Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 24th July

Comments (257)

• Anony says:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of 5 star hotels in London that have rooms with a balcony and permit smoking on said balcony?

• Yorkieflyer says:

Sat by the old harbour in Mykonos glass of wine in hand enjoying sun and meltemi. Very quiet ezy maybe quarter full flight from Manchester this morning. Hands free bag drop a breeze, £5 fast track security definitely worthwhile, queuing back to normal and a good third being pulled for secondary checks.Manchester living up to its reputation for the best deco experience of any UK airport.
    Biggest shock was getting into the Escape lounge with PP!

• Anuj says:

Best deco experience?

• Yorkieflyer says:

Can’t remember tbh, autocorrect and lunchtime drinking

• Anna says:

Can’t wait for the MAN security experience … I bet they’ve really missed humiliating and abusing pax …

• Yorkieflyer says:

Luckily the EasyJet hands free was good for queue jumping at checkin and only being able to minimise hand luggage helped though they were certainly approaching the secondary searches with the usual ruthless glee it seemed. Couple of years ago I assumed it was all overreaction to them being caught out by tests and the real incident. Now sadly I agree they just greatly enjoy degrading and humiliating folk unable to complain. I was transfixed at the other side of the scanner wondering which way my bag would be directed

• Nick says:

MAN security are horrendous, true, but there is definitely a ‘rhyme and reason’ to which bags are selected for secondary screening. If you fly from there regularly it’s well worth thinking about what it is in your bag that triggers it, and get those things out each time – if you put them separately in a tray, it won’t get pulled aside. Since I did that I’ve never been subjected to it and I flew down regularly for the couple of years pre-covid.

• TJones says:

This is the only way. You almost have to put every item in a tray of its own. They have a real fetish for inhalers too.

• TJones says:

On the plus side, I did once share a moment with Kenny Dalglish at T3 when both of us had bags sent to secondary.

• Anna says:

Diving regulators send them into conniptions. You can see their minds actually frying as they try and find a reason to object to them.

• Russ says:

Is there a trick to get round Amex’s one time passcode appearing every blasted time? It’s no fun anymore.

• Tariq says:

Isn’t there a tick box to setup trusted device?

• Rob says:

There is but in my experience it doesn’t work well. It wouldn’t surprise me if it works by IP address and not by device, despite what they say, so that every time you swap wi-fi network or 5G tower it asks again.

That said, it has been better behaved in the last few weeks.

• Russ says:

IP sounds more likely. Going to have to delegate the job to someone!

Thanks Tariq and Rob.

• Russ says:

There was but it never worked and now gone.

• Anuj says:

I’m guessing you have a iPhone ? I think it’s one of the privacy options in safari, something like do not track or no cookies that’s causing many websites to ask over and over, fine on my non iOS devices

• Yorkieflyer says:

Arrival at JMK a breeze. Non schenghen a blessing for once, the intra schenghen queue was back onto the apron. A roving policeman checking QR code and double vacs certificate and waved to the border for a stamp in passport with no mask removed….whilst queuing for the €2 bus to town entertained by a Gulfair arrival and its blingy pax

• Russ says:

There was but it never worked and now gone.

• a270 says:

I have a Marriot Travel Package for Cat 1-4. Is there some way to book a Cat 5 by paying the difference in points/price? Cat 1-4 in the USA are just so tired/gloomy, at least the ones in the state I’m looking at.

• Gary says:

Trying to book day “2” test coming back fr Balearics (am fully vaccinated) at LHR on arrival via HfP Expresstest link. The Amber day 2 for fully vaccinated said “coming soon” so unable to click. When trying to book day 2 coming fr Green – it explicitly said you shouldn’t book if coming fr Amber. What should one do? Ps Rhys was coming fr Balerics when he wrote the review, but not sure if it went Amber then.

• TGLoyalty says:

There’s no difference in the test

Are they trying to make more money?

• meta says:

I booked the green day 2 after checking whether it was ok with the provider. Expert Medicals seemed ok with it.

• Anna says:

Ordered all ours from Expert Medicals, it’s the same test.

• Zoe says:

Still waiting for 2 out of 3 of our Expert Medicals tests to email to say they have been despatched or arrive.

• BJ says:

Can anybody here report their experience of flights on Delta 767-300 in Y? Given the short duration, convenient schedule, and 232 seat configuration, I am tempted to use it for for direct flights from EDI-JFK.next summer. Direct in Y is more appealing than an early morning departure via LHR to use avios in premium cabin that adds 5h onto the journey. I don’t want to use 90k Virgin miles to East Coast USA, and price of business seats doesn’t work. Are upgrades usually available for cash and if so, are they worth it? Thanks.

• AJA says:

My brother flew Delta in Y LHR to BOS about 3 years ago, just over 7 hour flight. He’s 6ft1 and found the seat OK but the legroom wasn’t great. He luckily had an aisle seat so stuck his legs into the aisle a few times. He didn’t comment on the food or the service but I guess he ate it. Came back on Virgin and said that was slightly better.

• BJ says:

Thanks, I’m short so legroom isn’t so critical for me. Even so, it is still tight if anything is in the seatback pockets. Anybody over even 5’10 has my sympathy in Y.

• Andrew says:

Did EDI-BOS a few times back in 2019 on Delta (hand luggage only).

What can I say. It’s all much of a muchness when it comes to the physical economy seat for transatlantic whether you’re flying United, Delta, BA or Virgin. 2-3-2 is always more comfortable though. The Delta entertainment system is much better than BA.

The food and drink is significantly better.

Probably most important of all. It’s never taken me more than 30 minutes from touch-down to be standing outside EDI from a US flight. Quickest was under 15 with hand luggage.

• BJ says:

Thanks, the 232 is a big factor, my preferred configuration if I ever fly Y as it works well for couples and is even OK if stuck in the middle three. Wouldn’t contemplate narrow body 3+3 in Y for 7h such as UA. Not sure if AA will resume a service from EDI or GLA, if it did then I would use avios in J. From years ago I always foubd around 8h in Y was fine but anything over that ahd it started to feel really uncomfortable.