Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 27th July

Comments (382)

• John Caribbean says:

I did the upgrade/downgrade thing at 10k on my BA Amex, and got my voucher after some messing about.
    I’ve now been sent a new (12 month free card) voucher for hitting 20k, which hasn’t actually happened. I’ve done about 12k.
    Leaving aside the dishonesty of keeping the voucher which I haven’t earned, is this voucher likely to get taken back from me?

• BJ says:

Your query isn’t quite clear. If you were blue and upgraded to BAPP you got the voucher because you spent £10k. You will keep this voucher. If you are saying you then downgraded again and a new blue card was issued this does not mean you will earn another voucher for surpassing £12k after 1st September. You can only earn one voucher per qualifying card year regardless of number of upgrades and downgrades you did, or however many cards were issued. To earn more than one voucher in one year you would need to cancel and successfully reapply and spend £10k on each card within a year, and that would have to be a BAPP when crossing the £10k threshold.

• JohnT says:

Sometimes it looks like a 1 year voucher if you had already spent 10k before upgrading but check on BA as
        Should be 2year one?

• John Caribbean says:

I upgraded to BAPP and got the two year voucher.
        I downgraded to regular, and one month later, in the same earning year, without spending much money, I got a one year voucher.
        So I earned two vouchers in one year, and I didn’t hit the 20k threshold

• BJ says:

Time to be happy and stay quiet, I doubt you will lose either voucher.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Rand up a Hilton to prepay a hotel so I can use the offer. They sent me a payment link and did it.

It’s pending on my Amex as Hilton Worldwide, no email and only noticed after it said inshore only. Should I be worried?

• BJ says:

Possibly, the specific hotels normal payment credentials need to be used to trigger the offers hence the participation list. If this payment process is not that normally used by the hotel then amex may not recognise it. If it is their norm and they are on the list you should be fine.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

It’s Conrad st james, never stayed before so I don’t know if it’s the norm

• Neil Spellings says:

I booked and pre-paid via Emyr and it did trigger the Amex offer. They put a pending transaction on my Amex when I booked but that wasn’t enough to trigger the offer, so after a drink in the bar during our stay, I then got the Amex “You’ve used your offer” email two days after checking out. The statement lines for both transactions were “3CPAYMENT*CONRAD LONDON” if it helps.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

That is really useful, thank you. I am on a 3 for 2 via Emyr, would like the extra discount but it is a cracking deal either way

• Kai says:

It’s fine. I paid at the same hotel and got exactly the same and the offer was triggered no problem.

• John says:

The offer is on “checkout spend” and normally when you call the front desk would just charge it through their system (they have your card number from the booking).

They wouldn’t send you a payment link if you actually paid at checkout…

• Andrew says:

Sounds like it’s a no on this occasion – was worth a try though.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Thats annoying. Was definitely worth a try though

• Number9 says:

I tried to prepay Hilton at Bournmouth, phoned up they couldn’t even send me a payment link so couldn’t use offer. I had given my Son the booking it wasn’t on either of his 2 supp cards. On plus side I got double points re that promotion.

• Number9 says:

Actually it wasn’t a link it was a form to fill out to authorise payment.

• BJ says:

For people ringing up hotels to make payments or to try and get better deals, you might find that the in-house conference and events office (if they have one) is more helpful than reception. .

• Super Secret Stuff says:

F*** wish I new that yesterday hahaha! Chalk it up as experience I think

• Number9 says:

Or concierge, they managed to sort something else out for me.

• Ben says:

Data point – Used the prepay link to pay for my parent’s Hyatt stay at GSY last weekend – didnt get an email but received the credit after a few days.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Oh thank goodness, I may stand a chance! I have just noticed that the transaction has switched from “Online – Other” to “Travel – Lodging” so guess it is a waiting game…

• Muhammad Abdullah says:

You don’t need to worry. I can see the £1 pre-auth on my CSJ stay is also showing up as “Hilton Worldwide”.

• HH says:

Follow-up to the Accor Book With Confidence refund discussion two days ago. The hotel reception informed me the refund needs to be requested manually, separately from the cancellation (???) and gave me their email address. They replied yesterday morning to confirm it’s been issued and I can see it on my Amex today. Nowhere did Accor explain this, very odd but at least it was honoured in the end.

• RichS says:

I’ve had this with a couple of Accor properties. It seems cancelling through the Accor app or website doesn’t notify the hotel – both hotels I have called have promptly refunded me.

• Gary says:

Used two BA 2-4-1 vouchers Nov 2020 in same booking to depart Jul 2021 which was cancelled by BA. The vouchers expire Jan & Apr 2022. Would there be an extension on the expiry dates if the vouchers were returned? If yes, for how long? not so keen on FTV & still considering re-routing.

• pauldb says:

The vouchers will already have been extended, and won’t be further extended because of the cancellation. You can see the dates on BA.com under Manage My Account -> My eVouchers.

You can still reroute a FTV, but equally if you use that route to extend you might prefer doing it on a lower value dummy booking.

• Gary says:

pauldb thanks. Have 360k avios + £2400 in the original booking. If did dummy booking to extend expiry of companion vouchers for say 60k avios and £400 charges – would I get the “change” of 300k avios + £2000 back? Or it’s another voucher?

• Joe says:

You could have it all back if BA has cancelled – and then do a small booking to convert to FTV to extend the vouchers.

• pauldb says:

As Joe says, take a full free refund on the longhaul booking. Then make a shorthaul booking and voluntarily FTV that one. Just bear in mind you can’t change the passenger names when you come to make the “real” future booking.

