Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 24th June

Comments (474)

• Anna says:

Shapps saying that quarantine rules will be unveiled next month so booking anything for July/August is still going to be a gamble. I imagine the travel industry won’t be happy about that – the new green list isn’t really enough to save it.

• Rhys says:

That’s for double vaccination exemptions. With the Balearics on the list this is a much needed shot in the arm for BA, easyJet etc. Better than nothing!

• Anna says:

Apologies, that’s what I meant.
        FCDO advice also needs to change before holidays to the Balearics will be properly viable!

• Simon says:

Hope you can get on a plane soon now. OH chuffed I booked flights to Mallorca for next weekend today. Now to cancel the Jersey flights we had booked too!

• Ron says:

My SFO flight 285 on 30/7 just disappeared, expect to get an email soon. It’s a 241 booking, what’s the chance they let me move it to summer 2022?! Is doing it through MMB my best bet?? Thanks.

• Anna says:

Best option if the system will let you do it. Otherwise you risk waiting an hour on hold to be parroted the line that they will only re-book within 365 days!

• Wollhouse says:

I have a 241 Avios booking in sept to BKK which BA has cancelled. Having had many a call where they have so far refused to rebook me, I’ve just left the booking sitting there whilst I wait to see what happens with Samui and sandpit options. I know that legally BA has to rebook me, but I fully anticipate this being a MCOL. So, 2 questions: currently for the dates I have, BA is now showing availability using Qatar, but this transits through Doha, a red zone. I feel it is reasonable to argue that this flight doesn’t put me in the same position as ncl/lhr/bkk which is what I have w BA? Is this a “fair” argument if I end up MCOLing (is that a verb.. 😉 2) assuming bypassing a red zone is fair, am I able to pick say, KLM, as they don’t go via a red zone and/or the fact that BA’s partners are 26+ hours against competitors who are similar travel times to my original booking of approx 16 hours. What would be deemed reasonable? Can they say 30 odd hours is a reasonable replacement? Fully expecting yet another row…so just want to be prepared, thanks

• Kevin D says:

Hi guys. I’m 2k off my BAPP 10k companion voucher. How soon after I hit the 10k spend is it available to use?

• Anna says:

Usually within a few days.

• Rob says:

3-4 days

• Kevin D says:

Cheers
        BTW, thanks Rob for the advice for hitting 178,000 Avios between 2 people new to Amex. Myself and the missus are sitting on 224,000 having only got our first Amex in November past. Bonvoy then Platinum then BAPP in correct order and referral bonuses etc. Fantastic!!

• Matty says:

What time does security open at T5 in the morning and the BA lounge?