Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 22nd June

Comments (280)

• N says:

Hey guys, Business Platinum card member here. I signed up for the 100k bonus back in April – to hit that bonus, I need to hit £10k spend by the first week of July. I’m up to £9k, which leaves me needing to spend £1k in 2 weeks! I’ve maxxed out on buying things I ‘need’. Annoyingly there are a couple of things I need to buy that don’t accept Amex

I need to transfer money to a small business, and I’m wondering if I can somehow do this on my Amex card via PayPal. Unfortunately there’s no online checkout for me to do this through. I’ve been looking for ways to do this on my PayPal account but am a bit lost. Any thoughts?

Also, is it a good idea to just buy a whole load of gift cards from places I shop at? Or is there a risk of Amex coming down hard on me for that?

Thanks!

• AJA says:

You could try Billhop but there is a fee for using the service

• Ken says:

Billhop clearly not with the fee in normal circumstances…. But £25 to get over the line and get 100k points. No brainer if no other route

• N says:

Definitely agree – seems like Billhop is the way to go. i haven’t used it before but makes sense in this situation. thanks!

• N says:

Hello fellow ‘N’,

I think giftcards are your best bet if you can afford it. Amex can’t see what you’re buying, so go to your favourite supermarket and loads up on giftcards.

Have you tried front-loading your council tax? If you can pay by paypoint, take the barcode to your local coop and put as much as want to on the account that way. Similarly gas/water/elec.

• Sam says:

Amazon gift cards are prob a good bet too and seem more like a genuine business spend

• Russ says:

Buy fully refundable ticket as far ahead as possible then cancel nearer to the date?

• TGLoyalty says:

careful unless you close the card before the refund the bonus would be lost as soon as the refund is processed.

• Gareth says:

Quick one- Amex car hire excess cover- have to book and pay with Plat card? Thanks

• Keely says:

Evening all . Called Amex as bonus nectar points not posted despite spend reached 3 weeks ago. Agent said can take up to 8 weeks ..,? Anyone else waited that long …? (Didn’t trust agent as she initially said husband wasn’t entitled as already has personal Amex. He doesn’t , he has supp on mine) .

• KBuffett says:

I’m looking to buy some designer/branded glasses online. Any thoughts on whether I should buy frame only and get the lenses put in at a bricks and mortar optician?
    Also, what are the thoughts on paying using Amex or Paypal for best protection?

• Andrew says:

There was a David Clulow offer on Amex, not sure if it’s ended now.

• KBuffett says:

Thanks Andrew. Optician’s operate on huge margins for frames and lenses. The online players are far cheaper than the £20 discount offered by David Clulow (who incidentally run the sunglasses and opticians in all major department stores).

• Genghis says:

The designer frames cost the opticians between £6 and £8 a pop. Huge margins indeed.

• Richie says:

How would the online supplier get your pupiliary distances correct? Use chain opticians for showrooming and seeing how low they can go on price. In London’s law district there’s independant City Opticians on Chancery Lane where you’ll get great service snd they also have a workshop in their basement.

• SteveJ says:

PD very easy to measure, most online sellers can measure using the simple “card under the nose for perspective” method. Works well.

OP try fashion eyewear.

• KBuffett says:

Thanks. Specsavers have a PD measurement function that works on smartphone and laptop. Amazing!!

• Sarah says:

I buy my frames online from Tortoise and Black. I find their customer service excellent. I then purchase my lenses from Specsavers at £39 per pair and they fit them and adjust the frames if needed.

• Jim says:

Any cards work good with Che?

• ash says:

Anyone know if the delta Cheltenham does free breakfast for plats? Any lounge

• Karl says:

Yes decent breakfast. No lounge AFAIK. We got a nice upgrade as Plat into a lovely split-level suite.

• KBuffett says:

I think this season the first time that I haven’t triggered a single shop small credit across 6 cards!

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Not even my local post office or Indian has triggered it this year. They’ve truly killed shop small