Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 22nd June

Comments (280)

• Yuff says:

Does anyone know if you fly into the UK and flying out the following day do you still need to buy a testing package?
    I did this in March but there was no way to put this info into the locator form, the Border Force agent let me through but another one tried to issue a fixed penalty notice for not purchasing the package until I explained I’m not here to take it.

• blenz101 says:

My understading was that you have to purchase anyway. The only way you can now avoid buying the package is to be within same day transit.

I don’t think you would be allowed to even board to the UK without proof of having purchased the required tests.

• blenz101 says:

Just to add as much as I think the rule is pure madness I can see the logic. Otherwise a very obvious loophole exists to turn up with full flex / refundable tickets within 24 hours in order to avoid purchasing the kits.

Other more competent countries have gone with tracking bracelets to ensure compliance and reduce spread. What the impact of attaching such a device to those returning from India and other high risk jurisdiction on the subcontinent earlier this year would have been we will never know.

• Sam G says:

Or a £5 ryanair ticket. I can see why they should have to insist unfortunately

• Yuff says:

Thanks Pete, I will study your link.
        Flying to Guernsey, so will make sure we have the documentation needed

• Blenz101 says:

Transit is same day. It does not mean head into the U.K., go for a meal, stay overnight then catch a flight the following day.

You can transit between airports/ports or transit same airport landslide between terminals. But this must be same day.

• Pete M says:

Did you read the government link blenz?! Why are you continuing to spout incorrect information?

• Alan S says:

For Amex Plat insurance, does the purchase (i.e. flights) have to be on the Plat card itself, or can it just be on another Amex in your name?

• Mikeact says:

I see Revolut lost over £200 million last year, more than double previously. Time to keep a close eye on them. Will they get a UK Bank licence next year ?

• TGLoyalty says:

Isn’t their licence issued in Lithuania ?

• blenz101 says:

They are also regulated under the Electronic Money Regulations. Basically your cash is protected by safeguarding.

• JDB says:

They are about to do another fund raising round, valuing the business at $20bn. Bonkers for what appears to be a non business, save a card that offers a conduit for MS.

• Anna says:

Currently in the circle of hell which is waiting for BA to answer the phone. However, surprisingly I got through on the 0191 number so hopefully it won’t cost me anything. FYI, there was a recorded message at the start saying that from July 1st the number will be 0207 949 3986. Hope this doesn’t mean all the staff in the north east are being made redundant, given the post yesterday about a BA announcement being imminent.

• Anna says:

*3086, not 3986.

• Paul says:

8 minutes yesterday morning about 10.30, on 0203 250 0145, Indian call centre I think, but moved an Avios booking easily enough. Admittedly gave up on previous 2 days after over an hour each, and no joy on twitter after 10 hours…

• Anna says:

I cancelled some flights via Twitter recently, it did take a while for them to respond (about 12 hours on average), but managed to get it done over a weekend and the refunds were pretty much instantaneous.

• Sandra B says:

That’s interesting. I called the 0191 number a few weeks ago and there was a recorded message saying it was no longer in use. Was it 246-3933? I may have to try BA in the next few days, again , and that number was a shorter wait so would be good if it had been reinstated.

• Anna says:

No, 490 7901. Got through to Warrington after an hour just as I was about to give up. Moved some flights to GIB, exactly the same amount of avios and money required, it’s ludicrous that you can’t just change it online like Ryanair and easyJet do (even when there’s a price difference).

• Memesweeper says:

Pedantically the code for London is 020, not 0203 or 0207

• Iain says:

Does anyone know when the BA Belfast City Airport Lounge is due to reopen? I think Aspire run it and I can book their own branded lounge right next door, so i assume this is open.

• Pete M says:

The old BA lounge is now run as Aspire – it is open now, I was there on Sunday. The old Aspire lounge is shut and doesn’t look like it’ll reopen (unless they perhaps join them into one – the BA one was full on Sunday afternoon).

• Simon says:

Also beware – I was there on Friday and the lady in the Aspire lounge had told me BA had emailed the night before to cancel their contract with the lounge. Unless something has changed since then you no longer have access to the lounge based on BA status / class of travel.

• Algor says:

Could anyone traveling between Ireland or Norther Ireland and London confirm If there are any restrictions / tests required?

Government website indicate free movement within CTA.

‘Travelling from England
    Across the different parts of the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), there may be rules in place that restrict travel from England. You do not need a reasonable excuse to leave England to travel to other parts of the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland. You should check the restrictions in place where you intend to travel to before making arrangements to travel.

Travelling to or from Northern Ireland
    There are no restrictions in place for travel into or out of Northern Ireland as long as you are travelling within the UK or wider Common Travel Area (the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man). Across the different parts of the Common Travel Area, there may be rules in place that restrict travel from Northern Ireland. You do not need a reasonable excuse to leave Northern Ireland to travel to other parts of the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland. You should check the restrictions in place where you intend to travel to before making arrangements to travel. This guidance provides advice on travelling to and from Northern Ireland, which includes requirements on taking a rapid lateral flow test if staying overnight.’

Then on the NI website

‘Travelling to NI from within the Common Travel Area
    If you’re travelling from within the Common Travel Area (CTA) and staying overnight in Northern Ireland, you should take a rapid lateral flow device test (LFD) before you begin your journey.

You should only travel if the test is negative.

You should also take an LFD test on days two and eight of your stay.

You should not travel to Northern Ireland if you have COVID-19 symptoms, or have received a positive COVID-19 result.

You do not need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form if you’re travelling from within the CTA and you have not been outside the CTA in the last 10 days.’

• Algor says:

Any tests apart from LFD which pack of 7 can be ordered anytime and delivered in 24h to your home for free.

• John Caribbean says:

You don’t need to do anything to fly into the North.
        Flying into Dublin from England has, or is rumoured to be getting (I can’t remember) quarantine requirements.
        You can drive across the border without issue

• John says:

You currently must self-quarantine for 14 days after entering ROI from GB, but you can test to release at day 5. This also applies when entering ROI from NI if you have been outside NI/ROI for the past 14 days.

• JG says:

There are no formal checks on what tests you have taken or take when entering NI from GB. But I followed NI government guidance when visiting last month and self-administered LFD tests. As Algor mentions these are freely available to order in GB, I was offered a pack at my first jab.

• JG says:

Just to add Republic of Ireland has much stronger regulations, best check the Irish govt website for current requirements.

• Algor says:

I’m planning on taking the train from Belfast to Dublin, meeting with some friends for few days and then traveling within EU (EU passport holder). After 3 weeks I plan on flying back to Dublin, taking train to Belfast and then home.

Since mid October haven’t been on a plane and with vaccination rollout success I feel morally ok to do the ‘Dublin dodge’.

• Pete M says:

Queue moral outrage from certain people on this forum 🙂

• Memesweeper says:

as long as home is in NI that’s fine

• Colin says:

As a dual national living in NI, I did exactly this a couple of weeks back with my Irish passport, thinking that I`d be getting off light with just a PCR test needed for arrival back at DUB. HOWEVER, it seems the ROI & NI authorities are sharing PLF information as I got a visit from the PSNI to make sure I was quarantining …. so you might think its a dodge but they are obviously well aware and checking.

• Marie says:

Any inside info about which countries may be added to green list on Thursday ?
    Holiday to Canaries booked for early July? Thanks

• berneslai says:

Vanaatu, Ascension Island and the Marshall Islands probably.

There are some Twitter rumblings about Poland, Cyprus and Malta but I wouldn’t put much stock in the sources.