Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 25th July

Comments (359)

• Victor says:

Can I claim a refund for a flight booked using a FTV?
    I accepted an FTV earlier this year after deciding not to proceed with our holiday plans, and now regret the decision and wish I would have asked for a refund (~60,000 avios + ~£1,400 tied up).
    I know I can’t ask for a refund from the FTV directly, but what’s to stop me from using the FTV for a new “random” booking for slightly more avios & £ than currently on the FTV, and then promptly cancelling that booking and asking for a refund (and only paying £35 fee for each person on the booking while getting all my avios + money back)?
    OR, does the fact that I currently have an FTV mean that I can now never actually get a proper refund for any booking using this FTV (hope not!)
    Thanks for any insight

• Sam G says:

If it’s an avios FTV you can get a refund for the £35 fee by calling, you don’t need to rebook a flight

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Easiest option is pick a route that you know will be cancelled (or at least stands a good chance of being cancelled), as soon as the cancellation happens you can get cash and points back. The worst case scenario is the flight doesn’t cancel so you have to cancel yourself and get a FTV again, but there’s so many flights being cancelled this should be easy to do

• Matt says:

I think you may be able to get a refund straight from the FTV, at the cost of the cancellation fees. If you rebook another flight that is then cancelled you can definitely get a refund.

• Pete M says:

I can’t see a reason why you couldn’t do what you suggest – worst case you’d end up with another FTV, but don’t think that will happen. I would expect the refund to take a while, though, as it’ll need to be done manually.

• Rob says:

I believe that you can ring BA and they will turn your FTV back into a redemption ticket and you can immediately pay the £35 cancellation fee and get everything back. No need to mess about with a fake booking.

• Nick G says:

Thanks all. Appreciate the comments however read that the DT Harrogate has some bad reviews so put me off. Pity as it’s only an hour from me.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

I stayed here on someone else’s money not that long after reopening. Like many old buildings, the downstairs bar/lobby is very fancy, but the rooms are a mixed bag despite refurb and if you scratch underneath the new paint there’s some very elderly stuff there. One person’s dated compromise is another person’s quirky charm of course.
      If you want a leftfield Yorkshire suggestion, try the brand new Hampton Piccadilly in York. Location 5 min walk from most things, and they’ve been open 2-3 months now so knocked out the inevitable opening issues; these issues are still dragging down their review ratings so prices haven’t caught up yet…

• Mike says:

Nick G – if it is Harrogate you are after try the Premier Inn right next to the Hilton and brand new – air conditioned – good value for money

• xcalx says:

” If you are a Red (no status) member, you need to pay 50% of the points for your 2nd ticket if you redeem your 2-4-1 voucher in Upper Class. This means that, for Upper Class redemptions for Red members, it is effectively a ‘2 for 1.5’ voucher.” ( this is from an old HFP article)

Is the above still the case or is the voucher a genuine 2 for 1 since August 2020 , thanks.

• Reney says:

what you have there is the new changes, yesterday’s article mentioned something similar.

before the changes as red status you can’t even redeem it on upper class. it is a genuine 2 for 1 on economy if you are red status.

• xcalx says:

Thanks for the replies.

I had found 2 upper seats LHR-BGI-LHR for 250000 plus tax .I have 2 vouchers. Is this how the vouchers works, use 2 vouchers plus 187500 miles plus taxes.

• Reney says:

since there are availabilities you have two choices i think:
        1. you would pay 2* miles for PE and use 2 vouchers to upgrade both to UC
        2. or pay 187500 miles and use 1 voucher as 2 for 1

the taxes should be the same, so it is a choice of miles vs using up 2 vouchers. My previous booking experience is that option 1 takes less miles but use more vouchers, option 2 takes more miles but less voucher.

• xcalx says:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can’t see us needing to keep the second voucher. Have just had a look at the chart and it looks like one flight is off peak so 90000 total plus taxes to upgrade and use 2 vouchers if my workings out are correct. Thanks for your help.

