Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 7th July

Comments (492)

• Mark says:

Tickets popping up for the Euros tonight… £495! Category 1.

• Helen says:

I posted yesterday about the CP Kings Cross cancelling my reservation. Does anyone know (a) when the hotel closed and (b) when initial notifications was sent out ? Thanks

• Saiz says:

I can’t see the option to see flexible dates on Hilton’s website and app. Has somdthing changed? Before the option used to be under Special Rates.

• John says:

App never had it, website click on the dates and look carefully

• Saiz says:

Thanks I have looked carefully again but no luck. Thanks anyway

• BJ says:

Search a specific date, once you get the results page change the dates of stay and you will notice it easier.

• r* says:

I assume that it is, but does anyone know if the randox before-flight mail in pcr test is valid for arriving in portugal? All the site goes on about is gold standard rather than any actual details.

• Lady London says:

Has Boris gone off his trolley? is what I’m seeing on Yahoo new news, I have only just seen it

• r* says:

Give its Bozo, youd need to narrow down which trolley he wouldve gone off this time 🙂

• Tiger says:

O/T: In the market for a new desk for my home office. Any recommendations?
    TIA.

• JDB says:

You should be able to get a good one from a local auction house if you like old furniture. There is no demand, so very cheap and maybe one day it will come back into fashion; in the meantime nicer and better quality than most modern stuff. Just seen an Edwardian mahogany one, twin pedestal, kneehole with leather top with estimate £100-150.

• Lady London says:

What kind of town and what kind of venue was that in, JDB?

• JDB says:

Ashley Waller in Cheshire. 2 day auction started today, lot 2018. easyliveauction is good for showing you stuff all round the country and you can place a bid without it being shown so the bids are placed by the system as if you were present.

• Lady London says:

Tx JDB. Snowed under at present but will make a note to take a look.

• AnotherUser says:

Yeah – sometimes see really nice bureaus and writing desks going for peanuts in auctions or charity shops (British Heart Foundation sometimes lists stuff on eBay). Great if that suits your needs/tastes. Not so convenient for a laptop and a couple of monitors, though – which is why I’m working from my ugly MDF desk bought from an office supplies shop, rather than a much nicer antique one that would have cost similar money 🙁

• Sam says:

Get a standing desk

• Louise K says:

I’ve always had IKEA desks

• kitten says:

Try IKEA for something utilitarian. Pay the £30-odd for them to assemble it if you want. But mostly their desks very simple.

Look at different branches if you’re having trouble finding stock

• Lady London says:

ikea. look across branches if short of stock. simple to assemble

• Rhys says:

Kitten and Lady London dual identity confirmed I see 😉

• BJ says:

I got it but never really did, missed the story somewhere down the line. Think I was back out working when it all came about.

• Maximus says:

I’ve bought a Fully Jarvis sit-stand desk and a Hag capisco chair earlier this year, and can’t recommend the combo highly enough. By far the best investment I’ve made over the last 2 years…

• Super Secret Stuff says:

If you have access, go to Costco and get an electric height adjustable desk. Perfect for any of the family to use, can be a sitting or standing desk and comes in 3 or 4 parts which are simple to put together. Something like £260 when I brought it

• Magic Mike says:

+1 to Costco, the standing desk they do is currently £215 in-store.

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

Bought a nice glass wood one from here https://www.connectedessentials.co.uk/collections/home-office-desks

• R says:

Thoughts on Hilton Metropole and Moxy Stratford?

Unsure about both, but I think I’ll need to stay at both later this week & early next week as they are convenient. Read too many reviews and have mixed feelings about both. HH Diamond & Marriott Gold

• Lady London says:

The Doubletree behind Marble Arch is more appreciated.

• Lady London says:

For Stratford (East London) IHG has the Staybridge/HIX both get good ratings, might be tougher on budget than Moxy

• R says:

Thank you for both recommendations! I am thinking about Metropole just because of the Bakerloo line & Marylebone. In terms of Stratford, I really don’t want to do Moxy but it’s the only Hilton/Marriott option. Hilton really needs to open their Curio Stratford hotel asap

• Lady London says:

I’d do a Hampton sooner than a Moxy. Is there nothing on the Central Line or are you not wanting that location in Stratford?

