Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 23rd July

Comments (384)

• Roberto says:

Is the Curve app down for everyone or just me? I keep getting 502 errors on various pages of the app?

• Phil W says:

I’ve received a service update email. Appears to be impacting numerous people over Android and iOS. Mine is fine though.

• Jamil says:

Yes, it seems to be playing up. I had a few failed transactions yesterday when I tried to use it in person yesterday. I was thinking that it was my account.

• mzb says:

Looks like Curve has acknowledged it on their Status page:
      Investigating – We’ve noticed some customers may have issues while accessing the Curve app. We’re looking into it and are sorry for any inconvenience it’s causing. Jul 23, 06:35 UTC

I can’t make payments online, and a lot of the functionality on the app is not working.

• Number9 says:

Here is a link for BA chat, you don’t have to change country to use it and it’s easy to find. Google contact BA will bring the page up if you can’t find it on BA.

• Number9 says:

Think it’s 8am to 8pm opening times, I had success early evening no wait times.

• Michael C says:

Thanks! (it was me asking yesterday!) – your link totally works for me, but the one sent by BA didn’t…!
        I agree on the times, from my day of trial and error. I also tried changing to US/Japan sites, but that 8-8 didn’t change.
        Also learned it’s:
        -ask bot any question
        -say No, answer no good
        -then get offer to chat to person!

• Number9 says:

I did post it on your original post Michael but it was late in day. And that is exactly what I did just say NO to the Bot, and you will get a human. Mine was for a query on a BA holiday. I admit I found it by accident.

• Michael C says:

Mine was hols too – great one to file away for the future. Thanks again (D*bs?!)

• Number9 says:

Yes Debs will have to change it again when Bale goes lol

• TimM says:

As a follow up from yesterday’s daily chat, re. my refund claim from BA for an enforced overnight stay…

“As previously mentioned, in accordance with the EU law, airlines are not liable for a compensation payment if the cancellation is notified more than 14 days before departure.

I understand that you were informed by our agent to submit a claim for the refund of the extra costs you had.”

..and hence the refund is granted.

Worryingly, BA don’t seem to accept their duty of care when cancelling flights if it is done more than two weeks in advance.

Problem solved, this time.

• Pete M says:

They seem to love refusing on the basis that compensation isn’t due… Which is, of course, often total balls, as you’re not asking for compensation. You’re asking them to honour their duty of care, which they should have done in the first place!

• stevenhp1987 says:

Had the same nonsense from them recently.

I’m guessing enough people will just leave it alone.

Took my case to CEDR and now just waiting!

• Lyn says:

Well done. I think they simply hope most people will be put off and give up.

• Phil W says:

For the first time in a year my wife and I are flying today. It’s the longest period without going abroad since I was 18!

We’re doing EDIFRAMUC with Lufty. I’m strangely nervous. Have I got all the right documents? Did I complete the DER correctly. Have I packed everything? What have I forgotten?

It all feels very strange. I suspect I won’t relax until we get through immigration at FRA.

🤞

• Keely says:

I get it … we fly Sunday , am usually quite excited by this stage but instead there’s just a bit of anxiety about have I booked everything and completed my forms correctly …
      Enjoy your time away 😁

• Anna says:

I know what you mean – I’m really struggling to get organised knowing the government or a positive covid test could throw our plans off at short notice!
        I won’t actually believe it till we land at the other end.

• Michael C says:

When are you leaving, Anna?!

• Dave1985 says:

A week after entry requirements change!

(That was a joke. Good luck, hope your trip goes ahead!)

• Jill ( Kinkell) says:

I can’t be bothered with all the hassle, stress and uncertainty. Certainly puts a dampener on going away. To that end I’ve cancelled everything for our USA road trip in Sept. bar the flights….in the hope BA cancel and Biden won’t let us in yet! I also object to forking out more cash for the various tests required.
          So I’ll enjoy the sunshine at home and tend my garden

• Dave1985 says:

I’m sure you’ll still have a great time at home relaxing, especially now that we’ve got freedom!

• Anna says:

We go next Friday – still got both TFS and GIB booked in case of a last minute amber plus scenario for Spain!
            Thanks Dave1985 – the next review is August 3rd, so shortly after we arrive 🙄. Insurance company assures me we’re covered for everything as long as FCDO isn’t actively advising against travel at the point of departure!

• Anna says:

Jill – totally get what you mean, but OH only has these 2 weeks off and we can’t face another staycation, plus if it’s going to be like this for years to come (people making too much money from testing!), I’m thinking we may as well get out heads around it sooner rather than later.

• BJ says:

Hassle puts me off too, haven’t planned anything before Thailand in December. Settled for London in August, and oad trip to South West in September. Might go to Iceland late September on a last minute arrangement depending in testing etc.