• Yorkieflyer says:

Similar question, if my flight is cancelled by BA can I rebook upto a year after original date of travel as per new policy even if the 241 voucher would expire shortly after the original date of travel?

• Tracey says:

I want to avoid triggering a companion voucher on my BAPP until after 1/9, but want to book a BA holiday soon. Can my OH apply for a blue card and pay for the holiday with that. I realise that means sacrificing 0.5 Avios/£.

• Andrew says:

Just pay the deposit for the holiday and pay the balance nearer the time

• BJ says:

You can hold the holiday with a small deposit if you are not too close to your £10k threshold. Otherwise you can do as you suggest, bag the referral bonus and have your husband secure holiday with his new blue. If you do this soon then after receiving the card he could go via the new additional cardholder 2k offer in which he would receive an additional 1k avios when you spent £300 on the additional card. You could get that simply by using the additional card to pay another £300 off your holiday. A worthwhile exercise to get 12k referral bonus plus 2k additional card bonus while waiting to trigger your 241. After triggering your 241 you could consider cancelling your BAPP and aiming for another voucher (via later upgrade) on your husbands blue. Don’t forget that the extra 0.5 avios on BAPP is is costing you about £20/month.

• TGLoyalty says:

You’d be sacrificing 2 avios / £

• BJ says:

But only after ‘paying back’ the monthy fee which would require around £650 spend at BA or £1250 spend elsewhere every month assuming 1ppa.

• Claire says:

Trying to work out best thing to do with a booking that’s looking unlikely to be cancelled. It’s a return in business to jkf booked during 50% off sale using 2 for 1 ba voucher so using 60000 avios. If I get ftv I would most likely use for short haul flights to Scotland (already have 2 2 for 1 vouchers in my name. This one is husbands). I’m unlikely to use all 60000 so wondering if I did use it for a couple of domestic flights could I then book something to use up the balance and then cancel this pay the £35 and get the avios remaining back. Hope that’s clear. Thanks

• Joe says:

Can you move it via MMB to a date / flight more likely to be cancelled?

• Tracey says:

Sometimes you get lucky and after making a booking with your voucher, the remaining Avios are returned to you.

• Toppcat says:

If I upgrade to Ambassador status, does that lock in my level of IHG status for as long as I hold Ambassador, or can that still move around? Appreciate that one of the Ambassador benefits is Platinum status, so it won’t drop below that level in any case.

I’m currently Platinum, but will be Spire once my next set of CC points hits my account.

Deciding whether to wait for that, or just push the button on Ambassador now – otherwise it might be a bit tight for a stay I have coming up.

• Andrew says:

Apparently if you’re Spire already, then AMB keeps it at Spire after year end, if your AMB membership is active, even if your earnings dip below the threshold – ie instead of maintaining Platinum which is an advertised benefit, if you’re already Spire it will maintain that instead.

• Toppcat says:

Thanks Andrew – yes, I thought I recalled reading that. Not sure whether it works the other way though – i.e. if I take out AMB whilst Platinum, will that stop me upgrading to Spire, even when my activity would justify Spire?

• John says:

No why would you think that?

• Toppcat says:

Because if taking out AMB can lock you into Spire if that is your status when you take it out, then it may be the case that taking out AMB can lock you into Platinum if that is your status when you take it out.

It shouldn’t be the case, but I wouldn’t want to make assumptions on the flexibility of IHGs IT… Hence asking if anyone has direct experience of this.

• Chas says:

Toppcat – I’ve got some recent experience of this; I was Platinum Ambassador, but my Amb status expired end of June. Despite this, IHGs website was still showing me as Plat Amb through the last few weeks. When my CC points posted last week, it took me over the threshold for Spire and my status was quickly updated to Spire Ambassador. I’ve no idea why it’s still showing me as Amb when I also have a prompt to renew – perhaps because there’s an offer valid to end July?

A query for others though; am I right in thinking that I will retain Spire until 31 Dec 22? And tagging on from Toppcat’s original query, if I don’t retain Spire next year, but do take out my Amb again before my expiry date, will I then retain Spire Amb throughout 2023, or drop to Plat Amb?

• Toppcat says:

Thanks Chas – that is good to know.

Also – this is what I mean about IHG’s IT!

• Patrick Cold says:

Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels close to the Albert Hall please? If we could use Hilton Diamond/IHG Sp. Amb. it would be handy but not essential. Thank you.

• The Lord says:

There is the Curio Kensington, Hilton Hyde Park and Doubletree Hyde Park. All 10-15mins walk from Albert Hall. Curio probably the closest but the other two on the park and it is a nice stroll across to the Albert Hall

• Patrick Cold says:

Terrific! Thank you The Lord.

• Michael C says:

We had a lovely stay at Hilton HP a few weeks ago: literally looking out onto K Gardens, lovely b-fast and right next to tube.

• Andrew says:

I can second that. Very pleasant hotel and good breakfast. Bargain price.

• BJ says:

There is also the new DT in SK that used to be CP, only a bit over 40k when I checked last week IIRC.

• Rob says:

I’d say Hilton Hyde Park is nearer BUT not sure when the park closes at night. If the park shuts you’re stuffed.

Curio is fine, feel free to walk around the corner and say Hi if you book it 🙂

Ampersand Hotel at South Ken is even closer and smart.

• Patrick Cold says:

Thank you! I`m there for a prom. and probably quite late. Otherwise I will!