Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 23rd June

Comments (413)

• David says:

A question for friends of Ernie
    How can you double dip using the creatives, bendy and the Far East route? It seems the only route to repay the latter is via a bank transfer. Apologies for everyone else!

• Jonathan says:

Don’t bother including the orientals in your merry go round. Rewards not worth the risks

• David says:

@Jonathan can you suggest an alternative route? I’m quite happy with Ernie and (our friends in Bristol) but can’t click how the merry go round works past one stop! Again sorry for anyone not following, or interested in this stuff!

• Rui N. says:

I need to drive into Earls Court some time next week for a short time (likely less than one hour, after lunch). What can I do about parking? Is street parking available? If so, where? Cheers

• Richster says:

I use JustPark for things like thise – there are lots of people with unused driveways or parking bays. There are bargains to be had 🙂

• pauldb says:

Parkopedia will show you the street parking options.

• TGLoyalty says:

Check out AppyParking

• N says:

Park in the big tesco

• TheInsiderFly says:

• Rui N. says:

Thank you, that’s a very good suggestion, less than 10min way walking from where I need to be!
        Thank you all for the suggestions. I thought of the parking apps, but since I don’t know exactly when I’ll be there, that’s more difficult to use (unless I book for the entire afternoon).

• Lady London says:

If you’re quick and buy something you could chance leaving it at the Sainsbury’s on the A4 nearby? Otherwise there are paying onstreet spaces in the roads off Earls Ct Rd and on the squares these will lead to – allow a bit of extra time to find and in case you need to walk a bit further from what you find.

• James says:

Does anyone know when the ability to buy Radisson points will be back? There’s currently no timeline on their FAQs

• Paul Pogba says:

You could buy them by proxy if you buy Amex MR and transfer. Not ideal but if you need to make a booking.

• James says:

Likelihood of any news additions to the Green List? I’m assuming there’ll be none at are reachable.

• Phil W says:

I think Poland might go on for two reasons, (1) Workers – we need them, and (2) My wife is Polish has had argument with her parents and probably would prefer to not travel to Poland, so sods law says it’ll be the only place we can go!

• meta says:

Poland just introduced quarantine for non-vaccinated UK arrivals…

• Sukes says:

The Mail published last night:

‘ scientists have advised ministers that the Balearic Islands off the coast of Spain are now safe to be given green status.

If agreed, British holidaymakers could travel to Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca and Formentera without the need to quarantine on return.

Malta, which was approved by scientists but controversially rejected by ministers last month, is also expected to be added.

They would be the first mainstream holiday destinations on the list since the controversial removal of Portugal last month.

However, mainland Spain will remain on the amber list, meaning that travel is advised against, and quarantine is required on return.’

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Bet you all the ones except Ibiza will be accepted, just to wind up young people wanting to go clubbing

• Graeme says:

A question I feel I should know the answer to, but have never needed to know:

A friend has racked up well over £10k spend on his BA Blue. If he uprades to the BAPP now, does this still automatically trigger the 241 (with two year validity)? I’m sure it used to, but I’ve never gone that way.

Thanks!

• Vit says:

Based on my personal experience and (from what I’ve read here), annoyingly, upon upgraded to BAPP, the 241 will be triggered straightaway but with 12 months validity (not sure if it is going to be 12 + 6 months now though). It is a faff getting both AMEX and BA to rectify it. Lesson learned: upgrade before reaching £10k spend.

• Jonathan says:

It will immediately generate the 241but it will quite possibly only have a 12 month expiry. This will be changed to 24 months if you call Amex.

• Graeme says:

Thanks both, that’s great – I’ll let him know.

• Vit says:

Hello all, quite a random post but with the knowledge of HfPers, I think it might give us some helpful thoughts.

We have a very good friend who is getting married in Kentucky in November. He has been to both of wedding in Thailand and Cambodia and visited us while we are in Scotland as well as England. So we feel it is a must we have to be there during his big day. I know it is still a long way to go during covid-age but we are thinking of flying into Mexico for 14 days for holidays and then make our way up to the US. I have no problem with 4-6 weeks annual leave. Just wondering if anyone has done this route at the moment and encountered any problems– of course assuming no travelers from the UK allowed in the US by end of 2021.

• Alex says:

I think by November, travel directly into the US and back shouldn’t be an issue. Especially if you’re both fully vaccinated 2 weeks before travelling which I’m sure you are.
      However travelling into Mexico and then up is very easy from friends I’ve spoken to about it.

• Vit says:

Thanks both. I will do some more researches. At least for now, it seems possible which is a good sign. Hopefully we don’t have to do such “route” but maybe not a bad idea at all for stop by in Mexico as we’ve never been. 🙂

• Brian says:

I got married in Kentucky 🙂 are they getting married in Louisville?
      Despite SDF calling itself international, they don’t have any passport or custom facilities so they can only accept international arrives from Canadian airports with pre-clearance.
      You should be able to connect easily enough thru Dallas or Atlanta. And being November at least less thunderstorms which delay a lot of regional jets in the midwest in summer.

• Vit says:

Hi Brian, they are getting married in Lexington (Uni of Kentucky grads). I know him and his family from spending 3 years in Arkansas actually. Thanks for the head up regarding possible travel problem. I’ve done quite a bit of road trip back in the US 10 years ago but will need to brush up my knowledge this time as my partner has never been and want to spend a bit of time road trip and travelling.

• Jonathan says:

Is there any way of extending the life of my Hilton Honors points without staying in a Hilton linked hotel . Mine are due to expire shortly and I haven’t used any for some time .

• Alex says:

Morning all. Can you use your Economist subscription app on two different devices? Will this get flagged somehow?

• Rhys says:

Doubt it – surely lots of people have multiple personal devices and may want to use their log in on an iPhone and an iPad?

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes you can. I share mine with a friend who lives on a different continent 🙂

• GeorgeJ says:

Have mine on Mac and Android, no issues.