Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 23rd July

Comments (384)

• Dylan says:

Easiest way to upgrade “free” BA Card to BA PP and trigger the 2-4-1 having already spent £10K in my card year? Is there an option via Amex online?

• NG says:

You have to call the amex no on the back of your BA card

• C says:

I have previously done this by just making a new application for the PP online, and it recognizes that you have an existing card and upgrades it rather than issuing another. Can anyone confirm it can still be done this way?

• Rupert says:

Yes did this two weeks ago after confirming on the phone that it’s the right way

• Jason says:

Anyone had issues buying apple store gift cards for the regent street Amex offer?

No email notification when I bought £360 of giftcard yesterday (120 x 3 Amex cards)

• Youllnever says:

No issues here when I bought £120 – triggered fine and £20 credit showing on my statement. I didn’t receive the email notification.

• Reney says:

Did you go to the counter or pay one of those people with ipads?

• Youllnever says:

Asked the sales people whether they had a fixed terminal and they said they didn’t – simply purchased it on one of their iPhone terminal thing.

• Reney says:

glad it worked, apparently there is something on the amex T&C saying it only worked on the fix terminal.

• Youllnever says:

Yeah I was banking on the fact that the T&C said iPad/tablet terminals not working, and if the credit didn’t trigger, I could argue that I paid via an iPhone terminal and not a tablet.

• Jason says:

Thanks very insightful

• LessCleverAndrew says:

Off topic question: does anyone have experience insuring the other halfs’ car? We are replacing a family car and I dont want to have to swap her car into my name to keep my insurance record intact.

• JDB says:

I insure my wife’s car as well as my own – I wasn’t clear if you were talking about two cars or one. I use Admiral multi-car which seems like a good deal when I check the renewal each year. When I first put her on the policy she had no NCB (and I had two cars, so no NCB to swap), but they gave her six years, which was a good start. My stepmother just insured a car in her name for the first time (quite good going at 85) and they gave her two years NCB. Also, for what it’s worth we originally moved to Admiral because they have a good arrangement for adding learner (or passed) teenagers on a weekly basis which worked well for us.

• LessCleverAndrew says:

She is buying an electric but we need to keep her existing car as its the family estate and sell mine. (Long story). Since she is the registered keeper of the estate, I want to take over the insurance. I am the one who drives it anyway

• Matt says:

That’s no problem at all. There’s a question on the insurance form of are you the owner/keeper

• TGLoyalty says:

You don’t have to be the registered keeper to insurance a vehicle

• John_H says:

Flying LHR to PHL in business class tomorrow morning on AA.
    Does anyone know the current situation regarding lounges and food/drinks on the flight?

• Princess says:

Looking for advice
    Is anyone aware of a change of rules on transferring points from Amex to Radisson?
    After 20 days and 3 calls to Radisson and 3 calls to Amex today Amex told me that the transfer rate is changed from 1 Amex to 3 Radisson to 1 Amex to 1 Radisson….
    I transferred point on the 2nd and 3rd of July and the website clearly said 1 to 3…
    Of course I didn’t take a screenshot but I even used the calculator to check…
    Any advice what should I do? I asked to escalate it and they told me that a manger will all me within 2 business days

• Luke says:

Pretty sure this is an error. Transfers are currently disabled and Rob said this was because conversions were going through 1:1 and not 1:3

• Princess says:

Thank you @Luke. Just to clarify: do you mean the points transfer has been suspended because Radisson is changing the rate to 1:1 from now on, or it’s suspended because it’s not working correctly but should still be 1:3?
        Sorry I missed Rob’s comments on this

• Rob says:

Latter it seems.

• Princess says:

Thanks Rob. I hope they can solve the issue. I’m really upset I transferred 100000 points to book an hotel at the end of July. I wouldn’t have transferred them at 1:1

• BuildBackBetter says:

I have the same problem and was advised it’s an error and 1:3 is the correct rate.

• Ron says:

Just seen Guernsey changed their entry requirement for fully vaccinated traveller, they require supervised pre-travel PCR or Lateral Flow test before departing for Guernsey. There is no more info anywhere yet, details will be announce on 27/7.

• TGLoyalty says:

Malta to announce changes soon too. Can’t be out done on the entry changes Hokey Cokey

• Harrier25 says:

Best to just holiday abroad in Wales for the time being, me thinks.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Or the ROI 🙂

• Keely says:

Any info on this TGI? I’m flying out Sunday , hopefully we will bypass this 🤞

• TGLoyalty says:

It was just in jest as they both take the piss with changes.

Hope your travel goes well.

• Boi says:

Any promos for getting amazon gift cards?

• Boi says:

And any tips on buying paint cheap? I am repainting whole house. Just need magnolia.