Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 23rd July

Comments (384)

• Wollhouse says:

Add! Not ass….

• Crafty says:

I have Tesco Clubcard points expiring end of August. Any exciting ideas for how to spend them well? Or, tricks to extend them?

• AJA says:

Buy something for the minimum spend allowed. Any change is given back in vouchers that are extended.

• stevenhp1987 says:

This. I tend to order multiple 50p vouchers for Hungry Horse in separate transactions to keep them going.

They have no problem using 5 vouchers at once!

• Tracey says:

Pizza expresd

• Simon says:

Just had revised t’s & c’s for my Halifax credit card, reading between the lines it appears that Bendy transactions might be charged as cash going forward. It looks like my Bendy days could be over soon….assume this will also apply to Lloyds and BOS and joins the list of other banks heading in this direction.

• Sprout says:

I had an e-mail from lloyds stating the same – effective early October.

• Andrew says:

Halifax is a trading name of BoS anyway that’s why you can access both brands from either App.

Essentially, all MBNA, BoS, Halifax, Lloyds, Black Horse, Lex and a few other brands are all hosted on the same IT – so expect the same T&Cs.

(The only reason that there’s still two different banking licences is to retain the right of BoS to print their own money).

• Roberto says:

If this gets rolled out across the board as discussed, Curve doesn’t really have a purpose?
      Or am I missing something?

• Simon says:

Agreed.

• Doog1000 says:

Presumably there are still some issuers who have yet to announce a change their T&Cs (as Virgin and Lloyds Group have done) – thinking Hilton Barclaycard, HSBC Premier, Capital on Tap so still some opportunities – am I missing any?

• TGLoyalty says:

Why would all transactions by curve be affected?

they be using the mcc to decide what’s a cash transaction won’t they? Curve passes through the mcc of the original merchant.

• BP says:

I guess we all need to wait and see what T&C changes will bring. I really hope that my bearded creative journey continues but it may not. Until 5th August I’ll maximise my points for this route and hope for the best after that.

• TGLoyalty says:

The “magic” is that it fronts your credit card number as a debit card number. There is no other magic.

• Simon says:

Has anyone receive the 10,000 bonus points for booking a stay with the IHG credit card for the promotion a few months back? Thanks

• Lady London says:

It was yesterday or the day before, near the end of the day’s chat, I think that’s what Wayne P said he was warning IHG he would take action for if not provided

• Princess says:

Sharing our experience in Greece.
    Arrived in Crete (chania) on Wednesday. We are double vaccined. Passport control only took 10 min. Then other 5 minutes to check PLF and NHS vaccine (all checked by different people)
    Then the queue lead you to a obligatory antigen test they performs.
    I thought they were picking random people, but no they test everybody
    To be hones they managed to test all flight in around 45 min (3 people performing tests). Waiting time was 20-25 minutes
    We were at the beginning of the queue and it took only 45-50 minutes from landing to be out of the airport.
    I thought this could be useful info, maybe take one of the free nHs antigen test the day before you fly just in case

Sorry if someone shared this already but I didn’t read the chat in the last couple of days.

• Harry T says:

Yeah, I’ve heard a fair few reports of Greek airports testing the whole plane on arrival recently. Glad it worked out okay for you; enjoy your holiday!

• Pete M says:

And if anyone tests positive, everyone’s off to quarantine. Enough to put me off going to Greece!

• TGLoyalty says:

When exactly will the madness end.

• Princess says:

@pete I’m not sure, because after 15 minutes they started to give back passport to the first group of negative results, and everyone was leaving. I’m guessing of course they can reach you with PLF

• DZOO says:

Is that actually confirmed?

• YC says:

Is it flights from UK that are being tested? Rather than all flights from everywhere

• Pete M says:

I believe so, Plague Island FTW

• Princess says:

@YC I thought the same but Not sure. People on my flight had relatives that arrived few hours before from Lituania and their flight was also tested

• Peggerz says:

Thanks for this @Princess. I’m heading to Chania later in the summer. At least the airport is one of the better Greek ones to be stuck in…….

• TGLoyalty says:

Why the day before? It’s a result in 20-30 mins just take it before you leave the house for the airport.

• Muhammad Abdullah says:

Was the NHS vaccine cert QR scanned?

• Princess says:

No they just checked it (the date of the second vaccination I think)

• bafan says:

I’m flying from Sweden to Greece next week – it’ll be interesting to see if I get tested too based on the reports from UK flights on here.

• Magic Mike says:

Please report back – it’s enough to make you fly indirect if they’re going to quarantine the whole plane based on one positive case.

• Olly says:

We flew to Athens last Friday and they barely scanned our certificates. Certainly weren’t testing the whole flight. Was very simple

• Dylan says:

Looking for some help with the collective wisdom on here!

Currently have a stash of Avios (200K) which I’ve not touched for several years so are just kind of lingering. Also, fairly cash poor for various reasons, and not fussed about flying in Y (would rather save budget for a 5* hotel).

Looking to get to the Maldives next year for cheapest possible, but with flexibility of Avios considering Covid uncertainties. I notice that BA now allows you to offset taxes/fees with Avios.

So instead of 65K Avios + £780 for LHR-MLE return in Y (2 x Adults @ 32.5K Avios each), we can redeem 120K Avios + £300 and various combinations in the middle.

Questions:

1) How would an Amex 241 voucher work with the above scenario? Presumably it would only work with the “full” taxes/fees scenario, in other words if I paid £195 to upgrade to BA Premium and trigger the voucher, the quote would then be 32,500 Avios + £780 for the two of us? Would I lose the option to pay more Avios to reduce the taxes/fees element?

2) Does offsetting the taxes/fees with Avios still give the same cancellation flexibility e.g. £35 cancellation and all my cash + Avios would be refunded without hassle?

By my calculation I effectively have 3 options:

Option A) 120K Avios + £300
    Option B) 65K Avios + £780
    Option C) 32.5K Avios + £975 (by the time I’ve triggered 241 voucher)

Make sense….?!

• Dave says:

No sure about the tax question but when doing your calculations I would make sure you consider:
      1. you can upgrade to get the voucher then downgrade/cancel for a pro-rata refund
      2. avios are worth 0.8p at Argos/Sainsburys/ebay

• rjn21 says:

Re Curve. My card is due to expire at the end of July. I received the email saying we will send your new card to your account’s registered address (fine – the address is correct).

I haven’t received any new physical card, and the app soft card still has an expiry of July 2021.

For those that have received natural date expiry replacement cards, have you received them prior to the expiry of your current card and did you need to prod Curve to send it? TIA

• Crafty says:

Mine came late, but I didn’t have to prod.

Double check they have the right address. IME Curve holds two addresses for you, an account address and a delivery address, and when you update your address after moving house they don’t always update both.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Yes, this is important. Easy way to check is topup Ernie a bit as they check the post code against your card’s.

• BP says:

Mine expires end of the month also. Have had to prod them (no email received). Hoping my limit doesn’t get reset!!