• xcalx says:

Sorry think thats 90k eash so not such a great saving to use 2 vouchers.

• xcalx says:

*each and am thinking 45k each now.

• Reney says:

I found flights per person 55k for PE and 95k UC in feb 2022

So for 2 ppl:

option 1 would be 110k plus 2 vouchers
            option 2 would be 142.5k plus 1 voucher

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

Morning, anyone looking for a few nights in the sun and can take advantage of HH double points purchase offer or are HH points rich, you might want to look at the Conrad Algarve. Excellent hotel, brilliant service and very Covid aware/safe. The purchase double points offer makes the rates more bearable. In Hotel testing also for return to UK.

• Barnaby100 says:

It’s ok. Stayed last summer. Some very entitled and rude guests.

• Kevin says:

Morning all, could HfD experts can advise whether 1) IHG 2x or 3x base points offer would count towards elite status.
    2) I did recall purchase bonus points package via stay would count towards elite status. Is this still the case?
    TIA

• Pete M says:

No on the first one.

• Peter K says:

Not sure what the D in HfD is but the answer is yes to the 2nd question. Not all hotels offer bonus status points options however.

• Kevin says:

Sorry slip my finger while lying in bed and typing on a mobile phone

Thanks for the confirmation both Peters

• Anna says:

I’ve just used up mine and my OH’s stashes of Bonvoy points as we’re unlikely ever to be eligible for SPG Amex sign up bonuses again! 5 nights at the Westin Grand Cayman next summer (if the island ever re-opens!) which is a no-brainer as cash rates are $600+ per night.
    Then used the remaining points from both our accounts for 3 nights at the Hotel de Berri in Paris in December – has anyone stayed there (we are both Bonvoy gold atm)? It looks very nice and allows you to book a deluxe room sleeping 3 on points which a lot of high end Paris hotels won’t let you do.

• Nick says:

Good shout on Paris, most hotel rooms there are teeny so if you can get one for the 3 of you then bargain! Hope you get to go by then 😊

• Swifty says:

Sounds lovely Anna, and are you going to stay at your property there too? Could I ask you to pm me, have a private q that think you may be able to help me with. Email is bodyspa 88 at Yahoo. Com. Thanks.

• Anna says:

Our property lol – well hopefully our timeshare! If we could afford an actual property we’d be moving there.

• swifty says:

still sounds amazing. I’m just looking at booking something round Avebury and Cambridge with my daughter this holiday.

• Anna says:

Lots of good National Trust places down there (including Stonehenge) if you’re considering joining. Can’t get your email to work!

• YC says:

I tried De Berri on a BRG rate and was upgraded to a junior suite (plat). I have no complains about the hard product or service but it does not have that grand feeling of a luxurious Parisian hotel (little amenities, located on a back street, office looking building). The thing I remember was in the shower u could put in these soap/fragrance pods to directly feed the shower water. Nice novelty and have never come across this again! However, ignoring the 3 adults policy, I’m not sure its worth 85-100k points/night in non peak Dec IMO. PdG is an alternative (twin room can fit 3 which looks tight and is 85k+90euros) but not personally tried

• Vin says:

Hilton Malta – clean luxurious and the rooms are spacious – several notches above Hilton’s various offerings in the UK.
    Exec lounge has a great breakfast – table service and a served hot food counter, cold and hot beverages all day, afternoon high tea from 3-5pm, evening cocktails and canapés 6-8pm where you’re meant to reserve a 1 hour slot … but 🙂
    Huge well equipped gym with nice Spa and Hammam. Free underground car parking if you plan to drive/hire. Top 3 exec floors – sea facing rooms are also pools facing so can get hot/noisy , Marina facing feel more private/quieter .

• RM84 says:

This is great to hear, thanks for sharing. I’ve got a points stay booked end of August. If they’re still letting us in by then, that is…

• John says:

Yes a lovely hotel, but go in March and October (precovid) and pay €100 per night instead of €200-€300 (haven’t checked this year’s rates), and prefer the weather then compared to the height of summer too