Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 25th July

Comments (359)

• Celia Green says:

Sorry re above – it wasn’t the same flight number

• Celia Green says:

Sorry – re above it was 0863 that had to be changed to 0861.

• s879 says:

When using a 2 for 1, is it possible to have a stopover on the return leg? I am flying back from Atlanta to London in August but there is a 2 hours stopover. Will BA be able to make that a 2 days stopover or is that not possible?

• SteveJ says:

Yes, if you call, but this will count as a change and you’ll of course need Avios availability on the proposed new date and need to stump up and avios and fees differential as well as a change fee.

• Magarathea says:

Doesn’t the BA “Booking with confidence” policy remove change fees for booking changes?

• Anna says:

A stopover where? Usually the only place you can do a stopover on a 241 booking is London.

• Anna says:

Looking at that again, I’m not sure what you’re asking s879. If you were flying ATL-LHR-MAN it would be possible to stop over in London, for example.

• s879 says:

Sorry, there is a stopover in Chicago on my way from Atlanta to London. I booked the ticket earlier today so change fee won’t apply if I call within 24 hours. However, don’t want them asking for more Avios though so might just stick to the original booking.

• Anna says:

How are you doing that on a 241 booking? I didn’t think BA did internal US flights.

• s879 says:

Sorry Anna, my mind is not switched on. I got rerouting on AA so it’s not a direct flight.

• Saiz says:

Had my original BA flights cancelled so rerouted on AA. It’s showing Terminal 5 but I can’t seem to book the Airportr bag collection service. Is it just for BA?

• Nick says:

Yes it’s just BA – Airportr arranges with airlines rather than terminals/airport operators.

• ChrisC says:

IIRC airportr wants to know your airline and then the flight number as part of the booking.

They offer their services to a number of airlines not just BA.

I’ve priced up a hotel collection for delivery on to an AA LHR departure no problem.

• Saiz says:

I did enter my flight number but they said they are not offering the service on it so I’m not sure what the selection criteria is. This is a flight to the USA.

• TJ says:

Does anyone have recent experience of how long it takes for the 2-4-1 voucher to show in an account after achieving a Virgin CC spend target?

• Tom says:

Normally it will go in in the same day your points do in your next credit card statement.

• David says:

For anyone interested arrival at Malta was super smooth landing to taxi in 15 mins (inc luggage) super slick form and vaccination checkin.

• MM says:

Hi

I would like to book Hamptons Torquay for mid August for 5 nights. The current points rate is 40,000/night. I was thinking of buying 80,000 points with a 100% bonus offer at a cost of $800 (£580). That still only buys me 4 nights. We are Amex/Gold members. How do we take advantage of 5th nights free? Is there a better strategy? Book through Emyr? Assume we get free continental breakfast? thanks for your help

• Yuff says:

You’ll only be charged 160k for the 5 nights,
      It will automatically give you the 5th night free when booking

• TGLoyalty says:

What’s the cash rate?

• MM says:

Non flex £226/night and flex £260/night. Anyone here have Hilton points they may not be able to use and want to sell (if its not against rules!)?

• Anna says:

Some Hamptons are indeed over £200 per night over the next couple of months, we’ve booked one of York ones for September at 40k per night, cash rate £207!
          I doubt Emyr does his rates with Hampton properties lol, but all guests get free breakfast anyway. 5 nights for £580 sounds a decent deal, though if you’re HH gold or above you need to consider whether it’s worth foregoing the points you’d otherwise earn.

• MM says:

I dont think the property is worth the cash rate; no spa/pool/lounge etc so happy to forego the potential points. Good to know bfast is included and thanks for the clarification on 5th night free.

• TGLoyalty says:

Sounds like a clear winner. If that’s the best place available for c£120 a night (I very much imagine it is)

• Yorkie Aid says:

Breakfast is free for everyone at Hampton Inns

• Mark2 says:

Are you a HHonors member; I think this is required to get 5 for 4

• Rob says:

Anyone else can buy the rest and transfer for free online via Points Pooling.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

If you definitely want to go down the points route why not set up another Hilton Honors account, buy extra points in that and then pool them? Pooling is free and I think you can receive up to 2Mi a year into your account

• MM says:

Currently I can buy 160,000 points which should be for 4 nights and get the 5th night free. That should do for this trip. thanks

• Rob says:

Is there a rule on how new accounts need to be before they can buy?

• MM says:

Dont know. However, we do have my wife’s account also if we need to buy more points. However, i found an ebay seller willing to sell 160,000 points for $700; saving $100! i assume its a good deal for the seller if they cant use the points themselves.

• Peter K says:

Check the Hilton t&c’s to make sure they don’t mind you doing this. You don’t want to lose your booking for $100.

• Rob says:

You need to form a points pool with them for the transfer to be done – not sure what the risk is there – but probably OK. Worth the risk for $100? Dunno.

• MM says:

I agree not worth the risk for $100. Going ahead to buy points and book directly. Thanks all of you

• Tom says:

Marriott Healthcare rate, my partner is a healthier worker, how many rooms can she book? Can’t see any terms regarding this! Need 3 but don’t want to book them and then be told each room needs a healthcare worker!

• TGLoyalty says:

Depends is it 3 rooms for you 2+some u18’s or for 3 couples?

Imagine first would be fine send they may ask for the other to produce healthcare IDs

• Tom says:

Would be 3 different couples, i guess no harm in sending an email and asking! Thanks!

• Harry T says:

I’ve booked two rooms before under the healthcare rate (in Edinburgh). I was asked for NHS ID but my friends staying in the other room weren’t – however, they are also both doctors, so there was no risk. I checked in for both rooms before everyone else arrived.