Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 3rd July

Comments (356)

• Kipto says:

I have forgotten my third party nominee password on my wife’s BA account. Does anybody know how I can change it. On my wife’s account it only gives the option to edit or remove someone. Is the only option for me to be removed and then set up again ? If so, will our existing bookings automatically show me as having third party nominee access. ?

• John says:

Call BA I guess, or try Twitter first

• Kipto says:

Thanks. Should have added that I can’t get through to BA and they haven’t replied on Twitter

• Saiz says:

BA has cancelled all 4 CW tickets to Atlanta from London and Seat Spy showing no availability for August so I presume the route is no longer available till 31st August but I will check BA website for when they are resuming flight.

This was not a holiday as my parents are very ill and I do need to travel there so my kids and husband can also see them. I travelled on an exemption in May too. Should I sit on it and ask them to book me on an alternative flight or should I ask them to book me now? How are they with rerouting over the phone. Is it a case of them agreeing to it or do they give everyone a hard time re rerouting. I know Virgin and Delta have been flying to Atlanta.

I want to travel direct but should I accept if they reroute me via New York or some other state?

• Saiz says:

Also, tried to rebook via Manage my booking but if its not a direct flight (which there aren’t any till 31st August) then it won’t let me rebook.

• Nick says:

They have to allow rerouting but you don’t have the right to demand a particular carrier of your choice. There are loads of options to every US city under the JB. If you’re not bothered which they give you, just call and ask, or if you want a preferred routing then do some research first and then ask for it. You won’t have any trouble at all getting them to rebook you into the US.

• Nick says:

P.S. my preferred routing would be LHR-CLT-ATL (but I quite like the AA 777s and I know some people don’t!)

• Lady London says:

Yes see Nick’s route below. Would have thought AA might still have direct flights? in which case BA should want to put you on those without fuss instead (due to the transatlantic jv).

You absolutely do have the right to be rerouted onto another airline on the same day but BA is illegally denying such rights (they lose in court (MCOL) and arbitration (CEDR) but you have no time to mess with BA trying to stonewall you and wear you down to block your getting what you have a right to. So do as above.

• Saiz says:

Thanks all, very helpful. Do you recommend I wait and then rebook in late July as that way the situation with the Delta variant would be clearer too and the 19th July decision or is it better to call and just re route on the best available option ASAP?

Are they flexible about letting you change the date too as I want to move it a week earlier now if allowed. Since they allow you to choose a different date online, hopefully it shouldn’t be an issue.

• Saiz says:

Thanks all, very helpful. Do you recommend I wait and then rebook in late July as that way the situation with the Delta variant would be clearer too and the 19th July decision or is it better to call and just re route on the best available option as soon as possible?

• r* says:

I have a paper share certificate from a few years ago but no broker acct (I have freetrade and trading212)

Does anyone know the easiest/cheapest way to get the paper certificate into somewhere that I can eiither sell or transfer the shares?

• John says:

AJ Bell seems to let you deposit certificates for free and if you sell the shares straight away and withdraw the money, the platform fee will be minimal

Halifax also does it for free but has a £3 monthly charge regardless of your holdings

• AJA says:

Do you know if the company uses Equiniti? BT, National Grid and Barclays all do and will allow you to sell shares held in paper form via Equiniti. If it does you can create an online account with Equiniti and then use them to sell. I think they charge a one off fee of £11.95. Easiest way to check is to go to the investor page of the company and it will tell you who is the share administrator.

• SM says:

Any recommendations for a family friendly hotel in Crete for late August? Domes Elounda is sold out unfortunately, a decent hotel with pool(s), close to the beach and dining options would be good. Thanks. v much.

• Chelseafi says:

Domes is showing all available on BA holiday finder.

• meta says:

Domes Zeen is the other option. They have family rooms. In any case, it’s advisable to get a car on Crete as the best beaches are not in the resorts.

• meta says:

Although not sure where you looked, there is availability at Elounda for end of August, about the same price as Domes Zeen.

• Christina says:

There’s not much of a beach in Elounda.

• Tuppy says:

Has anyone received their 99 Nectar points for entering the Esso competition last month?
    Entered on 12th May and they stated the bonus 99 point award will be processed within 28 days.
    The competition closed on 31st May, so even if the 28 days are calculated from then, we are still well over that timescale.
    I had acknowledgement of my entry, but heard nothing since!

• Jonathan says:

Also nothing received yet

• TGLoyalty says:

Tbh is it worth even bothering with? They’ll post one day

• AJA says:

Or they won’t post at all. I am not bothering to chase and will treat the 99np as a bonus if it turns up.

• Jonathan says:

Thought they were up to something as they’ve also been handing out 10% key worker discounts to all & sundry.

• TGLoyalty says:

Depends how you see that spend.

If that 10% discount came straight out of the fixed (or even variable) Marketing budget for the year they probably did quite well with efficiency of spend.

Scattergun marketing is never quite as good as targeted promotions in my personal opinion. But ofcourse I don’t work in the supermarket industry.

• Geoff says:

I have a small number of Miles & More points (1300) due to expire. Any suggestions?

• meta says:

Transfer 1k to someone who can make use of it. I believe it is £10 for 1k.

• Ali says:

Morrison’s accepted an acquisition offer from the yanks. Is the the end of the gravy train for discounted gift cards?