Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 23rd June

Comments (413)

• Karl says:

Is there an easy way (ie. not phoning) of finding out when your Virgin Credit Card spend year starts/finishes?

• Gary says:

Annual spending/charges summary if you receive paper statements. On the app, going through monthly statements where annual fee is charged (appears at v bottom) – period end date of that statement + 1 day marks new spend year

• Kevin says:

Does anyone experience whether Amex Regent street offer can be accumulating via different shops or must be from one shop to qualify.

• mr_jetlag says:

cumulative across shops (only Regent street branches of those brands though)

• Kevin says:

Glad to hear that as got several things to buy across few shops that hope to trigger the offer over 2 Amex cards.

• Munch says:

Does anyone know how long the 10,000 nectar points take to post following the £400 spend at Sainsbury using the Sainsbury Credit card. I’ve just completed the spend and the statement has posted, not sure when the bonus posts?

• Keely says:

I’m waiting on this from mid May . Previous posters have said 4 months

• BJ says:

No, that’s not right. I’ve opened accounts at least three times and always got the bonus within 1-2 weeks after hitting the spend target. Same fir indurance spend although T&C for those does state within 60 days of 5th monthly payment. I suggest chasing up after three weeks.

• Degsy says:

I can’t recall exactly but I think I waited a couple of months. It wasn’t immediate but not overly long and consistent with the Ts&Cs I think

• Paasan69 says:

Took out the Sainsbury’s Nectar card in late February. Completed £400 spend at Argos mid-April. 10k bonus posted May 8th.

• IanM says:

That’s about right

• Tim says:

Has anyone applied for the credit card without having had a nectar card for six months and still got the bonus? I got the bonus on my wife’s card a few weeks after hitting the spend and then took got a nectar card in my name but its only been 3 months.

Also can anyone guess how long you have to wait to churn the card to be eligible for the sign up bonus? When I checked the T&C didn’t specify unlike Amex.

• BJ says:

I did mine once a year without issues but IIRC somebody posted they got away with 3 months. Personally I would not risk less than 6 months myself.

• BJ says:

Should add that I am now tempted to consider tge card a keeper given the BAEC partnership. They sometimes also provide a few thousand bonus points for target spend, presumably as incentives on little-used or inactive cards.

• Anna says:

Someone was asking about hotels at MAN the other day – I called the Doubletree about our booking this summer and they mentioned that the shuttle buses aren’t currently running so it’s a £10 taxi ride or 10(ish) minute walk to the terminals.

• Dave says:

I would walk. Always have

• Anna says:

Depends how much luggage you have!

• Dave says:

Travel light. And with wheels

• Tarmohamed says:

I struggle to get from HGI LHR T2 to the terminal considering the wife loves testing the baggage limit. Usually 120kg and she’ll pack 125kg

• Yuff says:

You’ve already admitted, today, you travel light before hitting the mercadona for toiletries 🤣🤣🤣

• Anna says:

Only when flying with LCCs with their puny baggage allowances. When we’re on BA we look like we’re emigrating!

• Anna says:

Also forgot to mention, breakfast is still included for all guests (I checked as this was the case before it was a DoubleTree) – if your flight’s not too early it’s better than what you’ll get in any of the lounges, even when they’re open (especially compared to the rock hard BA toast and muesli which could have been in that jar for years!

• Lady London says:

That’s because his wife grabbed the entire luggage allowance for the 2 of them 🙂

• Muhammad Abdullah says:

LHR-ABZ CE upgrade showing £59 in MMB but I think airport upgrades are £49 on this route? Is £49 only EDI/GLA?

• IanM says:

It is what it is. £59 normal.

• Muhammad Abdullah says:

Think I’ll wait and see if an airport upgrade is offered then

• Ikaz says:

There is no standard price for the upgrade, I have found that it was the same price on MMB and at the airport for GLA-LHR (mostly £59 actually, from Economy basic or economy plus)

• Sukes says:

Sounds like it is standardised, BHD-LHR MMB upgrade is always £59 too.

• Mark1 says:

Any ‘rumour’ of when Switzerland might let people fly in from the UK (non-UK citizen myself but live here) without having to quarantine?

• Andy says:

I’d read a story that said they might announce the change end of June. So have booked flights for August

• Mighty Hunter says:

Hopefully off to Punta Cana at the end of November, never been before (normally go to St Lucia when we’re in that part of the world). It’s a rebooked J 2 for 1 from the half-price sale last year, so excellent value.
    It’s difficult to know where to stay – we much prefer adults-only, and as far as activities go, wife likes to do nothing, I might do a bit of single-sailing, but that’s about it. A nice warm pool with loads of comfy sunbeds, good for swimming is a must, as is breakfast until 11am (we’re normally near last!)
    We also prefer a shortish taxi-ride to the hotel from the airport, and not fussed about eating away from the hotel – I understand there’s not much there anyway. We have been known to drink our fair share so all- inclusive a good option!
    Bit confused by the usual reviews , so any advice from the similarly-minded would be very welcome!

• Mark says:

Hard Rock was great also stayed at Excellence resorts which was lovely

• Anna says:

I think the Hilton La Romana is AI and has an adults-only section. If you’re an HH member it looks like a great use of points.

• David D says:

Been to the Paradisus Palma Real part of Melia twice, really good dine around and plenty of drinks options, free golf as well. Pay for the Reserve rooms and you have access to the lounge and an exclusive restaurant for adults only. Plus, an adult only pool, beach area and exclusive bar next to said pool. With gold on Melia Rewards via the Amex Platinum you could use a 20% off voucher too. Currently, booked in for November but depends on the restrictions by then. Lastly, cancellation is within 7 days of arrival for direct bookings at present on semi flexible rates.

• Zoe P says:

I am going to Excellence El Carmen next week, big fan of that brand.

• Princess says:

Info for people in London: the Wembley vaccination centre seem to do all day walk in jab today. I was told from a collegue that they had an error in their system and they are without appointments. I’ve just sent my husband 🙂