Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 26th July

Comments (425)

• AnotherUser says:

Anyone flown to/from Edinburgh or Glasgow recently? Curious about how busy they are…

• Patrycja says:

We’ve flowed twice from Edinburgh in the last two months and it was very quiet

• Harry T says:

Flew to Barcelona from Edinburgh on 27th July and back on 25th July. Pretty quiet – got through security in about five mins and border control in 30 seconds (eGates). There’s more passengers than during peak covid but it’s still a pleasant experience.

• N says:

EDI this weekend. Very quiet.

• Grant H says:

Flew from Edinburgh this evening on BAs London City flight @ 18:15- super quiet in the airport and BA lounge (which is now open) but the flight was full.

• Heather says:

I’m supposed to be flying TFS via Madrid tomorrow morning on Iberia using avios.
    Says online check in is not available and when I look on flight details it says flight number, economy, CANCELLED.

I’ve checked and the flight is still running, does this mean my bookings cancelled? I’ve had no confirmation to say so.
    Haven’t been able to get through to BA today.

• Anna says:

What time is your scheduled departure? I’ve been in a similar position – I think if I were you I would head off to the airport asap, and if one or both legs have been cancelled, tell the desk staff you expect them to re-route you as per your EU261 rights. There are plenty of other carriers going to TFS at the moment and it might actually be better to fly direct if you can. Of course this is if you still want to travel!
      I had a domestic connection cancelled a couple of years ago – I had a text from BA telling me to call them to “discuss options” but we were already at the airport so collared the ground staff who put us in a taxi to LHR at a cost of £300 once they realised we knew our rights!

• Anna says:

Also – is it on one PNR? If not and only one leg has been cancelled you have less protection as they are then not liable for you missing a connecting flight. But your best bet is talking to a human at the airport at this point.

• Anna says:

Finally – if you’re going from LHR BA fly to TFS every day so I’m sure it would be feasible to move you from Iberia to the BA service. I know this as I set up an alert from RFF some time ago and am getting pinged every day for availability at the moment (not that you would need avios availability but clearly there are free seats). Good luck – hoping to be there myself next weekend!

• Heather says:

Thank you, it’s all on one PNR.
            We are flying from LHR but they cancelled the direct flight for tomorrow a couple of weeks ago and transferred us to a day later.
            We wanted to travel tomorrow as everything was planned so took the indirect flight.
            Supposed to be flying 10.40 so will just get there very early

• Anna says:

Ah right – has “cancelled” only just appeared in your booking? I’ve got a cancelled AGP flight which I moved to GIB but still shows as cancelled in my BAEC account – I can’t see the GIB flight details till I go into MMB. So it might still be referring to your original cancellation.

• Tracey says:

Those nearing 18 can now book their covid jabs on the NHS booking website.

• Donna says:

Tesco are closing their current accounts! Any thoughts for a replacement to pay HMRC, other than the paid edition of curve?

• Jonathan says:

There’s Tesco Clubcard Pay that’s nearly the exact same as the the current account, it’s a pre paid debit card only without the abilities of a full current account like direct debits, paying in cheques and or cash etc

It’s essentially just for everyday spending, definitely worth a look

• Raisa says:

I’m sure this has been asked before – but is there any travel insurance that covers hotel/flight cancellation in case you test positive just before your holiday? (Or given that Greece is testing arrivals, covers hotel cancellations in case you test positive on arrival)? Thanks