Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 23rd June

Comments (413)

• @mkcol says:

With Singapore Airlines starting a Copenhagen-Rome 5th freedom route, are there any interesting points earning opportunities here?

• Andrew says:

Virgin Flying Club?

• meta says:

No, but you could now presumably try Singapore F on the cheap.

• meta says:

Just saw it’s on A350, so only J.

• @mkcol says:

It’s an A350 – no First 🙁

• BJ says:

No big deal, SQ has always been overated anyway. Business cabins on a380 felt impressive though when the plane was first launched. Within Asia ai had issues nearly every time I flew SQ, it was always something.

• @mkcol says:

Hilton opening a Curio this summer (well, rebranding) & Conrad (next summer apparently) in Sardinia.

Somewhere I’ve never been but really rather fancy, unlike the rest of Italy.

• Muhammad Abdullah says:

The Curio Porto is already open

• meta says:

It’s overlooks my favourite beache in Europe, Sa Colonia. It’s really beautiful with the tower. Three years ago my partner and I decided to do the cheapest possible holiday on points as we had an expiring extra 241 voucher. Booked 10 nights at HI Cagliari (by the airport) for 10k points a night (earned for free from my partner’s work travels), rented a car and never really stayed in the room apart from sleeping. It was one of the best trips ever. We’ll be going back for sure now in a bit more of a luxury.

• @mkcol says:

I’m sold! Now just to sell it to my hubby, which won’t be tough.

• @mkcol says:

That’s a totally different country, so I’m not sure the connection to this Sardinian opening.

• meta says:

Cagliari is the main airport for South of Sardinia.

• Muhammad Abdullah says:

If you’d check, the Curio is called PORTO Rotondo. Look closer next time

• meta says:

Seems like my comment was removed as somebody posted something inappropriate after me.

Just to repeat it for posterity. The new Curio and Conrad are on one of my favourite beaches in Europe. It’s just really beautiful with the tower and white sand. Three years ago, my partner and I decided to do the cheapest possible holiday as had the expiring 241 voucher. We stayed 10 nights at HI Cagliari near the airport for 10k points at the time. We rented a car and drove around and it was one of the best trips we’ve done. There is so much to see – from prehistoric ruins (nuraghi), small cities to sandy, mostly white, beaches.

We’re now thinking going again, now staying in bit more luxury.

• @mkcol says:

My humble apologies that I didn’t have the psychic ability to know that you had truncated the full name of the property from The Local Porto Rotondo, Curio Collection by Hilton to Curio Porto.
            Perhaps next time you could be more explicit.

• David says:

Don’t fancy the rest of Italy… are you a heathen?!

• Lord Doncaster says:

I know… Like what’s wrong with Italy?!

• @mkcol says:

Nothing is wrong with Italy per se. Quite simply it just doesn’t have a draw for me, as many other places on this planet don’t.
          Sorry I don’t share your enthusiasm, I’d be surprised if everyone shared everyone else’s desires.

• mr_jetlag says:

solihull bendy – I did a test transaction of £100 to ernie which went through fine, but now getting declined (same amount or larger), anyone report similar issues?

• TomG says:

We had a trip to LA booked for August that is not gonna happen. Called the hotel to see if they’d move us to the same dates next year. We had booked it at 1,295 a night, it’s currently 1,349. She says not a problem and sends me the confirmation- 2,495 a night they want!! LOL At the same time my gf was calling the Eden in Rome to see if they could switch us our upcoming trip to June 2022. Her face was also comical as they wanted 2,995 Euro per night for a room that is 1,875 for the same dates this year. We had booked it at 1,349. Total insanity. We canceled and will book again next year but it left a real bad taste for them to try to gouge us for wanting to keep our reservation and show our loyalty to hotels that we’ve had many great stays in.

• Pete M says:

Gosh, those are some expensive hotels even at the lower prices!

• Ash Raj says:

Wow! What’s the name of the LA hotel need to look that one up. Mind you I’d never heard of the Eden in rome

• JDB says:

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of it, as it is one of the nicest hotels in Rome, although I prefer the Hassler but that’s perhaps because they are so good at looking after repeat guests.

• Jonathan says:

You could probably buy a motor home (or RV as the Americans call them), and sell it when you’re done for the amount they want for a hotel room per night !

• Karen (yes it’s my real name) says:

Just received our travel authorisation for our holiday to St Lucia ex Gatwick with BA on Friday. For those outside London highly recommend expresstest , we used a drive through in Northampton well run and very friendly with the best price I could find for next day results. The actual testing was much more pleasant than self testing!
    With regards to the saga of the extra night without a room due to return flight moving out 24 hrs we contacted the hotel and booked the extra night with them. Several days later they contacted us saying they had received amended booking from BA hols for the 15 nights (originally 14) so had cancelled our booking. Still waiting for BA to tell us this! Perhaps they do know who I am … or more likely they’ll send me the bill.
    The hotel we are staying at offers free return testing and free COVID insurance so hopefully all bases covered.

• Char Char says:

Anyone had an unexpected interest charge on their solihull cards after using bendy to pay the seagulls past day or so since the statement?

• BJ says:

Front page of tomorrow’s Telegraph leading with Merkel demands that EU States require Brits to quarantine on arrival.

• David says:

Many are doing this anyway, are you really surprised?
      16,000 new cases reported today, the highest since February. Boris and his chumocracy have lost control again.

• meta says:

Like the Southern European countries are going to listen to her. She’s leaving in September anyway.

• Lord Doncaster says:

Spain can’t afford to listen to Frau Merkel to be honest.

• kitten says:

She has done a good job and I will be sad to see her go. I hope someone as competent replaces her.

• sam says:

ba wineflyer have 2 offers – new customers get 30% off and amex has 30% off if over £120. do these offers stack?
    sam