Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 24th July

Comments (257)

• Thomas Toomse Smith says:

car rental excess – We are off soon to visit family in Estonia, it is on the Amber list. I usually get an annual or single trip rental excess insurance, but all the policies the i have looked at exclude countries where their is a fcdo advisory on. Estonia is on the advisory list even though it is actually much lower rates than the UK. Any one have any ideas?

• Nick says:

Buy it locally? Or find a specialist company that will cover you against government advice?

Case rates have no bearing on insurance cover, as I’m sure you know. Government advice does, regardless of whether you personally agree with it.

• Vern says:

If it’s not a lengthy trip with a high category car I think I’d just settle for paying the extra insurance to the car rental company and remove the excess that way.

• Sandgrounder says:

Carhireexcess.co.uk should work fine, consider emailing/calling them first to double check nothing has changed before you push the button.

• pauldb says:

Have you looked at hiring through a broker, who often try and sell you their own cheaper excess cover. First one o tried Auto Europe seem to want £30 for a week with no obvious exclusion.

• Anna says:

Would it be worth getting Amex Platinum for a couple of months, especially as there are some good sign up offers around. I think one of the benefits is excess car hire cover.

• Nick says:

Amex doesn’t cover travel against government advice. Pretty sure this extends to the car hire section too.

• Martin says:

We are double jabbed, ages ago..
    On the way back to UK,
    I know we have to have a test before we fly,
    Which type of tests does it have to be.
    Day 2 test is all sorted.
    But I can’t find anywhere what is accepted
    for the return flight back to UK apart from a test is needed

• Keely says:

Morning all at T5 tomorrow morning – I know I’m limited in options but which is the best lounge to use please? Galleries North or South..? Thanks

• roberto says:

I don’t think both will be open. It could be that neither is open and you will be using the First lounge.

• Keely says:

Thanks all, using twilight bag drop this evening so I’ll ask

• babyg_wc says:

North was closed when the airport is quiet, but travel has picked up a lot, so probably will be open today, id ask if the checking in staff know which is open, south was rammed 2 weeks ago when I passed through..

• Vern says:

We were there Monday and north and first in use. Both very very busy. We had a couple of drinks and something to eat then sat downstairs where it was deserted.

• Dave1985 says:

It’s freedom weekend!

• Andrew says:

Hopefully the rain will keep people at home.

• Dave1985 says:

🤣

• Dave1985 says:

Going to any raves this weekend Andrew? Freedom!

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Went to the races last night. It was great, actually.
          Rick Astley was on after … does Rickrolling count as a rave?

• Dave1985 says:

Nice one. Good to see some positivity as a result of freedom week!

No reason to whine now. Freedom!

• Yorkie Aid says:

I could hear that racket in my garden!

• ankomonkey says:

Today I recommend:

1. Brighton Beach featuring Chase & Status, SASASAS, Kings Of The Rollers, Bou, Pendulum, Hybrid Minds, Dimension and more

OR

2. Macky Gee at Hangar34, Liverpool

• Sandra says:

We’ve just spent a few, extremely hot for sightseeing, days in Bath. Felt perfectly safe. Mask wearing was still requested indoors at sites like the Roman Baths, museums etc & the majority of people seemed to have no objection to it. Most major attractions seem to still be book in advance with a time slot with a few spaces kept for on the day walk ins. Bath itself was very busy and it did feel good to have some semblance of normality.

• Mike says:

Happy Freedom Weekend- it has been a long time coming, many dark moments, many sad moments, a few terrifying moments but we are all through the tunnel. Now let’s make the most it

• Pete M says:

I know Luton may not be the no1 favourite airport on here, but the new people mover from the railway station to the terminal is coming along nicely:

I think it’ll make a really fundamental difference to the experience when arriving by train!

• Jamil says:

I had a reward flight booking for Atlanta tomorrow, which of course I was not going on. I was thinking of taking the Travel Voucher as they offered an incentive upgrade/companion voucher etc. In the then I decided to get a refund. The myriad of options and lack of destinations with Virgin Atlantic means I thought it was better than having some voucher hanging over me and feeling like I should use it. I wish Virgin flew to Tokyo still. I’d be there in a flash!

• Michael C says:

With Greece testing everyone on arrival…would that mean that if one person from a flight tests positive, everyone on that flight has to isolate on arrival?

• Pete M says:

That is what I have heard, but others on here didn’t seem to agree, although I don’t believe either view is based on first-hand knowledge. It would make sense to isolate everyone, if you really think about it…

• Michael C says:

That’s what I thought (just asking for sis in Oct.)

• Pablo says:

They don’t have the capacity to isolate plane loads of people. It would only be a couple of rows around at best.

• David L says:

Does anyone have a referral link for the 70,000 membership rewards sign up offer on the platinum card that they wouldn’t mind sharing with me?

• Steve says:

Sure, e-mail sp191919 at outlook dot com and I’ll reply with the link.