• AJA says:

I’m with you Jill. I would love to go away but the stress of everything changing between booking and actually flying or indeed after I’ve got to my destination plus booking all the tests and hoping I’ve done it in the right time and get a negative result back in time just makes it too much. I am hoping for better things next year. It’s been nearly 18 months since I was last in the air. Never been grounded that long since I took my first flight aged 10!

• Patrick Cold says:

Hear hear.

• Navara says:

Had a bit of a wait to cross the border into Wales but it turned out to be a broken down van in the outside lane. No COVID issues though.

• gtellez says:

I know that my question has been asked many many times, but as the situation changes that much I would like to confirm it.
    Is qured with the BA promo code the best option for the pre-departure test to return to the UK? I prefer relaibility vs price, as my employer pays for it. Thanks!

• Pete M says:

My preference is Project Screen – at £26 it’s cheaper and doesn’t require a video call: https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/virgindelta/

• Anna says:

So how does that actually work?

• Pete M says:

Just like the NHS one, except you then upload a picture of the test to their website and they send you a certificate by return. Removing the need for a video call is a big plus IMHO.

• r* says:

Be careful with prenetics. We ordered two and when we came to use one of them, it had barely any liquid in the vial.

• TGLoyalty says:

Take a book of nhs tests with you. As long as the test is fine the rest is all the same crap.

• gtellez says:

Great, I got that one (I prefer not doing the video call too). Thanks!

• Rob says:

It is the cheapest deal for Qured, yes.

• Pablo says:

Cheapest is Chronomics with BA code. £10 per test delivered. Order separately for each member of travel party to avail of this price.

• BJ says:

Got an email from Air Asia. They have automatically extended credit accounts to 3 years from the date of issue. Email also explains clearly that it is only necessary to book within 3 years, not fly. I continue to love this airline, never had a single bad experience with them since I stared using them in early 2000s.

• Michael C says:

I agree, BJ. The only airline where I book and pay for food in advance: all delicious and incredibly reasonable.

• BJ says:

I like the food too, it’s simple but done well. Staff have always been very pleasant and professional, almost all my flights have been on time with the longest delay only 25 minutes. However, I think what I like best is that they have managed to operate something closer to a bus service than any other airline: simple to book and pay, massive route network, can usually safely turn up at airports just an hour before departure, and best of all perhaps is that they don’t totally rip you off if you turn up at the airport needing a ticket for a last minute departure, even then their fares are reasonable.

• BuildBackBetter says:

The downside is they are loss making and never know which routes could be pulled.

• PerkyPat says:

I love the Nasi Lemak!

• Aston100 says:

Alas, when things went bellyup last year and they had to cancel my flights, they were refusing a refund.
      Had to section 75 them.

People are quick to forget how so many airlines were refusing refunds in the first half of 2020, and that includes Air Asia amongst others.

• BJ says:

In my own experience I found getting the credit account painless but was secure in knowledge I could use it. There were many ‘full service’ airlines that were more difficult about refunds than Air Asia back then, and they likely continue to be so.

• ankomonkey says:

+1. They even gave me a deadline after which their offer of a voucher would be withdrawn. It was that threat that made me go straight to the credit card company!

• Zoe says:

We have used the cheap and cheerful Expert Medical to order Day 2 tests. 3 tests ordered at the same time on Tuesday but had to be separate transactions. Mine is the only one that has been despatched. If my husband & daughter’s ones show up late (or never) is there any government comeback? I assume in due course could do a chargeback.
    For the tiny minority who might use Bournemouth we were first off the plane and they had 4 border agents working (no room for more). Normal quick question about how long have you been away, no Covid questions. About 10 mins from plane to car.

• stevenhp1987 says:

Flying out of Bournemouth tonight and back in Sunday. Would be surprised if its similar to the queues in Heathrow!

• Zoe says:

We booked front row seats incase they had 2 agents and were doing 15 mins per passenger. Our flight landed at 11pm so didn’t fancy a long wait. Only 68 passengers onboard so pretty quiet.
        Not sure if it’s changed since last week but only the cafe before security was open when we left on 14th July. Duty free was selling warm bottles of water,

• Anna says:

It’s probably a good thing they need ordering separately as you then only have to replace individual ones that don’t arrive. I had one delivered as ordered on Wednesday, then ordered 2 more and been notified they will come today so we’ll see!
      I paid on Creation as they don’t take Amex and that’s my only MC. Never done a chargeback with them so would have to see what that’s like as well!

• Aaron C says:

We ordered our tests on Sunday and they were waiting when we got back on Tuesday (delivery by DPD). The kits themselves looked legitimate and the registration process was simple. We took and posted them on Wednesday (RM priority post box) and out waiting for our results.

• TGLoyalty says:

Just take them whenever they turn up and send them back. You’ve done your part of the deal

• Reney says:

If anyone needs breakdown cover and have Tesco points, RAC is currently offering 50% off for the next 3 days or so, you can get a package for as low as £16 Tesco voucher.