Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 23rd June

Comments (413)

• GJB says:

Does anyone have a phone number that I could use to speak to Virgin about a refund for my rescheduled flight? I’ve tried on different days now but keep giving up after 30 minutes on hold.

The main reason I want to speak is to see if they want to do an offer for a voucher instead of refund.

They won’t talk to me via whatsapp as my cancelled flight is more than 7 days from now.

• Tom1 says:

I’ve contacted them several times via WhatsApp despite flights being 7+ days forward. Response usually next day to get the first interaction, but after that quite responsive and helpful

• Tom1 says:

If you need to call, this is the number I use 0344 412 2414.

• Jane says:

so we know if BA does WhatsApp ? I need to call them to get them to ticket some flights booked last summer where the return flight is still not showing ticket numbers.

• Jane says:

sorry… do we know if….

• Sam G says:

try Twitter DM

• Anna says:

+1 for Twitter, they might take a few hours to get back to you but it definitely works.

• Jane says:

I was hoping to avoid that, no idea how it works but I’m sure I can probably work it out.

• Anna says:

I don’t do Twitter but my OH fortunately has an account. You could use someone else’s as long as you can access the responses as they ask you for all the security details before they do anything,

• Jane says:

I remembered my OH has an account that was set up for a competition or something many years ago so I have manged to message them. Hopefully it won’t take long to sort. I suspect the flights will still be cancelled (USA August) or we won’t be able to get insurance but if we haven’t got tickets we definitely can’t go.

• Jonathan says:

Why do you want them ticketed now? They operate a queuing system for the ticketing team that prioritises tasks based on proximity to the flight rather than time it’s been in queue. It’s not uncommon for preticketing to only be done in the fortnight pre departure & I wouldn’t bother chasing until the T-10 stage.

There’s a potential advantage to you in leaving it later as well. If it’s reticketed now & then flight cancelled you’ll probably only be able to get a rebooking till June 2022 whereas if it’s done in July/August then school summer holidays 2022 will be available.

(There’s a debate about the legality of restricting rebooking within 365 days of ticketing but if there’s an easy option to avoid the small claims/CEDR battle then i’d take it).

• Jane says:

The outbound were ticketed in August last year (inbound added on later) so I had assumed that would be the limiting factor in the re-booking but would be happy to be proved wrong on that one. I wanted to get them done early as I remember reading something on this site about someone having to try to get them done whilst trying to check in for their flight at the airport as they hadn’t released it wasn’t ticketed and that is stress I can do without ! I guess I could have waited till early August but I didn’t trust BA to do it quickly so I’m starting now in the hope it’ll only take a few weeks as it took 3 months and 5 or 6 calls then Amex claim to get a refund for a flight earlier this year.

• Charlie says:

Anyone think it’s a stupid idea to book a holiday to Egypt in November? Currently red listed but got a good deal and used the easyjet amex offer…

• Anna says:

Everything is still so uncertain I think the only rule just now is make sure anything you book is refundable! The problem with the likes of easyJet and Ryanair is that they only offer changes unless they cancel the flight so you can’t guarantee what the prices of re-booked flights will be. Having said that, I have found them both a lot easier to get refunds from than BA in the past year!

• Charlie says:

Easyjet seem to do a free cancellation upto 28days before you travel at the moment, seems super easy unless I’m missing something in the terms…..? Anybody any wiser on the easyjet stuff….

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Yes, Eygpt is likely desperate for tourists. Meaning relaxed rules which I think will work against you. Eygpt will probably end up with the Delta Plus variant (Nepalese / mutated Indian variant) due to the lax rules. The government show little logic in what goes in what list. So who knows how that could play out, could be the next Portugal saga

• BJ says:

Never a stupid idea to visit Egypt, fabulous country. One of the few absolutely worth the current hassles IMO.

• Chris H says:

If I make a booking without hotel status, and then I gain hotel status at a later date prior to the booking date – am I granted any benefits on check-in, or do I have to make the booking whilst status is active?

• Optimus Prime says:

You should be fine, just mention it upon check-in

• BuildBackBetter says:

You’ll be granted benefits. But try to get the status atleast a month before your stay so that systems are updated. Some hotels might upgrade you closer to your stay.

• meta says:

You get status benefits on check-in. I’d contact the hotel a week before to make sure they refresh the booking reminding them of status, so no hassle on check-in.

• Anna says:

My nephew is hopefully coming on holiday with us this summer and caught Covid at school last month! Fortunately his only symptom was temporary loss of smell. Would it show on the NHS app if he downloaded it (he’s 15 so old enough), or is it a case of hoping his GP will write him a letter for £20 or something?!

• Anna says:

Just to clarify, we don’t intend to try & bribe the GP, I just remember last time I needed a GP letter it was about £15/20 😂

• Optimus Prime says:

Check that his GP has given access to his records to the app. Ours hasn’t and won’t.

• bsuije says:

May be a silly questions, but would the GP know that he had Covid? I had it last year and GP is none the wiser because I didn’t tell them & testing wasn’t an option back then…

• Optimus Prime says:

From Sky News: “Coronavirus travel regulations have been amended to state that individuals with a “Euro 2020 invite” will not have to self-isolate or quarantine in a hotel on arrival in the UK when entering the country to attend one of the matches.”

Football and MP’s holidays. This government’s priorities are clear…

• Pete M says:

Yet people (including on this forum) will still still go crazy if you suggest that the government’s rules are mostly made up as we go to suit the focus-group flavour of the month and a more liberal interpretation of them is basically akin to murder…

• BJ says:

And here was me thinking they were so bad you couldn’t even make them up.

• Lady London says:

unbelievable.

• SteveJ says:

Wimbledon championship : Hive mind query

Advanced car parking sold out, but appears you can just turn up and pay on the day? And Siddique hasn’t put Wimbledon into the congestion zone yet has he?

• N says:

Sadiq Khan, you mean?

No, TfL has not put Wimbledon in the Congestion Charge zone.

• SteveJ says:

Thanks!

• Jonathan says:

It’ll be in the ULEZ zone next year though…

• WaynedP says:

Don’t think so, unless you’re predicting a further shift outwards within 15 months of the 25 October 2021 ULEZ extension.

This October’s extension excludes Wandsworth, which is still comfortably north-east of Wimbledon. So Wimbledon escapes, at least for this year.

But if you do have special insight into including Wimbledon in 2022, pray tell.

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

Interesting to read about Twitter DM to change/book flights. Have I misunderstood as cannot see how DM would work for this?

• Sam G says:

works well for anything that doesn’t need you to pay- so rebooking cancelled flights, getting a refund etc. They can also arrange to call you back if you need to give CC details which might be more convenient than staying on hold

• Mark says:

Avis emailing / WhatsApp asking to pre-check in. Should I do that? I am Avis President Club so hoping for an upgrade at the Inverness airport!