Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 23rd June

Comments (413)

• Jamie says:

It has now been a year since I had the classic AMEX MR card. Do you think I will get the bonus if I apply for Gold one now?

• Jonathan says:

No in a word. <1% chance if i was putting a figure on it.

• Luke says:

I just opened an AMEX card after holding one last year – registered for the app yesterday, it’s not showing any signs of the icon that usually tells you how much more until you get the bonus, so I’d say zero.

• Aston100 says:

Not read previous posts today so apologies if already discussed.
    Am staying at an Indigo.
    Noticed the £50 off £200 spend at IHG this morning on two Amex cards.
    These are not the cards on file with the hotel.
    Quickly rushed to pay (before checkout later this week) in case they bill the previous card.
    They agreed to take payment across two cards.
    As an additional bonus, triggered two shop small promos.
    Completely unexpected £110 worth of statement credits.

Am pleased.

• mr_jetlag says:

Pleased for you, result

• Aston100 says:

I don’t understand why an Indigo / IHG hotel would trigger shop small.

I guess this makes up for Rudy’s Pizza in Liverpool the other week. They are on the shop small map but their machines reject Amex.

• Andrew says:

Voco St David’s was on Shop Small a couple of years ago too which was an unexpected £5 bonus when I came to settle my bill at checkout.

• Rob says:

The Sunborn in Gibraltar was on Shop Small – as was the cable car.

• Ikaz says:

Rudys in Liverpool paid out small shop last year, they might have changed something

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Nice! I managed to trigger my first ship small today, go us Hahaha 🤣

• Sandra says:

Does anyone know when using 2 x 241 do you all have to return together as well as flying out together? Am thinking of booking for us and the 2 adult children, who describe themselves as poverty stricken students, for next year. Me and OH could stay longer if we wanted to and they fly back sooner but not sure if you have to do both ways together on a 241 or if just the outbound suffices?

• Jonathan says:

Must be same flights, cabin & booking reference unfortunately.

• Sandra says:

And just realised, no I can’t do it as it will have to go on one booking as my 241s so silly question!

• Lady London says:

Why not split into 2 bookings? You and OH on one, penniless students together on the other.

• Sandra says:

Would I still be able to use 2 x 241s on separate bookings though Lady London or do you mean 1 x 241 and other as a separate cash booking?

• Tom says:

I know this will have been covered many times before so I apologise in advance! Can I use a FTV to pay the taxes element of an Avios booking (original booking was not an avios booking if that makes a difference).

• Eyeball Paul says:

Looking like iBEEFA is going green tomorrow.

• Anna says:

Hoping that Tenereefy (as Bet Lynch used to say) is as well, or at least that quarantine will be dropped for the jabbed!

• Richie says:

Any news about Crowaysha?

• stevenhp1987 says:

I’m wondering when the list will come into effect… In Malta atm and wondering if it will be green when we return!

• Mr. AC says:

I have 19850 Miles and More miles expiring June 30th. Heathrow Rewards still down so can’t get them out this way. No upcoming travel plans to Europe apart from Portugal mid-July. Any way to use Miles and More miles with TAP? Tried to poke around but couldn’t figure it out.

• BJ says:

Similar situation, I can do nothing with them and they have ignored all my efforts to contact them over the last 6 months.

• Rob says:

TAP redemptions are via the Star Alliance reward chart they have. M&M is pretty good at letting you redeem online, the bulk of partners are now integrated.

• Mr. AC says:

I tried TAP, but either there’s 0 availability every day forever, or TAP is not integrated… London Lisbon and Porto have multiple flights per day with TAP in July and August, but M&M is only showing Lufty and Swiss flights via Germany or Switzerland.
          Rob, do you think calling up M&M to book is a possibility?

• BJ says:

How can we call M&M, I cannot even find a number? I would be happy just to redeem for a gjftcard but that does not work for me despite appearing to do so for others.

• Rob says:

Try, say, United’s website. If they can see TAP then LH will be able to book it via phone.

• Rich says:

Just had an email from Curve – asking me to declare whether I’m using my card for business (and show proof) or personal (in which case they’ll send me a new card.

Any gotchas here?

• J says:

I received the same. Not keen to send off business proof they want, also don’t want my card shutdown in 10 days. Seems easiest to tell a half lie and say it’s personal. Any reason not to?

• HH says:

Switzerland just announced that from this Saturday 26 June, UK arrivals who have been vaccinated or who have recovered from covid will be allowed to enter without having to be tested or to quarantine (a major reversal of the current 10 day quarantine required). I’ve booked flights to both ZRH and BSL in the hope that BA won’t cancel at least one of them…

• KBuffett says:

But you need to quarantine on your return?

• Rich says:

Double-jabbed will be exempt at some point. Not yet, but possibly from 19 July.

• stevenhp1987 says:

If you work from home, who cares?

• HH says:

Exactly. I’m not phased by UK at-home quarantine, the limiting factor so far has been who will let us in without quarantining AND isn’t on our own red list.