Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 13th July

Comments (331)

• Blenz101 says:

Nobody has said it is impossible to catch outside. And those ‘test events’ did require PCR tests to further reduce risks. Transmission at other test events did occur but the numbers were low.

In terms of why the message is “stay home” it’s because it’s a simple one. Driving to the countryside in say rural North Yorkshire would be a different to someone living in London with no car in terms of the risk of transmission outdoors including getting there in the first place.

• Mark says:

Quarentine from Amber countries requires pcr tests, also most Amber countries have less covid than Manchester and I can still go there and come home and walk my dog.

• Blenz101 says:

Tell me about it! I’m in the UAE right now where cases have consistently been far lower per capita and vaccination rates far higher.

I am heading over Greece next with without an issue and just a PCR test on arrival, no quarantine. If I want to go home to see friends and family this summer on Covid island I need to do 10 nights in a government hotel at huge cost and an inordinate amount of testing.

So I don’t at all agree with the U.K. approach given I’ve been effectively locked out for 6 months. But meanwhile I’m happily heading to the USA and mainland Europe.

• TGLoyalty says:

Disagree with the case rate. The rate per 100k was well above the rate in the U.K. ever since it went on the red list.

• Mark says:

Total rubbish.
            Currently
            UK cases per 100k =309
            United Arab Emirates per 100k =109

• Blenz101 says:

You are wrong on that TGLoyalty. The UAE is also testing about 200k people a day with a population of only 9m or so.

The UAE and ME3 are on this list because they are transit hubs.

• TGLoyalty says:

7 day Covid rate – 14 day rate

20/6/2021
            U.K. – 83/100k – 131/100k
            UAE – 150/100k – 292/100k

27/5/21
            U.K. – 23/100k – 45/100k
            UAE – 103/100 – 226/100k

24/4/21
            U.K. – 25/100k – 46/100k
            UAE – 137/100k – 273/100k

• Mark says:

TGL.. Litrellly cherry picking dates to suit his rotten agenda.
            Try the whole amount of cases by population since the very start of the pandemic.
            UK vs UAE.
            As I said you’re talking rubbish.

• Sandra says:

Got them publicity though. Watching on TV at the weekend I saw plenty of Amex logos on the freebies scattered around the crowd so I suppose Amex will see it as successful.

• Ross says:

Flying to the Caribbean on Saturday in Business on BA.

In terms of Lounge and Flight, what should I expect?

Are things (food, drink, service) very different?

Just trying to manage expectations

Thanks