swimming and good painkillers. Some thinking says that treating like CFS and reducing inflammation in body is also good. Low Dose Naloxone prescribed by a private doctor is working for a friend.

• mr_jetlag says:

my comment @805 was in response to Tracy – hope you have a great time as I loved my last visit in 2015.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Amex plat – are there any problems in getting the benefits of travel insurance or car rental benefits as a supplementary card holder?
    OH will be applying as main and I’ll be getting the supplementary card.
    If I book tickets using my card, will we get the same benefits and cover?

• berneslai says:

Amex Marriott Bonvoy card – when do the addtional elite nights post? Is it a set time during the year or after activation/a particular statement date?