Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 24th June

Comments (474)

• TGLoyalty says:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57595913 EE adds £2 per day EU roaming charge for new customers from January …

• bafan says:

What benefits did we get from Brexit again? I’m very confused by it all.

• Harry T says:

We are positively awash with new sovereignty, so it’s all a small price to pay 😉

• TGLoyalty says:

Blue passports, fishing sovereignty and friction at borders in exchange for more paperwork, 50% fewer exports, removal of free movement of people and non class A waters shellfish export bans.

• Navara says:

All being vaccinated quicker

• TGLoyalty says:

Ah yes that old chestnut. Yet with more cases, more parts of our economy closed and less freedom to travel. Great is it.

• Rui N. says:

And why would vaccinations have anything to do with Brexit?!

• TGLoyalty says:

That’s the BS Boris peddled when your own medical agencies are free to approve medical treatments / drugs anyway and the bulk buy was optional.

• Rob says:

Nope, other EU countries didn’t take part in the bulk buying process and did their own deals. Wasn’t compulsory.

A lot of EU countries are now catching up anyway. We have issues with supplies of Pfizer which the EU does not have. By the time all adults here are done twice I doubt we’ll be more than 2-3 weeks ahead of Germany for example. As per Reuters “During the last week reported, Germany averaged about 820,189 doses administered each day. At that rate, it will take a further 21 days to administer enough doses for another 10% of the population.”

• ash says:

So we are are being vaccinated quicker. You just admitted it “A lot of EU countries are now catching up”

• Anuj says:

And we had far higher deaths and then even when the government got vaccination right they ruined the benefit it by not putting india on the red list sooner.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Vaccinations success is actually to do with early funding and contracts with suppliers instead of trying to negotiate the best price like the EU collective group did

• Josh says:

correlation != causation

• Phil W says:

Brexit would’ve not changed the vaccine roll out in the slightest. There was no mandate to participate in the EU’s procurement of the vaccine, and the UK almost certainly of not participated. Germany nearly didn’t.

• ash says:

Every been on the council house waiting list?

• Rui N. says:

We could be the fastest, the slowest or anything in between re vaccines, Brexit would still have had zero impact on that.

• bafan says:

The Tories could have built A LOT of council houses in the past 11 years and chose not to. Nothing to do with the EU.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Who cares if you have to pay more for roaming in EU. Not everyone travels every month. Hope they increase roaming charges even more.

• Chris Heyes says:

bafan Maybe your on the wrong site if your easily confused ?
        This site certainly wont un-confuse you

• bafan says:

I’m not easily confused. There are no benefits. Right wingers weaponised immigration to get through Brexit so they can profit from an easier ta£££ regime and people fell for it. Sad.

• Yuff says:

I just saw that as well.
      My contract finishes in January looks like I’ll be moving to o2

• Sam G says:

if you’re already with EE then you’ve nothing to worry about for now

Pretty sure this will become the norm again once one does it…

• TGLoyalty says:

First they came for the new customers then they came for the renewals and finally it was everyone.

• r* says:

Thats not right tho is it? It also affects renewals so presumably when you call up to cancel to get a cheaper offer that will be the end of free roaming?

• Andrew says:

And you each week you get a free coffee from Nero and a free sausage roll from Greggs

• Paul Pogba says:

O2 and EE have introduced charges/restrictions: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/06/has-o2-reintroduced-roaming-charges-what-you-need-to-know/

We’ll all be on Three before you know it with a barely useable signal inside the m25.

• Yuff says:

It’s just a cap on data.
          I find it handy having my Uk number in Spain as I spend more time here than the UK.
          I’ll definitely be looking at switching unless EE match it

• Jonathan says:

I’m with Sky, they use O2 coverage, and are one of the best mobile network providers around. I’ve been with them a few months, and no complaints.

In general, the big four (EE, Vodafone, Three, O2) just don’t offer the same value for money like smaller, newer networks offer. Unless you look at Three’s roaming policy that extends to loads of countries across the world, but if I usually get a local SIM card, to avoid the hassle of nasty phone bills and just generally unreliable coverage, which any (UK based) mobile network will dismiss as ‘that’s not our fault’

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Long live VOXI! (Run by Vodafone but takes on the small networks really well(

• meta says:

Just get a local sim card…

• TGLoyalty says:

I good option if you have a dual sim phone. Can’t give up my U.K. number for that long.

• meta says:

Buy a second cheap secondhand smartphone, switch off mobile data on your UK number and don’t call or text from that phone just receive phone calls and texts as you don’t pay for receiving call and texts. I did that when I used to travel in Africa for months. If I need to call/text, I just use Whatsapp, Imessage, etc.

• Rui N. says:

All really convenient steps!!! Much better than having free roaming.

• TGLoyalty says:

I know what I could do but I already have 2 with work I’m not going to 3!

• BuildBackBetter says:

@Rui N. Better to pay a small roaming charge than your job (and others) taken away by immigrants.

• marcw says:

You can’t buy a local sim card everywhere.

