Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 23rd July

Comments (384)

• VickyTM says:

I have a 2 week stay booked at the IC Cancun next month. I’m interested in peoples opinions of if it is worth buying the InterContinental Ambassador status? What is the likelihood that I’d get upgraded? I know it comes with IHG platinum status, but I’ll achieve that with this stay anyway. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

• Harrier25 says:

You get a Guaranteed upgrade to the next room level with Ambassador status.

• Rob says:

… or 10,000 points if the hotel decides its cheaper to give you the compensation payment rather than upgrade you for 2 weeks.

• Harrier25 says:

That sounds like IHG. Next it’ll be a free drink and a bag of crisps from the bar!

• Rob says:

If you have a night flight back the guaranteed 4pm check-out may justify it.

• ChrisC says:

You might get more value from booking via Emyr

But the Best Advance Rate he uses may bump up the cost compared to your existing rate

You’d get an upgrade plus breakfast ans $100 room credit.

• Anna says:

Hotels starting to drop $100 credit and not all offer breakfast any more either 😥

• Clive says:

Just a suggestion. Out of the hotel onto the beach and turn right. Next hotel along has a restaurant on the beach. Great food and a lovely setting.

Navios down the bottom of the hotel zone is a lovely restaurant with great service and food.

• VickyTM says:

Great – Thanks for everyone’s input. I did liaise with Emyr, but the price jump was quite high. I’ll definitely check out the restaurant. Thanks

• Chris says:

If I’m booking a CW trip for 2 adults and a child, whats the best use of a 241 voucher and avios? Can I book the two adults using avios and the 241 and then pay cash for the child seat or would I be forced to pay for an adult on the cash fare?

• BuildBackBetter says:

If the child is less than 2 years old, you cannot book a ticket just for the child.
      If greater than 2 years old, it doesn’t matter anyway as the child will require a full ticket (no discounts). It then becomes a cash vs avios question. Nothing to do with child.

• Anna says:

I’ve found the best way of doing it is to use the 241 for one adult and the child (if over 2) and buy a cash ticket for the 2nd adult for the avios and TPs. But if you can find 3 avios seats and cash prices are very high, you can put all 3 on one avios booking.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Anyone recently requested Amex supplementary card using the latest bonus offer and received points? I got just the usual points and no bonus yet.

• Bill says:

I got the full 3000 points shortly after approval. Did you use the special signup link?

• tonyb says:

How much did you need to spend for the bonus avios?

• BuildBackBetter says:

Forgot the spend requirements. Thanks for reminding me

• Matty says:

I’m staying at a new Hilton property over the weekend It recently opened and it’s not on the list of properties on the current Amex promotion. Any chance my £200 spend will trigger the £50 cαshbαck offer?

• Clem Fandango says:

I’m going to be at T5 for an 0700 flight on Saturday 7th, so planning on using twilight check-in on the 6th, probably around 6pm.

I’m BA Silver so can use Zone H.

But would this be faster than checking in online and using bag drop?

• Optimus Prime says:

You may not be able to check-in online at all if they want to see your covid tests/proof of vaccine.

• Ski_Sunday says:

Huge incompetence at American Express Brighton call centre, 4 phone calls made by me on the same issue and twice the promised call back has not been made. Now they want me to wait for again for a call bback that may never come…Has anyone else had issues with card spend being associated with the wrong card membership year? On my BA Premium Plus card the transaction dated 12thJuly @00:25 has been posted as made on the 11thJuly, which for me was the previous card year.

• Clive says:

Do you only get a supplementary bonus on the first card with Amex?

• Harrier25 says:

Unfortunately yes.

• VerdantBacon says:

Officially yes, unofficially if you use the link and order another one it often gives the bonus again. Though of course if it doesn’t, you can’t really ask them for it. Never hurts to try though.

• Toppcat says:

easyJet has just cancelled my LGW to OPO for my SSDV stay, and put us on the 07.25 LTN flight instead… Gah. Not ideal when you live in Sahf London…

Thinking about just sticking with it, as the other flight options aren’t great. Where would people recommend as an airport hotel at LTN the night before? We’ve got a young baby, so a very early cab to LTN probably isn’t the right option. Looks like the HIX, ibis and Courtyard are closest?

• TGLoyalty says:

Can’t complain from what I’ve seen of the courtyard.

• Bagoly says:

I found myself needing to book four (consecutive) nights at LTN – only in Covid world.
        Courtyard by Marriott definitely looked the nicest, so that’s where we will be (assuming that by 24 hours before our departure the UK government starts to recognise furrien vaccination certificates)

• George K says:

Courtyard is nice – clean rooms and fairly spacious.