Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 26th July

Comments (425)

• Benilyn says:

Anyone know when the enhanced 70k platinum SUB ends?

• Andrew says:

Still here at the moment – but no end date mentioned.

• YC says:

I would recommend taking screenshots of the offer you sign up for. Amex IT is not doing well lately and I’m struggling to get my 50k SUB

• VerdantBacon says:

On that note, when does the 90k refer cap reset? Card year or calendar year? Player 2 is due to refer me to the Plat soon for the 70k SUB but she’s hit 90k refer points already.

• mark2 says:

calendar year

• VerdantBacon says:

That’s a bit of a pain, but thank you for the answer Mark.

Guess I’ll get a refer from here when the time comes.

• TGLoyalty says:

Unless she is fortunate to have two MR accounts then ask for a merge and if she’s lucky her other non Platinum MR account gets kept so you get a reset (you can see the number of the account to check) … obviously a very unique circumstance

• tony says:

Does anyone have the current lunch menu for Galleries Club at Heathrow? Thanks

• George K says:

I happen to have kept a screenshot from last week… I see Soup of the Day, Vegetable Rogan Josh, Pasta Bolognese, Lions’ Wings, Vegan rainbow salad, Mixed leaf with pulled ham hock, Harissa chickpea and orange salad, and Afternoon tea (sandwiches and cake). They also have Match pies, which are pretty good (England = Stake & Ale, Scotland = Scotch and Wales = chicken & leek)

All told

• Tony says:

Blinding. Thank you very much! Wonder if there will be any pies left by the weekend!

• Vern says:

Don’t have the pasta bolognese. We had it last week. Awful. Very greasy no taste.

• MM says:

US to keep Covid travel restrictions in place as Delta variant spreads
    No plan to lift limits ‘at this point’ in blow to hope of salvaging international summer travel season

• YC says:

Is it possible to return rimowa to bond st?

• Chas says:

We know what you did….. 😉

• YC says:

Did? Or trying to do? Frustrated customer today

• Mark says:

If it goes back onto the same card, it wouldn’t work, would it? Or they refund to a different method?

• Mark says:

Currently, you are unable to return merchandise purchased online at one of our RIMOWA stores. To return your order, please box the product in its original box and send it back via your pre-paid UPS label which can be created in your account.

• Number9 says:

And that is exactly what I did! I had to chase them after 3 days to get it picked up but once I emailed and told them collection was arranged next working day.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

@Number9 how did it go points wise? Did you get a refund to an alternative payment method?

• BJ says:

@Number9, I hope you find an airline offering fares without hand baggage for your next flight.

• Chas says:

Sounds like you might have to cancel your original payment card before you return the item, so that the points won’t be deducted.

• BJ says:

Suspect YC did something to the payment card before trying to return the item.

• Number9 says:

The points hadn’t posted I don’t think they had even tracked as I didn’t get the normal Amex email, I then decided with the current Hilton buy 80k get 80k points for not much more money was right way to go for me.

• Number9 says:

BJ … I had bought a handbag but I didn’t love it enough to keep.

• Ls says:

TAP status match extended for another 12 months.

• Doug M says:

On a quick read thorough it seems to exclude mileage and status extension to anyone that did the status match this year and hasn’t flown with them.

• Liam says:

Did this come via email or is there a link to the details? I haven’t flown with TAP since doing it; I live in the US so mainly did it for UA lounge access on domestic or TATL flights.

• Doug M says:

Email. If I view online it remains personalised so can’t send link.

• Sammyj says:

Any recommendations for a Barcelona hotel?
    Overwhelmed with choice, loads of top rated seem to be under £100. 4 nights starting this Sat, without the kids – looking for a nice rooftop pool & bar, close to stuff to see and do? Only have IHG status & loads of points to burn, but IC & Indigo closed, Kimpton v.expensive.

• Michael C says:

Hotel 1898 has a small pool, lovely rooftop bar (and indoor bar) and is right on the Ramblas but v peaceful once you go through the door!

• Harry T says:

I stayed at the Barcelona EDITION last week for four nights. The location is ideal for seeing sights in the city centre. It also has a rooftop plunge bar and a decent rooftop bar. The service and room hard product are excellent, with decent food, especially in Bar Veraz. Unfortunately it may be outside of your budget if you are mentioning £100, but it’s well worth the money and usually considerably more expensive. I paid 290 euros a night and booked via Emyr, who managed to get us a rate with breakfast and 50 euros food and beverage credit a day. Considering the breakfast bill was 60-70 euros a day and the food quality was commensurate with that price, the rate seemed like a good deal.

• AnotherUser says:

There’s loads of nice hotels in the city, and anywhere reasonably central will have plenty to do around it. Taxis are fairly cheap and public transport is good, too. It’s a safe city, but some of the area around the Raval can look/feel a bit shady (it’s fine, but some might feel uncomfortable staying there).

I’ve stayed in Two Hotel by Axel before the pandemic. Would recommend, if you’re happy with a ‘heterofriendly’ hotel. Nicely designed rooms, good service, good breakfast, and a nice rooftop pool. Location is near nice places to eat and drink and loads of things are in walking distance, but it’s far enough away from the Ramblas etc. that it’s not too hectic around the hotel. Pricing was very reasonable for the standard of hotel when I stayed, too – I’d guess you’ll be able to get it for under budget.

• AMC says:

Solihull not allowing to pay Horizon with Bendy. Anyone else having similar issues?

• TGLoyalty says:

Unless it’s under £200/300 I don’t think it’ll work

• Magarathea says:

Covid willing, my wife and I are planning a 10 day visit to Dubai next March and I want to try out the Festival City area. We have been to Dubai twice before and are basically looking for sun and a pool with local facilities. I am awash with IHG points and am thinking of either the Crowne Plaza or the IC Residence Suites, both of which are priced at 18k – 21k IHG points per night at that time. We are both IHG Spire members. Does anyone have experience of these hotels to help me chose and what is the likelihood of Spire status upgrades with them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• roberto says:

NB… Ramadan starts 1st April 2022

• Jac says:

The IC residence consist of flats. for 20K you will get a small studio flat (don’t expect any upgrades). The swimming pool on the top floor is indoors. If I remember well it has a few lounge chairs and jacuzzi outside but not the place I would recommend if you are looking for sun and pool and facilities. I have nr stayed at the CP but stayed at the IC hotel next door and it might share the same facilities (nice pool overlooking the creek)

• Rob says:

We did 5 nights at IC over New Year and have previously stayed at CP. Works well – good views down creek, shopping centre is ‘full’ (many Dubai malls are semi derelict), quick taxi ride to most places. For novelty get the water taxi across the creek to the metro station.

Fab for New Year as FestC has one of the bigger firework displays and hotel guests can watch from the pool deck. This is not official policy and staff do not tell anyone unless you ask.

Pool is shared between IC and CP and cross charging is allowed.

• Magarathea says:

Thanks Jac and Rob. Very useful information. In the meantime I have just realised that the IC Residence Suites is actually a mile away from the main IC and the CP hotels so not really handy for the pools and the FC mall etc. Thanks again.