• meta says:

I never had a problem buying a local sim anywhere. If there are restrictions as in some African countries, you can just ask a local to buy it for you.

• Jonathan says:

Most countries that people travel to won’t have an issue buying a local SIM card, I’ve heard that tourists can even buy one in North Korea !

Yes there are some countries that make it very difficult (or impossible) for tourists or short term business travellers to get SIM cards, but fortunately these countries are few and far between.

It’s usually very easy to get hold of a tourist SIM card that will expire after around 30 days, depending on the provider, some expire within about 7 days!

• Navara says:

Just turn your phone off if you are on holiday…If it’s for work put it on expenses

• r* says:

why would anyone want to turn their phone off so they can no longer use gps or the internet?

• Navara says:

Always managed before mobiles. Had a very peaceful walk along the coast yesterday left my phone at home.

• Chris Heyes says:

1* I Always turn my phone off at airport before I fly and never turn it back on until I arrive back in UK been doing it for years
            Get told off by kids, who always say what if there is some bad news, my answer is always the same why would I want to hear bad news on holiday
            Same with tv/papers never switch on/read ect
            Holidays are for exactly that
            Drives me mad if daughter with us never off the dam thing

• ash says:

Immigration control – which is important. Mass uncontrolled immigration does not work.

• TGLoyalty says:

Yup just ask all those pubs and restaurants without staff.

• Navara says:

There are 1.6M claiming unemployment benefits

• Rob says:

Would you tell your Mum to get a job in your local pub, knowing the shifts could run to 1am, 7 days per week, if she was unemployed?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

A fair chunk of which are disabled and can’t get a job because of people judging there abilities or straight up discrimination… nothing to do with immigration… just saying it’s not a binary problem.

Did you know in 2019 the disability employment gap was 28% and the disability wage gal is also fairly big, there’s a house of commons report on the topic

• Navara says:

Good point Rob. She’s currently spending my inheritance I’ll have a word with the local pub

• Lord Doncaster says:

The EU has not many fanboys in Doncaster that’s for sure.

I also say it’s far better to offer more immigration opportunities to skilled non-EU workers…and fewer to non-skilled EU workers

• Chris Heyes says:

Never worked 7 days a week lol Well never worked 6 days a week either
            8 till 5 guy me(or 8 till 4.30 later years) or 7 to 4, never even worked overtime in my life
            My life is too precious to be handing hours out above my contracted time

• @mkcol says:

Trying to max out my Ambassador free weekend night certificate in London in November. Will mostly be in theatres that weekend, so am thinking either IC Park Lane or Kimpton Fitzroy.

Going by general comments I’ve read here over the months, Fitzroy seems to pip the IC to the post – would that be a fair assessment?

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

It’s fairly room-specific. The entry level rooms at the Fitzroy are tiny; the unrefurbished rooms at Park Lane aren’t all that. IC has a club lounge but it’s currently closed (November who knows). Kimpton’s public spaces have more of the wow factor. Not much in it in terms of location if you’re going to West End theatres.

• idontflymuch says:

Wembley Park Vaccination Centre is doing walk ins for the next few days. Had the 2nd Pfizer vaccine this afternoon, 4 weeks after my first, no wait time at all and free parking. Definitely worth considering, staff and volunteers were wonderful.

• Ben says:

We’re you asked any questions about it being just 4 weeks? Tempted myself

• PaulC says:

I thought you had to wait 4 weeks between jabs?

• Kai says:

I was there 2 hours ago two for the same. They have both AstraZeneca and Pfizer but obviously no Moderna.

Central Middlesex Hospital, Marble Arch and potentially more vaccination centres have been doing the same recently.

• Chris says:

Is it for local residents or anybody? Passing through that way at the weekend so wondering if I should make a detour

• S FRED says:

Warning Yawn: Trying to cancel BA flights within 24 hour cooling off…MMB cancellation option takes me straight to apply for voucher with no cash refund option…any alternative to calling? If calling is only option will they charge tel service fee and what’s the best number?

• Anna says:

I called 0191 490 7901 the other morning and got through after an hour. You might need to put 141 on the front so it doesn’t know you’re calling from the UK. They will probably try to charge you but should back down when you point out you can’t do this online.
      Send them a tweet as well, they may respond while you are waiting to get through on the phone. This also proves you’ve tried to cancel within 24 hours if you can’t get through to anyone.

• Memesweeper says:

I once had to cancel within 24 hours and the 24 hours passed while I was on hold. I explained and it was still processed for free.

• Yuff says:

I have just booked 2 flights for the same time at city and Heathrow because originally the Heathrow option kept bringing up error.😡
      I have sent them a tweet as I don’t want a voucher
      Just waiting for Grant to address the house……where is he

• Anna says:

I know! Doesn’t he know some of us have got cancellations we might need to process? 🤣

• Yuff says:

This takes me back to October last year waiting for him to give the green light and I plumped for Crete and the Domes of Elounda…….I wish he’d kept them on the amber list 🤣🤣🤣

• BSI1978 says:

Re LNER – has anyone been on a journey recently? Is alcohol still prohibited?

