Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 22nd June

Comments (280)

• HH says:

Just got this email from LHW: “ Starting today, we are saying hello to more travel, and goodbye to Leaders Club fees. That means you can continue to take advantage of the membership benefits you love, without the USD 175 annual cost.”

• TJ says:

+1 It’s quite a decent package of benefits provided that they continue to offer the 20% reduction on published rates. I just completed a discounted night at the Marbella Beach Club (plus made use of the LHW Amex offer) and was upgraded to a huge suite and treated incredibly well as a LHW member. Following this stay, I have now received a guaranteed one-category upgrade voucher which I plan to use at The Grove. Emyr can also offer most of the listed benefits but, when I last checked, could not offer the 20% discount nor the Leaders Club points.

• HBommie says:

+2 will be worthwhile when things open up more.

• MM says:

Hi All, I have to go to Copenhagen next week for work. Cant figure out;
    1- What is the actual situation for pre flight testing? I am assuming required to be on the safe side
    2- I am double jabbed so hopefully Test on arrival and quarantine not required as they recognise OECD jabs approved by EMA.
    3- Will have a letter of invitation to show worthy purpose. Am I missing anything? thanks

• Laura says:

Thanks for the house help yesterday, sadly I was outbid by an investor.

Back to house hunting 🙁

• Memesweeper says:

😔

• AJA says:

🙁 Keep searching, You will buy eventually.

• Toby says:

Oh no. Bad luck. We’ve had a few similar experiences and our solicitor told us to not lose hope as something better would come along. I was somewhat miffed at the advice, but she turned out to be on the money! The main thing we found worked was befriending as many estate agents as possible in the target area and in the end they tell you all the info you need about what to bid, and give you heads up of good things coming on.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

The estate agents don’t work in your best interest, something good to remeber as well

• Jonathan says:

Bad luck. If you don’t mind me asking where are you looking?

Worth considering how the investors are running the numbers before you bid. The days of the amateur BTL investor are numbered due to changes in mortgage interest relief & CGT so you’ll generally be up against hardheaded pros.

Find out (from agents) what yield applies in the area (eg. Zone 2/3 London will be 4% at the moment. If you can bid at a level that drops rental yield to eg. 3.8% then you’ll probably win.

Equally if you’re a couple taking first step then a 1 1/2 bed (fine for study or nursery but not a double bed) will work for you but not an investor.

If it’s a house & sellers are an old couple downsizing then play the game of it’s our forever home & you love the avocado bathroom suite. Most people would prefer to sell their pride & joy/memories to people they like rather than someone who’s going to turn it into an HMO!

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Something I noticed is on rightmove etc. All the houses have virtual tour videos usually hosted on YouTube. Meaning you can see the publication date and deduce how long it’s been on the market for… the longer its been, the more likely they are to accept a lower price

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Although note: usually its been on for a while. Normally a bit of a fixing needed or too high a price

• Rob says:

There is a Chrome browser extension which shows you the previous prices of rightmove listings.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Ooooo, that’s interesting. Combine that with the previous sales history at the bottom of the page and my suggestion, you’ve got a very good picture of the situation

• r* says:

Does the nhs app show covid pass only when its been over 2 weeks since the second vaccination or should it show something after one dose?

• Nick Burch says:

It shows your vaccination details within 2 days of your first jab, including the QR Code!

• Rob says:

You will see that you had your first vaccination.

• DK says:

Considering Crete for next year.
    What people think of Domes Zeen?

• Rob says:

Sinead went and was very positive but her baby turned up before she could write it up 🙂

Someone at Domes will be after us for that because they comped the stay ….

• meta says:

I had a brilliant stay last year. If you have Platinum or above you’ll be treated very well. My only advice is that unless you’re going in the middle of summer, don’t bother with rooms with private pools as they are not heated. The pool was colder than the sea when we went in October. They might have started heating them as I kept mentioning it to the staff who promised to speak to the management. I am planning to go back at some point and I rarely go to the same resort twice! I would also get at least half-board as the menu is exquisite.

• DK says:

Thanks Rob
          @meta thank you and I totally agree with your point on private pools. We stayed at Westin Costa Navarino last October and I heard a number of complaints from people regarding cold private pools. I was perfectly happy to swim in the sea

• George K says:

Just back from both the Westin and the Romanos – only had a private pool at the latter, but I can confirm that it was warmer than both the sea and the aqua park public one. (but all options warm enough in general..)

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Got LNER to extend an expired delay repay voucher. Phone operator made me aware that after end of June no more extensions will be offered. 6 month extension for all expired or nearly expired vouchers allowed are allowed in there policy, just have to ring them up.

Another interesting comment: all admin fees for train tickets are suspended until the end of the year, so if my voucher due to expire in September (not eligible for extension) is about to run out, I can book a route I know I need and change it for free later on in the year

• Dave says:

A couple of months ago I had an already extended RTV about to expire. Phoned Scotrail (who initially issued the RTV) and they transferred the amount (£12) straight into my bank account.

• MKB says:

Is the admin fee waiver just when LNER is the retailer, or industry wide?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

The person seemed to think industry wide, dictated by DfT

• TomG says:

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for Seattle? Going next year for the first time and nothing jumps out. Will be paying cash. Up to £500 a night.

• Degsy says:

We’re due to stay at The Edgewater (on the waterfront) this August, booked through Virgin Holidays. No first hand experience and like you have gone based on recommendations (which all seemed very positive). Was well within your budget.
      Like I say *due* to – i suspect I’ll be cancelling in the next 2-3 weeks

• Reney says:

I loved the Westin when I stayed in 2017. Got an amazing upgrade, I think I was gold SPG back in the days when it was SPG.

• Anna says:

Scotland’s restrictions extended until August 9th – isn’t that their school holidays scuppered then?!

• BuildBackBetter says:

Deaths up. But who cares!

• GS13 disciple says:

Not really, having been there myself recently, they can still enjoy most of the great things Scotland has to offer before August 9th

• TGLoyalty says:

Actually its a date for lifting nearly all restriction which previously wasn’t on the table.

Move to Level 0 has only gone back 3 weeks to July 19th

• Sandra says:

We were up there last week staying with friends on the west coast and, apart from the cooler weather, it was the same as being in England. Everything was open and it was busy with tourists. We did look at booking a cottage for all of us later in summer but everything is mostly booked up or what’s left is a ridiculous price.