Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 23rd July

Comments (384)

• S says:

Looking at booking the Conrad St James’ 3-4-2 rate via Emyr. I’m Hilton gold myself but are upgrades likelier when booking through Virtuoso/Impresario agents?

Also what experiences have folks here had at Conrad St James’, particularly anyone recently been?

Thanks in advance

• Harry T says:

Hilton Gold doesn’t often score a decent upgrade, from what I’ve heard (I’m diamond from Hampton stays lol). I think combining status with a preferred partner rate should lead to a good upgrade but it’s always down to the hotel. In the Marriott universe, I’ve gotten very little in the way of upgrades from STARS rates – status and hustle goes further. However, it’s worth booking the preferred partner rates if the extra benefits and deals add genuine value for you.

• Harry T says:

Yeah, sounds like you have worked out a solid plan there. Tbh the best advice I can give to score an upgrade is to proactively and politely ask for one. You’d be surprised how many hotels will give you a better upgrade if you ask for one!

• Cabal Of Rabid Baboons says:

S, the £80 bar credit isn’t to be sniffed at either?

• Njb says:

Just had the exact sane stay. Upgrade to King Club so one level upgrade – don’t know whether that was from the Gold or Emyr!
      Gave us club lounge access which was great.
      Spent the $100 credit on a couple of lunches. Mall in all was a great deal.

• Yorkshire Rich says:

I’m looking at utilising emyr”s deal and looking at the biltmore at Mayfair. emyr did email me saying the Berkeley is better but I’m not swayed when you look at the significant extra in cost.

The cost he has quoted me with benefits are similar to my Hilton gold membership though so not sure if it is worth booking through him on this occasion or not. It would definitely go towards my status nights wouldn’t it?

• Andy says:

Any insights on when BA may resume short haul flights out of Gatwick? Looks like they have a pretty heavy schedule out of LGW for Q1 next year but I don’t want to end up with a BA flight out of LHR . Last I saw is they don’t plan to resume flights before November

• Olly says:

Anyone know if the current HSBC transfer points bonus is valid on UK issued cards or whether the current offer is just for NA issued ones?

If anyone has transferred points lately would love to hear from you

• LST says:

Hi. Think it’s only the USA and Canada, they ran the same offer last Autumn. I did a transfer then to see if I got a bonus, I didn’t 🙁

• Anna says:

Apologies if mentioned already, SeatSpy appears to be moving to a pay-only service, there’s an offer for about £3 per month until August 6th (got an email this afternoon).

• Ed says:

Rob will this impact on the seatspy widget built into hfp?

• Rob says:

No idea – need to ask Rhys as he has the day to day relationship. Not heard anything though.

• aDifferentSimon says:

BA paid version retention offer of 1 extra point / £ for three months. I’ve just ticked over a new year. Didn’t think it was the great to be honest (for me as my bills are ~£2k -> £60 of points) so cancelled card. Offered via chat. Tried on phone same offer.

• AnotherUser says:

Thinking about a city or beach break abroad, leaving from Scotland in the next month. Both fully vaxed, with NHS certificates. We’ve had cancelled easyJet flights to Spain and Croatia, so could potentially move those…but can also pay cash for a flight. Any ideas for somewhere that’s comfortable in the summer weather and accessible without a car? If it’s a beach break, would like somewhere near some non-beach stuff to see 🙂

We’ve got IHG Spire status and Hilton gold, and around 100k IHG points, but also quite happy with a non-chain place. Any suggestions would be great! Was thinking about Dubrovnik, but not sure how crowded it’ll be.

• Bagoly says:

Must the flights be direct?
      “comfortable in the summer weather” and from Scotland => you don’t want it too hot?
      So Baltic Coast?
      Germans and Poles tend to overpay for their own coasts (presumably because they can drive, so take the dog and grandmother aka babysitter), but perhaps Balts (taxi) or Sweden/Finland (train)?
      Cities: Prague, Budapest, Krakow. Forecast is for an August notably cooler than recent years.

• Bagoly says:

Malta?

Some of these flights in August with Ryanair are (before “extras”) extremely cheap – will they fly them or cancel them?
        Wizzair has recently cancelled lots of flights.

• Matthew says:

RYR are flying a lot of routes at the moment. They may consolidate your flight but it has a good chance of going if available for sale.

• Harry T says:

Barcelona is pleasant at the moment – it’s lively enough but not overrun. Offers a good combination of beach and city break.

• AnotherUser says:

Thanks Harry and Bagoly. I should have been clearer about weather – I guess sub-30C and not too humid…ideally with water get into or things to do out of the heat, if it is hot. We would want direct flights this time – it’s our first flight for a good while…

Barcelona could be a good call – enjoyed visiting before 🙂 Likewise Prague if the forecast isn’t too hot, and been hoping to get back to Budapest some time. Might wait until a few days before and just pick somewhere where whether looks pleasant 🙂