Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 25th July

Comments (359)

• YC says:

Anyone tried to use the Maybourne amex offer for F&B or Spa? Or based on previous berkeley/connought offer?

• TGLoyalty says:

The hotel and bars deffo have a separate billing system.

I once stayed and had both a hotel and separate bar/restaurant offer. Both didn’t trigger. The bar/restaurant one didn’t trigger in the Connaught grill either (it wasn’t listed but took a chance just under it in the bar another time)

• Andrew says:

And in October they had a specific F&B Amex offer, so I think quite separate POS systems.

• YC says:

Thanks might see if they could open a room tab at front desk. Probably safest

• meta says:

BA doing it again with Porto. All flights cancelled until 23 August! No email whatsoever about cancellation although I did a booking via Amex Travel. Now to find alternatives and see what to do. It will be interesting if I have take BA to court twice over the same destination.

• Anna says:

Oh no! You should be able to do this with your eyes closed, though, @meta. BA should be sanctioned if they make you go through MCOL for doing this twice.

• ChrisC says:

Amex are the ones to send notifications as they are your agent.

• meta says:

I know. But not a word from them either! Hopefully they’ll sort me out on TAP.

• JFS says:

I’ve got the email on friday. Was supposed to fly out on 19th.
          Still deciding what to do next as the inbound on September 2nd is still showing as operating.
          Don’t want to force them to route us via Madrid as it is another opportunity to go wrong when the clowns in government start messing around with Amber +++😠😠😠😠

• meta says:

I will be asking TAP direct. Re-route via Madrid is not an option as it’s not even possible on my dates.

• CH says:

Evening.
    Has anyone managed to pay a United Utilities water bill with Amex?
    As far as I’m aware, PayPoint isn’t an option (though not tried) and tried without success at a post office. Incidentally, the post office wouldn’t even take bendy.

• Luke says:

If I cancel a booking in my name and get an £800 FTV, if I made a booking for me and 3 family members costing £200 each, could I use the whole FTV or would I only be able to use it against my fare?

• Anna says:

You can do this for BA holidays, I’m not sure if it’s the same for flight-only bookings.

• EOC says:

I used a BA holidays FTV against a new flight only booking yesterday

• EOC says:

And the value of FTV was less than flights so had to pay whole cost of new flights on BAPP against the promise of FTV value coming back from Holidays dept to the new card. Oh joy, something else to have to check on. What s the betting they send the refund back to the 2 year plus old cancelled BAPP..

• Anna says:

That’s actually preferable to sending it back to a card you’re trying to hit a spend target on! Just get it transferred to your bank account.

• Andy says:

Any recommendations (based on personal experience) for a central London hotel to celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary in. Was thinking a 5* place, with either a lovely room or maybe stretch to a suite, 4 nights in August 20-24.

Is this the kind of thing I should be asking @emyr too ?

• Rob says:

Def speak to Emyr if you want 4 nights as he may have access to 443 or similar deals and can chat to the hotel on the day about upgrades etc.

• TJ says:

And if you have Amex, check for any hotel group offers you many have as these can be used in conjunction with a booking via Emyr.

• Andy says:

Thanks, didn’t know about using them through Emyr, we’ve 4 cards (and a brass neck) we may be able to use 👍🏻

• Andy says:

Thanks Rob, email sent 👍🏻

• Anna says:

Might not be the exact location you want but we booked the Kimpton Fitzroy through Emyr for my birthday in May, we booked either a deluxe or superior room (one up from entry level) and got upgraded to a beautiful junior suite with a bathroom to die for! Got free cocktails as Spire plus birthday muffin and they served breakfast in the suite on the last morning at no extra charge. Use the £100 Amex offer x 2 so it was staggeringly good value for money!

• The Savage Squirrel says:

The Ampersand has some beautiful characterful suites and is very likeable generally but is in South Kensington.
      Corinthia has a beautiful interior both downstairs and upstairs and a regular room would still impress. Comments on their suites will require someone bigger spending than me 😀 .

• Anna says:

Does it matter what return date you state when you order a day 2 test? So if you tell them you’re flying home on a particular date then return earlier (or later), there won’t be an issue with entering the confirmation number on the PLF?

• TGLoyalty says:

No the number is just a number there’s no validation via the PLF

Plans change can’t see why the day 2 wouldn’t be valid if it was used earlier or later. (As long as it’s within 2 days of arriving)

• Anna says:

Thanks – that’s what I was thinking but wouldn’t put it past the government to try & get people to stump up for extra tests by linking the confirmation number indelibly to a specific flight! Expert Medicals does ask for your flight number and return date when you order the test but hopefully that’s just so they make sure it gets to you in time to take it by day 2.

• A says:

I just landed at LHR from JFK.
          Used the cheapest 2&8 test provider from near the top of the updated list on the gov site to get a PLF number – which happened to be a slightly suspect £25 self pick up from a big yellow storage unit. There was no ‘slots’ available for the actual 2&8 dates for me , so I put random dates in the future as I’m past the point of caring – I just needed the PLF and don’t really care about the tests or being scammed for more money than is absolutely necessary.
          PLF accepted, no checks at LHR whatsoever, e-gates working, went straight through and out. Plane to kerbside in under five minutes.

• TGLoyalty says:

You do actually need a day 8 negative test to end isolation …

• Babyg says:

the number needs to be a real/valid number, i typoed my randox day2 test number and the PLF form said the number was invalid and i couldnt continue until i corrected it, but agreed dates don’t matter…

• a270 says:

Can you buy a Hilton gift card at a Hilton hotel and trigger the £50 off Amex offer? If yes, are the giftcards in USD and can be used in USA?

• Yorkshire Rich says:

Just a quick one, I booked the fellows house, curio collection for night in a few weeks. Does anyone know if Emyr can get offer something with this hotel?

• Rob says:

Not at Curio (since the hotel won’t be in the wider Virtuoso scheme yet) – Hilton Impressario only covers Conrad, Waldorf Astoria and LXR hotels.