The email they sent earlier would suggest so, but then the same email lists wine, beer etc. as being available on their refined menu………

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Seem to remember someone mentioning them trialing alcohol in first

• Andy D says:

No booze on board on Friday and Sunday last week when I did Donny to London and back.

• BSI1978 says:

Blimey – what a splendid 4.5 hour journey to EDI we have lined up….hip flask it is!

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Don’t count on getting anything to be honest; not even crisps. Pack a picnic and hipflask.

• Peggerz says:

Mrs Peggers was on the southbound LNER from EDB-KGX on Monday and the drinks trolley passed through 1st and booze was on sale in the buffet bar too.

• Davef says:

Heathrow Reward finally admit they’ve been hacked:

How Your Account Was Accessed

The username and password which you use to login to Heathrow Rewards were used by fraudsters to access your account. We believe your login details were likely obtained by fraudulent activity affecting another platform, unconnected to Heathrow. For example, it may be that your username and password details have been obtained illegally from another website, and then have been used by fraudsters to try and access other online accounts, or that your password is guessable. At this stage, we have not seen evidence that the fraudsters who managed to access your account have made (or attempted to make) any unauthorised transactions.

Securing Your Account

In order to secure your Heathrow Rewards account, we have temporarily frozen your account and reset your password. We will be in touch when the Heathrow Rewards website is live again with guidance on accessing and securing your account with a new password.

Check Other Online Accounts

As we set out above, Heathrow Rewards does not hold any financial information or bank card details, and no financial information has been compromised as a result of the unauthorised account access.

However, given that the fraudulent access may arise from a third-party incident or password re-use, we strongly recommend that you review and if necessary update your login details for your other online accounts, especially if you have used the same email address or username and password anywhere else. You should check and monitor those accounts for any suspicious activity. You should also review any partner accounts that are connected to your Heathrow Rewards account. There is more information on how to protect yourself from online fraud and check what details have been made available to fraudsters here: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/individual-protection.

• AndyGWP says:

That sounds specific to you, and I don’t think your account has technically been hacked… breached may be a better term for it (as they’ve just re-used details that *had* been hacked from another website, and you were re-using on Heathrow Rewards)

… that’s how it reads to me anyways 🙂

• Tariq says:

How can they tell that it was accessed by fraudsters, rather than the user themselves? Presumably they have records showing access to multiple different accounts from the same IP address?

• Joints&Piles says:

They’re giving standard waffle to cover their own backside. There is clearly something much more significant – and system-wide – than a few accounts being breached with re-used passwords that were exposed elsewhere.

They shut down the entire site, for all users.

“When this came to our attention, we acted swiftly to remove all access to the Heathrow Rewards website whilst our investigation progressed. That investigation is ongoing, and we are liaising with appropriate UK authorities.”

• Davef says:

The bit about the website being closed until further notice would indicate it’s not just me although they’ve deliberately worded it to sound like that.

My credentials for that site include my HR number and since only they and I ever knew that (apart from transactions with retailers at LHR) then it would indicate someone’s compromised their database.

Anyway my balance was zero, and I dont intend to use LHR for the next few years anyway 🙂

• ankomonkey says:

My balance was also zero as Heathrow Rewards were just about the only entity out there that didn’t waive points expiry for Covid and lack of chances to travel.

• AndyGWP says:

HR changed their login system to also work off emails 👍🏻🙂

• AndyGWP says:

Ah. With caveats:

“Your User ID is your email address or, if you joined before 21 May 2013 and have not yet changed to email login.”

• Davef says:

Mine was still my HR number, I never switched to email address logins

• Joints&Piles says:

This doesn’t add up. One or several individual accounts being accessed with passwords gleaned from a breach of some other website does not explain removing all access to Heathrow Rewards for all users (which began more than 8 weeks ago).

• Memesweeper says:

It might do if they were loosing money as a result of some accounts being breach and decided — with few live earning or redeeming options due to corona -# to shut down while they got two-factor login set up.

However, we’re that the case I’d put a holding page up explaining exactly that.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

I’d lodge a complaint with the Information Commisioners Office because of how long they’ve taken to tell you…

• KBuffett says:

I’ve been asking on here for HfP to ask Heathrow Rewards for a statement etc.
      Clearly it has been bothering people, but the HfP line seems to be ‘no one cares’

• Travel Strong says:

Outrageous. Demand a refund of your subscription!

• KBuffett says:

I didn’t mean it as such. I do think it could be good for the site, SEO and exposure to cover something on this. Makes no difference to me whatsoever, I’ve just picked up many comments on the subject.

• BJ says:

Back to mobiles… £6/month 5 data, unlimited mins & texts plus roaming EU47 for now on O2 – U have to go to another site.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

£10 a month on Voxi for unlimited social media data, calls and texts. 8GB of data and EU roaming plus some other countries

• Reney says:

Which other site are you referring to? That seems like a great deal, but I currently have a ton of Giff Gaff credit from Airtime/Morrison.

• BJ says:

U..switch, apologies to Rob if it’s one of the out of favour sites, no idea.