Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 27th July

Comments (382)

• Clive says:

Hope Rob doesn’t mind but a friend of mine is doing an MBA and has a survey appertaining to Tourism in Cyprus. It takes only about 10 minutes to complete and the demographic here would be ideal.

Many thanks

• Michael says:

I am meant to be flying to Geneva tomorrow on BA and checked that I can fly on the Swiss Embassy website. I have a UK passport and have been double jabbed. I can’t check into my flight and get a message saying my travel documents aren’t valid (although it never asked to check these). I’m not sure what to do as BA also helpfully say not to call them as they can’t help you.

Anyone travelled to Switzerland recently or know why the website says this?

Thanks

• Rhys says:

BA won’t let you check in online if they need to do further verification checks at the airport (which is 80% of the time these days with the patchwork restrictions implemented by different countries).

• Michael says:

Thanks Rhys,

I think the fact it said my documents weren’t valid was what worried me. I also called BA Gold and they rang the team at Heathrow who said more or less what you have already said,

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Just for further reassurance I’ve had mixed luck being able to check in online (going from Italy it worked from Milan but not Bologna, and from Heathrow it has worked about 60% of the time). Make sure you have everything to hand, get to the airport a little earlier (although so far I’ve not needed to you never know how bust it’s going to be)

• Michael says:

Thanks SECR,

Great to hear your experience. Do you think 2 hours is enough time for an EU flight or longer?

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

2 hours is enough. It’s unlikely you’ll run into problems but if you do then that’s plenty of time to resolve them

• HH says:

I had an odd experience flying to Geneva last week. I had the same messages as you, at check-in the agent then bizarrely insisted I need a visa (with my UK passport). When I explained I definitely don’t, it took two calls for someone to authorise her to check me in. Bizarrely through all of this they didn’t check the one thing they’re supposed to – that I’m fully vaccinated!

• Mark says:

Does anyone know who the current cheapest day 2 test provider is?

• Anna says:

I’m using Expert Medicals at £35.99 but I think someone said there was a £26 out there?

• ChrisC says:

Anna have you got the test yet?

Was there an expiry date on the kit. Id so how long a date was it?

• Jonathan says:

The kits last for over a year, your risk is the company going bust/being closed down in the meantime (not unlikely given they’re almost certainly cutting corners to get to those prices) so I wouldn’t speculatively buy from the cheap suppliers.

• Zoe says:

Ordered Expert Medicals last Tuesday. Only one out of three have been despatched. That one was fine.

• Dej says:

I’ve seen tests for £2.99 today! But only in Newcastle.. Others are as low as £25 but via video consultation ( I have no idea of they are any good but they are all via links from the government site) eg 1010labs.co.uk)

• Dej says:

Another one is £19.99.. looks like this is turning in to the wild west.

• Rob says:

Wakey wakey. If I advertise test kits for sale every Wednesday afternoon from the back of a kebab shop in Newcastle for £2.99, I get top spot on the Government website. Everyone else has to pay full.

You MUST have a video consultation because the test must be ‘overseen’ by a medical professional or it isn’t valid.

• Ben says:

Anyone know why the Amex Europe hotel offers almost never include hotels in Italy? As someone currently based in Italy, highly frustrating!

• Aaron C says:

Expert Medical: There was some discussion about them last week since they are currently the cheapest Day 2 provider that offers home testing. The tests are £35.99 (this includes £7.99 delivery). I ordered mine on 18/7, it was waiting for me when I got home on 20/7 and I sent it back on 21/7. I got the results last night (27/7).

Can’t complain really except about a slow result. I’m not bothered about that but if you want a quicker result then use someone else. However, the result really isn’t your concern with Day 2 tests.

• Dave1985 says:

Hope everyone is having a good second freedom week!

🎉

• ChrisC says:

Apparently AA moving back to LHR T3 from next week except JFK flights which will remain at T5

Could just be flyer talk gossip though

• Rob says:

No1 Lounge opens this week so they know something …..

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

I heard the first bit, but not the except JFK bit so I looked at the Heathrow terminal finder and put JFK AA mid August and it was showing T5. Now if I do the same with LAX it shows T3 so AA (except JFK) might be moving.

So why is the JFK route staying? I know it’s important but it just creates confusion

• Bob says:

Wasn’t it because of some kind of schedule harmonization with BA flights to NY before the pandemic?

• AJ says:

Has anyone had any problems with their COVID PASS? I’ve taken both vaccines but only one dose showing on my pass. I have contacted 119, my GP, and NHS digital who all seem to be blaming each other. I have been trying to sort this out for over a week and due to fly to CYPRUS in under 48hrs.

If anyone has experienced a similar situation please advise how you managed to sort it. Thanks all

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

When did you get your second? There’s normally a delay between receiving the vaccine until you’re considered fully protected

• DarrenS says:

My son had the same problem. Only the second dose showing. Rang the GP and got the letter confirming both doses. The App was updated after a couple of days.

• tonyb says:

My wife had the same thing her second jab was on the app and when I spoke to the Doctor who gave her the jab he said it was down to him he apologised and it showed on the app about 24 hours later

• AJ says:

Thank you for the replies. I had my second jab in February! I have spoken to the GP who claim everything was entered correctly but they said they would update regardless. This was on Thursday but still no joy on the app/online. I have a printout showing I’ve taken both doses from GP but it’s not a COVID pass with QR code and I’m worried they won’t accept.