If you spend £200+ at participating hotels, you will receive 5,000 bonus Avios.
The offer runs until 31st August.
How does the Marriott / American Express bonus Avios offer work?
The offer is limited to the first 30,000 people to register. You will need to look under the ‘Offers’ tab on your BA Amex statement page in the American Express app or on the website.
Here are some things you need to know:
- the offer is only valid at hotels on this list (PDF) – there are participating hotels in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK
- cumulative spend across different hotels should be OK but this is not made clear in the rules
- you can only earn the bonus once
- the rules state that only ‘check-out spend’ counts – in reality pre-paid rooms should also trigger the bonus as long as you book directly at marriott.com, but you do this at your own risk
- this offer will double-up with any bonus points promotion run by Marriott Bonvoy, although at the moment there isn’t one
How does this compare to other Amex hotel deals?
American Express is running a lot of deals like this at the moment.
The best one is with Hyatt, where you get £100 back on a £250 spend. There is also £100 back on a £300 spend with Small Luxury Hotels, £100 back on a £350 spend at IHG’s luxury hotels, £50 back on a £200 spent at IHG’s mid-market hotels and £100 back on a £350 spend at Leading Hotels of the World, amongst others.
The Marriott deal is, as a percentage of your spend, less valuable than the offers above – Hyatt offers you a huge 40% back on your spending if you hit exactly £250, for example.
However, as this new Avios / Marriott offer only needs £200 of spend to trigger, it is easier to reach. Marriott also has far more European hotels than Hyatt, Small Luxury Hotels or Leading Hotels of the World. The Marriott deal will also get more valuable if Marriott Bonvoy launches a new bonus points offer.
The Marriott website for bookings is here.
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (August 2021)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!
There are two official British Airways American Express cards:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:
We also recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card:
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.
(Want to earn more Avios? Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)