• Lady London says:

Doubletree walking distance of Marylebone

• Memesweeper says:

Moxy is OK. No tea and coffee making in the room is a massive drawback . Good communal areas and bar to compensate. Small desk (but a desk nonetheless). Clean and modern throughout. I’ll be going again.

• Tariq says:

I like both but only stayed at the Moxy in the 6 months after it first opened so no idea how it’s weathered the traffic. Convenient if you need to park a car (reasonably priced in the Westfield).

• The cyclist says:

Mind the beggars and feral youth in Stratford, the beggars are not genuine I might add, mostly professional beggars as opposed to the old fashioned tramps, who you know were real. I mentioned Hilton Metropole earlier today.

• BJ says:

IMO Metropole is a horror, shouldn’t be but it is.

• Michael C says:

Possibly the grimmest place we’ve stayed at in the last few years.
        Cheap, though!

• R says:

Thanks guys! I’ve cancelled my Metropole Booking. Thoughts on Hilton Paddington? I am not very impressed but the ratings are slightly better & it still works for me quite well. (Trying to cut my time on the tube as much as possible)

It seems like there’s only a handful of good Hiltons in LDN from my own experience and all of them are out of way (Curio Shoreditch, Bankside, Curio Westminster, LB).

• Michael C says:

Hilton Hyde Park was v pleasant a couple of weeks ago, and literally on top of Queensway tube, with Kensington Gardens opposite.

• R says:

@Michael C

(Couldn’t reply directly for some reason)

Do you think so? I’ve stayed there back in May and I was not impressed. My Diamond status was not recognised at all, received a standard room with an atrium view. Found a lot of hair in the bathroom and the Nespresso machine was faulty as capsules were exploding inside. The only good thing about the hotel was the breakfast. When I asked about a late checkout after the breakfast, the receptionist did not ask me about my room number etc just said ‘no, we are full tonight’ and turned away and walked to the back – I have specified that even 30 min would be great when asking.

• Jill ( Kinkell) says:

Well, Here I am in Bath at the Indigo Hotel ( my free IHG night) and lo and behold…..we are in the same room as reviewed by Rob in June. . Following his advice we’re going for the bar menu..not enthralled with restaurant offerings,,something with cockles, something with snails….yuk! However, so far very pleasant and staff very obliging. A good use of the free night.

• meta says:

Hope you have sleep better. It’s a weekday, so hopefully there won’t be any parties.

• Jill ( Kinkell) says:

Well….. England v Denmark tonight….so my trust BA fancy F class earplugs for me !

• Ash Raj says:

The elder restaurant is fantastic. One of the best meals we had

• meta says:

Not for me, I found the menu lacking and the food tasteless. The only redeeming feature is the breakfast. I’d go elsewhere for lunch/dinner.

• Peter K says:

I found the menu at The Elder very limited and the food was nice, but not exceptional and not worth the price.

Not my favourite meal in Bath.

• Mr. AC says:

We enjoyed The Elder a lot when we visited in October. What would you recommend in Bath that’s better?

• BJ says:

Enjoy…

• Rob says:

Flyertalk comment says that the data breach settlement payout is £300.

Not clear if this is before or after the 30% haircut and, of course, the comment cannot be verified.

• s879 says:

Is there some way to find out if you suffered from the breach? My email doesn’t come up with any search results when I search but it may have gone to junk and got deleted.

• ChrisC says:

The breach happened between specific dates in late august / early September 2018 and for people who did certain financial transactions between those two dates.

• johnny_c-l says:

Seems a reasonable amount.

• Magic Mike says:

Presumably reporting something unverified off flyertalk is ok then 🙂

• ChrisC says:

Anyone can post a figure with no validation of who they are or that they are even part of the settlement or if they are just posting a random amount to see what sort of reaction they get.

• Rimmingtown says:

Absolutely agree, now what about a score prediction for tonight’s game.

• Rob says:

It was a very specific reference to Class 2A claimants.

• ChrisC says:

Post has been removed and a string statement posted

“We have been advised that publication of any of the settlement amounts might be legally problematical for both the posting member and potentially Flyertalk.

As such, a large number of posts which flowed from a figure being published have been removed.

To protect both yourselves and FT, please do not post or send us any settlement figures until they have been confirmed by any court and are clearly allowed in the public domain.

Thanks for your cooperation.”

Posted by one of the BA board mods.